Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Set List idiots
Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: September 3, 2006 17:54

See the songs played chart towards the bottom on the page in the following link:

[p081.ezboard.com]

By my counts.....76 different songs were featured during the 40 Licks Tour

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 3, 2006 17:59

40 licks was the best for obscure songs in the set, but that was ONLY because of all the club gigs

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: September 3, 2006 18:10

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 57, if you include As tears Go By/Con le Mie
> Lacrime as two songs

thx Gazza and taz for info :-)

How long this tour been going? What a shame!
WTF? These guys finally stop smoking weed or something, haha.
seriously though..

I just attended a spring tour of one of my favorite
bands here in the states. 17 shows in 24 days, 141 DIFFERENT songs played.
All in small theatres, and ticketing was $30-40 US. a ticket. Except for
one venue in Connecticut(500 capacity), that cost $72.00. I certainly got
my moneys worth, and a HUGE variety of tunes. Couldn't have been happier. And doing it again October/November. Go ahead do some math.

Come On....Stones..GET REAL! Time to bring 'em all a party where they need it
the most!
Wheres Carol.
Wheres Sittin' on a Fence.
Wheres Dancing with Mr. D.
Wheres @#$%&..the list goes on and on, and on, and on.....

Only ones getting @#$%& now are the fans, in the WALLET.
Time to change it up. Those "Warhorses" should be the exception,
NOT THE NORM.

Date: September 3, 2006 18:46

melillo Wrote:
> 40 licks was the best for obscure songs in the
> set, but that was ONLY because of all the club
> gigs

It wasn't only because of club gigs.Look at all of the set lists,especially at the beginning of the tour and especially some of the arena shows.Unfortunately,I missed out on the club shows (family wedding on the day of the Orpheum Show)(why couldn't it have been a day sooner or earlier?) but,I still managed to get quite a few album tracks.Licks was probably the best but,not the only tour for album tracks.I agree,the real obscurities like Walk And Don't Look Back are best suited for theater shows.Let's have at least a few theater shows for a change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-03 19:15 by Theif in the Night.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 3, 2006 19:11

I've always kept this list since I started seeing them in 89. 11 of my 14 shows are in a stadium and this is how it breaks down for me...

[manifestones.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-03 19:12 by nick.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 3, 2006 19:22

Theif in the Night Wrote:
---
> Then they say,for example,the people in Rio had
> fun.I'm sure they did but,I'm also sure that if
> they threw in Dance Little Sister or something
> like that,their night would not have been ruined.

Dance Little Sister is maybe a little too much;
but songs like Sister Morphine (maybe also a
bordeline case; but ~) Shine A Light,
Long Black Limousine, Going To A Go-Go
or any other number played frequently the last 25 years.
There is a huge grey zone with such songs.
I'm sure many luke warm fans still remember Silver Train.
And where did Let It Bleed disappear? Monkey Man?
hey aired Sweet Vagina sorry Virginia in Charlottesville,
right? More of that!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 3, 2006 19:31

We Love You Baboon B

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 3, 2006 19:56

I think the thing is, is that they have oversaturated the market with all the incessant touring since Voodoo...thousands of shows, and probably all of them had at least half the songs that they are still playing today. They feel thats what the massess want, but most of the massess have seen them now. I sort of agree, that I really dont care what the songs are, as long as they are on, but after abour 50 shows from Voodoo through the current tour, I think they should change it up a bit, as so many people have chimed in on this. To hell what the massess want, let them do what they want to do, which is probably what they are doing anyway...Its much easier to do tours when you dont have to rehearse that much. Even with the new songs, they have just finished the new albums, so they are fresh, too. The set list is great, if you havent seen them in 5 years or so, but so many of us go to so many shows....I would love it if, say they did two shows in a city, if they were entirely(or almost entirely) different shows.

Not likely to happen, but, whatever the set list, we better enjoy it while we can, as I dont see this going on for much longer, as they cant even sell out Washington, Phili, or a lot of the big markets, as they played them out. JMHO
JR

Date: September 3, 2006 20:02

That's what I try to say all the time.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 3, 2006 20:17

Well BV you have opened up a can of worms here !
This one will run and run.

As pointed out above they have been playing basically the same set for 17 years !

Trapped by their own success. There is no easy answer to this dilema.I think it's too late anyway,it's almost over.

THE IRREPLACABLE GREATEST ROCK N ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!!

SC UK

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: September 3, 2006 20:36

stone-relics Wrote:
> I think the thing is, is that they have
> oversaturated the market with all the incessant
> touring since Voodoo...thousands of shows, and
> probably all of them had at least half the songs
> that they are still playing today. They feel
> thats what the massess want, but most of the
> massess have seen them now.
>
>
> whatever the set list,we better enjoy it while we can, as I dont see
> this going on for much longer, as they cant even
> sell out Washington, Phili, or a lot of the big
> markets, as they played them out.

Uare right.....Boston and New York aren't selling well! They've played the same set list for the same audience....and finally the YAWN affect has set in....the masses...simply have better things to spend their $450 US on than a rehash of the same set list again and again....Hell....McDonalds gets it right...it never serves up the same special time after time.....variety is needed badly...

Notice that the Stones aren't even playing Toronto this time around!

Posted by: KCSTONES ()
Date: September 3, 2006 20:58

Stones-relics hit it right on the head...."Its much easier to do tours when you dont have to rehearse that much."

Thats it. They chose the same songs that they always play since its easier than "learning new ones" Pure laziness. How hard can it be to play miss you..simple cord progression. Its not just the Stones. Ozzy plays the same damn setlists also since he's too lazy to rehearse new material. Sad but true.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 3, 2006 21:11

Whoever pointed out that the casual fan doesn't know any Keith songs (with the possible exception of Happy) is dead on. There is NO excuse for him not to change it up more. The casual fan doens't know BTMMR or Slipping Away anyway, so why not throw in something else? Pure laziness, that's why.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 3, 2006 21:36

I pointed this out earlier and after him forgetting the words AND how to play guitar during Slipping Away in Cardiff, I don't think it could be because he can't remember any other

The masses are indifferent to his numbers and the Hardcore fans just groan when he says; "on with the show - slippin' away" WHY does he do it ?

sc uk

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 3, 2006 21:52

taz22 Wrote:

...McDonalds gets it right...it never serves up the same
> special time after time.....variety is needed
> badly...
>

Well, McDonalds shouldn't be a standard for the Stones, and second, McDonalds are still selling burgerssmiling smiley

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 3, 2006 21:53

Our local McD (as well as the other ones I know in my country)
change the offerings at the menu all the time.
Ya can get yer war-horses (horsemeat); but also try other stuff.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: September 3, 2006 22:37

well, bv started this thread, and of course he's doing a great job and he's been to a lot more shows than me etc,but ; there is no democratic answer possible anyway, one must be 100% positive about everything concerning the Stones, any kind of criticizing is not done, everything is perfect and better than ever before.....NOT, that doesn't really matter but the only reason for me to stay on this board is the wide contact of fellow fans which is possible but I certainly don't like the Messiah approach....come on bv, delete me from the board now, I've been critical >>

Date: September 3, 2006 22:58

It's not that easy to be banned form this board shedooby, it's only your opinion the same as bv calls those who post every week a topic about the setlist idiots.

Freedom of speech.

Posted by: einte ()
Date: September 3, 2006 22:59

[www.timeisonourside.com]

maybe they can take a look at this list......ooooops that makes me an idiot

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: September 3, 2006 23:05

I understand they play to the masses, but there is no reason that out of 19-21
songs a night they can't throw a bone out to the die hards in the crowd
who spend thousands of dollars to see this band multiple times a tour. Sway
was wonderful to hear, and Mick blessed me with over 40 different songs in 11
shows. But the europeans are getting screwed. 19 songs, and most of the time
sway isn't played.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 3, 2006 23:08

I'm not saying 'setlist whiners' son't have any valid points (as I said in my earlier post) but from the 2 in Boston 8/05 (1 song, maybe 2, but recall Bitch replaced by Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo) to the 2 I saw in January, there were around 8 different songs (maybe 9? dont feel like checking), & since Mick & Ron both list Out of Control as a top 10 fave, I'd love to heave it back! And re slow (?) Boston sales many Boston fans simply hate the Foxboro/Gilette stadium, and if it wasnt the Stones I'd never go there at all.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 3, 2006 23:21

"So,basically what they are saying in this instance,is that Miss You can be dropped only if it is not replaced by anything else.That doesn't add up."

They didnt play it at either of the Hollywood Bowl shows which were 21 songs each.

The 4 LA shows had 38 different songs. The count goes up to 40 if you include all Southern California shows with San Diego and Fresno.

And I think the setlist geeks have lost sight of the fact that BV's posts are targeting people constantly whining about the setlist without ever having been there. My advice as usual to those people is not to obsessively follow the setlists and collect every last bootleg and whatever shows you go to, enjoy them for what they are.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 3, 2006 23:27

Dan your last 'graph says it - not that its either you love 'em uncritically or are a 'whiner', but to judge an unattended show based on the setlist is rather narrow & a frequent and frustrating occurance.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: September 3, 2006 23:32

Interesting BV or any other non setlist moaner can't answer the simple points made on the four flicks examples. Why did he make a big deal of Sway or rave about rare songs played on flicks Paris? Because he was shocked at their setlists or impromtu. Why? because he has long ago accepted the fact of a vegas type warhorse show that takes minimal effort on their part. Do they deserve that right after all the years? Of Course but are the ones not questioning, pushing them, encouraging them, the idiots after all???????? MEZ

Date: September 3, 2006 23:39

James Lynn Wrote:
> Interesting BV or any other non setlist moaner
> can't answer the simple points made on the four
> flicks examples. Why did he make a big deal of
> Sway or rave about rare songs played on flicks
> Paris? Because he was shocked at their setlists or
> impromtu. Why? because he has long ago accepted
> the fact of a vegas type warhorse show that takes
> minimal effort on their part. Do they deserve that
> right after all the years? Of Course but are the
> ones not questioning, pushing them, encouraging
> them, the idiots after all???????? MEZ

BV is enjoying the show and probably laughing at the whiners and having a great time whether they pull out a dozen songs he has never seen them do before or a rare one or two he has only seen them do ten times.

Date: September 3, 2006 23:52

But Dan is he more excited if they play 5 new ones tonight? Of course but why? Still no reponse to the basic premise of the debate. "well........... of course he is" but why? because of the daring setlist change that took practice etc. Working hard for the millions. Jagger was always current never greatest hits by his own words to the umpteenth degree. He was the anithesis of the oldies hit act. That was always his way until now. If he wants that so be it. Its his right to choose but acknowledge the cutting spark is waned. Its like a ballplayer any sport superstar whose lost that edge half step etc but the loyals encourage him to press on don't live in the past. Why did BV excite so much on Paris Four Flicks because of the setlist! But Why? Response????????? waiting 2 days now. There is no logical response from the inner sanctum. "Well of course I put in setlist histories on website text my close ones on daring new songs etc etc etc just like us but why???????? setlists don't matter hypocritical. Not a single logical retort to my position because I am Correct. I love the Stones by the way just desire varied setlists cement their legacy don't go out as oldies nostalgic act. If you all loved them the same you would speak up to encourage them to do it too. Just admit it thats all. MEZ

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 3, 2006 23:54

Mez sez:

I love the Stones by the way just desire varied setlists cement their legacy don't go out as oldies nostalgic act.

I agree.

Date: September 3, 2006 23:55

The setlist is not the whole concert experience. Its only the whole experience if you are reading the list on the computer. I would rather see the band nail a bunch of songs they have totally down then see Mick pace the stage directing the band for most of the show. And I bet there is no response from BV because the course of this thread is even more predictable than the setlist and he is out living life which some people here might want to try sometime.

Date: September 4, 2006 00:06

Thanks Elmo I can always count on you! MEZ

Its so easy to say "you hate them, don't go to shows, blah blah blah we have heard that for a year now. Untrue but easy position to state because there is nothing else to say. Can 1 single non setlist whiner answer the direct question to the question. Four flicks Paris? Sway? You have no response. Again Whom is /are the idiots sir. Dissent isn't equated with negativity. Flip flop it we aren't to the point of full acceptance that the edge, modernity, spark, hard practice, risk taking is beyond. Perhaps you are the group whom should be chastized. Do you not care? where is your passion? Brown Sugar great I like it 2,000 time but they need not pander too the masses at all costs. Other great great established acts have played "hardcore setlists" & didn't care because they still loved the art, practice, legacy, staying current etc etc etc. Why do you hate them so much as to not encourage them to take a chance rediscover themselves their great catalogue. There you go your specious arguement inversed right back at you . How does it feel? Well what do you mean we love them ............. You Do? MEZ

Date: September 4, 2006 00:13

They have been an oldies nostalgia act since at least 1981.

"Untrue but easy position to state because there is nothing else to say. Can 1 single non setlist whiner answer the direct question to the question. Four flicks Paris? Sway? You have no response."

It's been responded to. And they have been rediscovering their catalog with each and every tour. The rest of your looney rant doesn't merit a response.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home