Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Stones & Religion
Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 10, 2014 19:51

I believe that all of Mick's children have been baptised into Christian churches; his four with Jerry all into C of E at Richmond at various times. I tend to think what we choose for our children is sometimes more significant than what we choose for ourselves (although of course it may have been their mothers choices which were decisive).

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 10, 2014 23:18

Lady Jayne
I believe that all of Mick's children have been baptised into Christian churches; his four with Jerry all into C of E at Richmond at various times. I tend to think what we choose for our children is sometimes more significant than what we choose for ourselves (although of course it may have been their mothers choices which were decisive).

I do too. If you want your children baptized in a certain faith, it tends to speak to your own deepseated beliefs.
And we all know Mick would be the last one to actually tell us what he believes in. Mick likes to play the antagonist.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 10, 2014 23:32

stupidguy2
Lady Jayne

I do too. If you want your children baptized in a certain faith, it tends to speak to your own deepseated beliefs.
And we all know Mick would be the last one to actually tell us what he believes in. Mick likes to play the antagonist.

Not necessarily. Some just go along with what the spouse wants because they don't care that much themselves. Hard to know with Mick, certainly the case with Keith.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2014 23:32

...... I pray The Stones release a new album ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 10, 2014 23:44

I thought all the Stones were nice Jewish boys - like Elvis was.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 10, 2014 23:47

latebloomer
stupidguy2
Lady Jayne

Not necessarily. Some just go along with what the spouse wants because they don't care that much themselves. Hard to know with Mick, certainly the case with Keith.

True, but Jerry seems more into that new agey stuff...and then the Kabbala phase..If anyone is less likely to be just go along with the other's wishes, it would seem to be her.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 11, 2014 08:15

In Mick's words/lyrics:

"I hope we're not too messianic,
Or a trifle too satanic,
But we love to play the blues...."

I'm not sure any of them are convinced of what they believe in. Sometimes our head gets in the way of our heart.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 11, 2014 11:45

I remember Charlie being quoted in one of the early Stones books saying something like "Being Jewish, I was keen to make some money", describing the early years.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 11, 2014 17:57

stupidguy2
Lady Jayne

Mick in an interview a few years ago said that Richard Dawkin's the God Dilusion is hard to argue with..

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: June 11, 2014 18:19

In this video, Jagger thinks of himself as a "non religious man".
It's an interwien in Brazil with Caetano Veloso.

Remember "Saint of me". Not very religious feeling..

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 11, 2014 18:38

Estoneado
I find it very interesting that Charlie is jewish. I had guessed it. He always looked very jewish to me.

He "looks" Jewish!!!! What does that mean?!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2014 18:42

Rockman
...... I pray The Stones release a new album ...

Ha ha! The rules will apply if they do or don't. "'God' works in mysterious ways" is they don't. "It was/wasn't meant to be". And on and on and on.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 11, 2014 18:43

It's one thing to use religious references, wearing a cross here, putting god, devil or angels in lyrics, etc. But when you think about it, they're all too smart to actually be religious. I'm not saying they're openly atheist (they could be personally, who knows).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2014 18:46

Gazza
Charlie' s mother was Jewish, as I understand it. Which, as far as I understand, technically makes him Jewish as I've read that they take their faith from the mother's side.

Wow, that's beyond a stretch! It "technically makes him Jewish" because of a "faith"?!!? Amazing and amusing how such fiction ('God', religion) has such control over people.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 12, 2014 03:13

The reports of Keith being married to a religious woman always has puzzled me. How could that be? He's definately not knowen for his deep religious views but rather the hardest partier of all time so how could someone claiming to be the exact opposite of that find him attractive? Makes no sense to me.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: June 12, 2014 05:13

Keith has said in interviews that he thought he could easily take her away from all that and change her point of view. Likewise, at first she and her family thought they could convince him to "embrace the Lord". But it wasn't that easy. She told a reporter ten years ago "We agree to disagree". That's why Keith spent time alone in his basement studio composing two solo albums.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: June 12, 2014 07:45

[deleted]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 07:55 by SharksWillCry.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 12, 2014 07:52

I wonder why this thread hasn't been banned. Should we start another thread called, "Stones and Politics?"

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: June 12, 2014 09:15

GasLightStreet
Gazza
Charlie' s mother was Jewish, as I understand it. Which, as far as I understand, technically makes him Jewish as I've read that they take their faith from the mother's side.

Wow, that's beyond a stretch! It "technically makes him Jewish" because of a "faith"?!!? Amazing and amusing how such fiction ('God', religion) has such control over people.

It has nothing to do with faith and religion. It's about peoplehood, ethnicity if you'd rather call it that way.
And it's matrilineal.
If your mom is a Jew you're a Jew, you can be an observant Jew or not, but you're still a Jew.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 12, 2014 18:57

Back to the original question ... one Keith bio (maybe Kris Needs's) stated that Keith's parents were atheists
and that Doris took a very dim view of the clergy. Apparently she warned little Keith to keep away from them with both feet.

And yes, Jewishness can be due to faith or ethnicity; in some cases it's both.
It's nothing to be flabbergasted over any more than someone saying they're half Irish or a quarter Japanese or whatever.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 12, 2014 19:07

My own view is that one's faith or beliefs is/are an entirely private matter, and the most agreeable and least abrasive or contentious manner in which a human life can be pursued for however long it is we've got on this earth - is simply to practice one's faith and/or maintain one's belief without inflicting either on other people. I would argue that if more people had historically adopted that attitude and general modus operandi, one particular consequence would have been that half the bloody wars or conflicts the world has witnessed to date might have not been taken place.

Keep it to yourself !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: June 12, 2014 19:18

paulywaul
My own view is that one's faith or beliefs is/are an entirely private matter, and the most agreeable and least abrasive or contentious manner in which a human life can be pursued for however long it is we've got on this earth - is simply to practice one's faith and/or maintain one's belief without inflicting either on other people. I would argue that if more people had historically adopted that attitude and general modus operandi, one particular consequence would have been that half the bloody wars or conflicts the world has witnessed to date might have not been taken place.

Keep it to yourself !!

I agree with you Paulywaul. Keep religion to yourself. One question: why is it accepted muslimwomen wear a "headscarf" (is that the right word?) at work in public places and a Rolling Stones cap is not. I'm not allowed to wear one at work.

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: June 14, 2014 08:01

TheBadRabbit
Miss U.
Keith and Anita dabbled in the occult, her more than him. According to Tony Sanchez's book, Anita wanted some kind of occult wedding ceremony. And there was the trip to see Rio Banana way back when...

I remember reading this, too. I think Anita persuaded Keith to meet with Kenneth Anger as a "consultant" for some kind of 'black magic' wedding. Keith said it "scared the shit" out of him, and they never went back..

Finally....good for Keith, an attaboy! smileys with beer

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: June 14, 2014 08:08

Roll73
I thought all the Stones were nice Jewish boys - like Elvis was.

or Neil Diamond! cool smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 14, 2014 11:33

OutOfTime
One question: why is it accepted muslimwomen wear a "headscarf" (is that the right word?) at work in public places and a Rolling Stones cap is not. I'm not allowed to wear one at work.

Umm. You seriously don't see the distinction? confused smiley

Regarding Bliss's post [I never figured out how to multiquote, sorry!]I remember Charlie being quoted in one of the early Stones books saying something like "Being Jewish, I was keen to make some money", describing the early years., he did indeed say this, and I regret to say it was probably because back in the day it was pretty common to use "Jewish" as a synonym for "tight with money." So he may not have meant it literally.

Date: June 14, 2014 11:40

I think he did mean it in a sense, Aquamarine - if I recall right
the good Gazza once talked with someone who knew Charlie's mother
and apparently his maternal grandmother was indeed Jewish.
Which doesn't mean I think he's observant,
just that he feels entitled to identify himself that way
due to the traditions mentioned earlier in this thread.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 14, 2014 11:46

with sssoul
I think he did mean it in a sense, Aquamarine - if I recall right
the good Gazza once talked with someone who knew Charlie's mother
and apparently his maternal grandmother was indeed Jewish.
Which doesn't mean I think he's observant,
just that he feels entitled to identify himself that way
due to the traditions mentioned earlier in this thread.

Oh, OK, well that would be cool too! Just going by what I understood him to mean at the time, as it was such a common expression. (He may have meant both, I suppose, though if he actually has Jewish heritage himself he may have been less likely to use it in the "tight with money" sense.)

Date: June 14, 2014 11:54

My take is that he meant it both ways - a little self-irony or whatever to call it,
especially since he doesn't seem to take his ethnicity especially seriously. He got married in a church, didn't he?

Probably all this is on page one of this very thread. :E

Date: June 14, 2014 11:57

...back in the day'' that is key b/c folks forget of don't realize it was very taboo to marry ouside one's faith. And, one can't necessarlily tell ones faith by their surname (whatever her surname was?)

I recall Mick J making a remark pertaining to the Beatles' embrace of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - or at least John's, that was somewhat derogatory. (Of course that might be more of a a new religious movement or/and as non-religious.)

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 14, 2014 12:19

The Stones and religion? Well, that's a bit of a stretch.

To reference a poster from above, "the clergy. Apparently she warned little Keith to keep away from them".... The only people Keith kept away from were dentists.

Rock and roll and religion? Can you really put those two terms in the same sentence? I mean, do they really belong together? What about the notion of the good ol' "devil's music"? Next thing you're going to tell me is that Black Sabbath just means a dark and cloudy day on the morning of a church Sunday.

Is nothing (anti-)sacred anymore?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home