Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jamming with Edward
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 23, 2006 09:02

Get it because it's Stones. There's some nice things on it, but it's completely irrelevant.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2006 09:26

Glam Descendant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always wondered if the release of JWE was
> prompted in part by Ry Cooder's accusations at the
> time that the Stones "kept the tapes rolling" when
> he was in the studio and they ripped him off.

That's a good point! There is another sort of 'payback' Rolling Stones Records album, Brian's Joujouka, released around the same time. Did the 'boys' feel a bit guilty and wanted to do something for compensatation or something, and use their own label to do it? Or a a rare moment of soft heartness...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-23 09:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 23, 2006 10:53

this is not a question to ask. You love the Stones, you buy everything they released officially and you buy original records.
We often complain about the vaults not opened. Now you have an opportunity to listen to an impromptu play in the studio not made to be released but they did it at last. Let's go.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 23, 2006 12:34

Guilty? I think BJ's was something special & they knew it. JWE is sort of inexplicable (tho cool), but it did come out just a month after Klein's Hot Rocks (guess which sold more)...Remember those little notes "The Rolling Stones available exclusively on ROLLING STONES RECORDS. Beware of Repackagings" (of which there were many, especially in the UK with ugly and deceptive covers like the pseudo Gimmie Shelter soundtrack).

Date: September 23, 2006 14:23

Yeah, perhaps 'guilty' is not a right word - even though I think Mick and Keith were supposedly happy about how they treated Brian, considering what happened to the man. But anyway - Brian wanted to use that jajouka stuff already to Beggars Banquet, but wasn't allowed. I don't know if there were any plans to release that stuff at the time when Brian was still alive, but released after his death, by Rolling Stones records, it sounded like a tribute to and acknowledgment of their ex-band mate. Anyway, the guy was quite forerunner for 'world music' genre - for example, it took over 20 years for Mick and Keith to realize that maybe Brian had a point in his ideas of integrating Jajouka stuff into Stones record... (why they didn't even put a small credit for Brian in Steel Wheels (like 'inspired by Brian Jones' or something? Tough guys...)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-23 14:25 by Doxa.

Date: September 23, 2006 14:24

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-23 14:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: September 23, 2006 16:05

Thanks y'all. You've convinced me. I'm gonna get it.
RnT

Date: September 23, 2006 17:17

Doxa, I don't claim to know the motives one way or the other, but on the other (hand?) Brian did integrate some Moroccan influences into the RS pre-BB, especially "We Love You's" marvelous last mostly instumental section, droning arabic riffs and orchestral density atop driving rhythm, and also perhaps less successfully on parts of Satanic (which I mostly like). I wonder if he was still in good enough shape to bring what are some pretty visionary ideas to fruition with the Stones by '68, given the footage of the group in "One Plus One" or Brian's rather ghostly aura in R&R Circus...I mean, great slide on one (two?) cuts, some synth or mellotron on another, harp on Dear Dr, the sitar or tamboura on SFM...Always the appropriate coloration even in his last year, but not integral in the shaping of the sound anymore, it seems. BTW do YOU hear his 'percussion' on Rambler? I keep thinking Charlie's ride cymbal or drums...Still think re Continental Drift that with a less gauze-y mix, the Joujouka group upfront along with Mick's malevolent synth (recalling his score to Anger's "Invovcation of My Demon Brother) and minus Matt Clifford's faux 'orchestration' it could been a really visceral, exciting track.

Date: September 23, 2006 19:08

John r, actually I don't hear Brian's percussion in Rambler. I once almost hear it, or maybe I even did, after someone here pointed out where to look for it... But I don't remember exactly where anymore... heh, it's not very up-mixed in any case, if it exists at all.

It's true that there is already that arabic, psychedelic feeling in those '67 stuff you mentioned, but what I've heard that Brian have more spefic Moroccon jajouka things in his mind for Beggars. Anyway, of his plans (and their neglation) for Beggars, I have only second-hand knowledge from Brian Jones specialiasts at LARS board. so there is very little that I exactly know about it (to start more arguing about or anything).

Anyway, I think it is a good thing that there is no arabic style of influences in Beggars; samba of "Sympathy" and chaotic tamboura of "Street Fighting Man" is enough for exotism, and the rest is 'back to basics', down to earth blues and country stuff, that makes the album so great!

- Doxa

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 23, 2006 20:11

Doxa Wrote:
> Anyway, I think it is a good thing that there is
> no arabic style of influences in Beggars; samba of
> "Sympathy" and chaotic tamboura of "Street
> Fighting Man" is enough for exotism, and the rest
> is 'back to basics', down to earth blues and
> country stuff, that makes the album so great!

I don't see the logic here. If you like what exotic touches there are, who's to say more of it wouldn't have worked even more nicely? I would have liked to have heard the band move further in this direction, along with their bluesy explorations.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 23, 2006 20:12

toomuchforme Wrote:
> this is not a question to ask. You love the
> Stones, you buy everything they released
> officially and you buy original records.

What a slavish attitude. I love the stones, but wouldn't pay a dollar for Jamming with Edward.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: September 23, 2006 20:47

Ok I can see why someone wouldn't like Edward. The tracks are more jams then songs and more boogie-woogie piano based tunes then Stones rock n' roll, but I love this record.

I bought it on a wim on vinyl since it was only $2 and I really enjoy it. It makes good background music for cleaning the house or playing cards with friends or smoking a bowl....

If your a Nicky Hopkins fan, a must have.

Date: September 23, 2006 21:04

Look if your a Stones fan it's not slavish - it's a great rhythm section simply playing, grooving, with Mick and Nicky and Ry, all fine musicians, and since none of the five individuals are prone to pretentiousness it is a fascinating document, playful, bluesey, loose jams - not a great album of songs. The listener is a fly on the wall. They all sound good dicking around and it's an enjoyable listen once in a while.
as for BB, not speaking for anyone else, Brian made some beautiful contributions - but we dont know how the attempt to integrate more Joujouka/Arabic aspects into the record might have worked. What we do know is the album is classic, as it stands.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 23, 2006 22:44

In my days of collecting, I used to have Blow With Ry as an import single!

A piece of crap if ever there was one.

Date: September 23, 2006 22:53

Was there a JWE "outtake" on the b-side....?

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 24, 2006 17:00

john r Wrote:
> Was there a JWE "outtake" on the b-side....?

Good question!!

If I remember correctly, the B-Side was the live version of Let it Rock from Leeds 1971.

I would love to know exactly how many copies were sold.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home