Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

J Geils Band - Full House
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: September 5, 2006 20:34

Any fans of this record here?, I see why they were such good pals of the Stones, they were a great live band, back in the day. I always wrote them off because of "Freeze Frame" etc, I was wrong this is good stuff.

Re: J Geils Band - Full House
Posted by: frankie ()
Date: September 5, 2006 21:06

Great album! one of the best. I heard first of them through an old neighbour of mine who took a cassette from family in the states they visited. This cassette was even better than the album. A radioconcert for some radiostation. Lost track of the neighbour and the recording.

Posted by: phoneyscelsa ()
Date: September 5, 2006 21:23

One of the best albums ever..

Better than their Double live album "Blow Your Face Out"

Made to be played LOUD....

It ain't nothin but a party

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: September 5, 2006 21:34

the three first album ,,rocks !!!!!!!!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 5, 2006 22:41

First I Look At Purse...

JR

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 5, 2006 22:59

A great live album, Looking for love, Purse, and the one and only "Whammer Jammer"are my favorites.
"Let me hear you Dickens"

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 5, 2006 23:32

There's some high energy rock n roll of Full House, though some of the showmanship stuff doesnt translate imo over the long haul to record...I do like the early studio albums, 'The J. Geils Band", "The Morning After". "Bloodshot" (which came out originally in '73 on red vinyl - which I sold during the punk era - and the underrated "Ladies Invited" ("Chimes" is one of their best)...Liked "Momkey Island" when it came out, but haven't played it in 25 years or so and therefore won't commit myself...But when they hit real big with Love Stinks and Centerfold, it seemed like cheesy sellout music, especially the rinky-dink keyboards and let's say broad themes...

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 5, 2006 23:51

John, l still own as copy of Bloodshot in red vynil, l love it.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 5, 2006 23:52

One of the best live albums ever from one of the best live bands ever. Plus a bunch of great guy, who I had the pleasure of meeting in 1982. They put out another great live album of the 1982 tour. A band I'd love to see again!

First I look at the Purse, Homework, Hard Drivin Man, Whammer Jammer

Date: September 6, 2006 00:28

Loved that LP and saw them circa 1974. Amazing show.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 6, 2006 00:48

Saw them a number of times when I lived back East. Also twice on the Tattoo You tour when they opened for the Stones!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: September 6, 2006 04:27

Yes, early J. Geils band, back when they were esentially a blues and R&B cover band, was great, high energy music. As they became successful and started writing their own material they became an embarrasment. That commercial stuff was/is terrible, especially when held up against all the earlier material. IMO the same is true of Led Zeppelin, great blues cover/rip off band but generally mediocre original material, at least after LZ IV.

Back in the early 1990's I saw "Blues Time", featuring J. Geils, Magic Dick, with drums and stand-up bass at a small club north of NYC called the Turning Point. Just doing blues classics, sounding like the Muddy waters band circa 1950, they were GREAT! Think may still be performing but have not seen them in over a decade.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 6, 2006 05:22

One of My first Albums still love it Today.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 6, 2006 06:32

Absolutely great live band and album. Blow your face out is almost as good as Full House. IMHO

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: MrBird65 ()
Date: September 6, 2006 09:26

That's funny...I just bought "Full House" on CD yesterday evening! Have it on cassette but the tape is nearly 25 years old now... and yesterday saw the CD in a record shop accidentally. It's digitally remastered from the original master tapes as a sticker says. Haven't listened to it because I was out yesterday with a few friends...hope it sounds really good!

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: September 6, 2006 13:13

J Geils Band has always been a favorite of mine. Full House is a fantastic record that brings back some great memories of my more wild and crazy days. Live performances were second to only our boys here, Peter Wolf a great leader/singer. The boys from Boston really cooked and boogied.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: September 6, 2006 14:23

Fantastic album. I like their live albums better than their studio LP's. Great shows in 1982 opening for the Stones. Wish they would put out a DVD of a live show. Or get back together again! They did a US reunion tour about 7 years ago, right?

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 6, 2006 16:43

Time for my semi-annual recommendation that you get Peter Wolf's Sleepless record from a few years ao. Mick and Keith are each on a track and the whole disc is great, really great.

(For those of you who might not know, Wolf was lead singer for J. Geils)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 6, 2006 18:56

Yeah, I remember them opening for the Stones in '82. Certainly better than most support bands these days !

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 6, 2006 19:05

This was the first band I ever saw in concert at the old Boston Gardens. It was the Freeze Frame tour, I wasn't old enough to see them in the 70's. They were so much fun live. Peter Wolf going off one his 5 minute song intros, those were great.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 6, 2006 19:09

AN EXCELLENT LP

Date: September 9, 2006 21:15

Peter Wolf was wild live. His different every night intros were amazing. The band should have recored all their records live. No producer could make them sound better in a studio.

I agree with Cindy...I saw them 5 times, from mid-70s on, and the Freeze Frame Tour was possibly their best.

Their 'reunion' tour was a bust, from what I understand. Several gigs were played to small audiences, and it fizzled. Quite a shame.

However, part of the band still tours and is great. J Geils (guitar) and Migic Dick (harp, horns) have a band called 'Bluestime'. Catch them if you can live. A lot of fun.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: September 10, 2006 03:36

Cindy,

I saw Geils on the freeze frame tour at the Garden also. Thought it was great. The woofer-goofer really puts on a show. I actually saw them at the Garden a few years earlier at a festival seating concert around 1980. I was right up front next to one of the speakers. I couldn't hear for the next day & a half.

Love Full House. Have the LP & have the CD.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 10, 2006 04:43

what are they up to now?

Posted by: zee ()
Date: September 10, 2006 05:04

saw Mr. Geils at a local club last month with Duke Robillard and another jazz cat doing a guitar trio thing...very different from the day...Wolf has a solo career and some fine work...GET SLEEPLESS...his duet with Mick on Nothing But the Wheel could be off Exile it is that great...no idea about the others...As it stands I saw them back up the Stones in Seattle in 81 and no one but the boys could have followed them they were that hot

Posted by: abb05 ()
Date: September 10, 2006 08:26

the two greatest American bands....

the Allman Brothers and J. Geils

Posted by: BrianKeith ()
Date: September 10, 2006 13:25

Great Live Album!
Magic Dick is very good!

Date: September 11, 2006 02:15

Zee: J Geils and Duke Robillard together had to be cool. Two different styles, but 2 guys who can play the guitar, AND entertain. Wish I could have caught that,

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 11, 2006 05:57

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 08:28 by cirrhosis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home