Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the best ronnie's album and why?
Posted by: Borna ()
Date: August 25, 2006 11:54

tell me...

Re: the best ronnie's album and why?
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 25, 2006 12:44

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 06:59 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Brumstone ()
Date: August 25, 2006 13:33

Borna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tell me...

I rate "I've Got My own Album To Do" very highly. Particularly the tracks Far East Man and Cancel Everyting.

Mick & Keith guest on it, but seperately.

Ronnie's got a compilation out In September, check it out!

His Faces work is good: now that is one band that I wish I'd seen!

With a smile on your face and a tear right in your eye

Posted by: einte ()
Date: August 25, 2006 13:41

I've Got My Own Album To Do (First Solo Album)

The best Wood album to me, great line up with Willie Weeks on bass,Ian McLagan on keyboards,Andy Newmark on drums and Keith Richards on guitar/vocals
With two Jagger/Richards songs that never been released before:Act Together and Sure the one you need.

For more information and a audio preview:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 25, 2006 18:36

NOW LOOK--Ronnie's best album
Posted by: loog droog (IP Logged)
Date: July 29, 2005 01:35

The best Ronnie album by a country mile is "NOW LOOK" While the first album has some incredible tracks (I Can Feel the Fire, Mystifies Me) it kind of falls apart in places (Crotch Music).

NOW LOOK doesn't have those loose ends. In fact, by accident or design, it's practically a concept album! From the first song, I Got Lost When I Found You til I Got a Feeling, the last one, the songs are about a relationship. (OK, maybe not Big Bayou) And it's real intimate guy and girl stuff, not '70's Rock Star sex-cartoon love.

Credit that to Bobby Womack. While some of the tracks were leftover from the 1st album (Carribean Boogie for one) he infuses some real R&B production and perspective into the whole mix.

While this album is not the "Rocker" that some of Wood's other works are, the rewards are much more subtle with this one. Try driving through the desert at night listening to Breathe on Me. (Tracks like this make me lament the Stones under-use of Wood as a writer)

I didn't mention Ian McLagan. He co-produced (with Wood and Womack) and plays all over the album. Keith plays a killer intro on I Can Say She's Alright, and Mac's playing on that track takes it to an even higher level. If you listen on headphones, buried in the mix you can hear Bobby moaning!

In short, this album is the most seamless fusion of English guitar raunch and American R&B ever. I think of it as "EXILE ON SOUL ST.!"

Beelyboy--I would add Faces' Ooh La La and Rod's Never a Dull Moment and Every Picture Tells a Story to your list. But SMILER?? Ron gets a few good licks in, but for the most part that lp is a lot of Overproduced Awful.

(I did enjoy your posts on the Bill Clinton thread)

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 25, 2006 19:00

loog droog - I agree with you completely, I love Now Look start to finish.

Breathe On Me is one of my favorite Ronnie songs and would have made a great Stones tune. Just picture them playing this live during Keith's set with Ronnie and Keith singing the song like a couple of drunks.

Posted by: Stones4Ever ()
Date: August 25, 2006 20:41

I really like Slide On This. "It Must Be Love" would have been a better Stones song with Mick singing "Stopped all of my drinking, even changed my way of thinking-It must be Love."

Posted by: valerie masters ()
Date: August 25, 2006 22:21

I think all of his stuff is great, and I do not say this because he is in the stones and people think he is a keith clone, he was a great musician before he joined and still is, the guy loves to play, he has a deep appreciation of the american blues which is the foundation for any worth while musician. I seen him at the commodore ballroom vancouver 92 I think(the early 90's were a bit of a blur for me) and it was a fu_kin great show, alot of it I can still recall, there was a version of black limousine and it give me the shivers. I respect ronnie wood alot, even the best of us have problems with drink and drugs, ronnie rocks man!

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: August 25, 2006 22:22

Gimme Some Neck - hands down. 'Cause it's got the best songs and he's got some pretty good playmates (it's almost a Stones album....)

Date: August 25, 2006 22:30

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 06:57 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 25, 2006 22:30

Gimme Some Neck lacks a little subtlety and shade when compared to the two previous efforts...but still some good stuff on there.
And yeah, the faces were great live. I can attest to that...though if folks think the Stones are sloppy, they should have seen that band ;^)

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 25, 2006 22:45

A personal favorite of mine is his 1st, I've Got My Own Album To Do.

A special mention for Ron as consistantly having the worst albums titles ever.

Date: August 25, 2006 23:27

lettingitbleed Wrote:
> A special mention for Ron as consistantly having
> the worst albums titles ever.

I thought that honor was held by Chicago.

Actually, I think Woody has had some great titles: Slide on This, Gimme Some Neck, Now Look, etc.

Where is john r?

Date: August 26, 2006 03:54

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 06:55 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 26, 2006 10:21

With Loog Droog on "Now Look". Also "Not For Beginners"

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: August 26, 2006 10:36

I like 1234 a lot. It was the 1st Ronnie album I owned.

They don't make outlaws like they used to anymore

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: August 26, 2006 16:57

"I've got my own album to do" is still so fresh-sounding.

I'm listening to 1234 right now (OUtlaws!)

"Slide on this" doesn't fall that far behind Wandering Spirit as far as a creative solo effort.

Still think his best studio work was with Rod and with Faces-- Sweet lil RocknRoller, That's all you need, Plynth, Lost Paraguayos, Twistin the Night Away, Stay with me.

Best live work-- 78 tour of course.

Date: August 26, 2006 17:35

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 06:54 by Beelyboy.

Date: August 28, 2006 11:33

IGMOATD and Now Look (Solo)
Ooh La La and First Step (with The Faces)

Posted by: RedlandsRodge ()
Date: August 28, 2006 12:50

For me Ronnie's best playing is on "Nods". The sound Glynn Johns captured sums up everything I love about Woody.

I agree a lot with what was said about "Now Look". I think Bobby Womack helped Woody tremendously, stretched him and brought things out of him that maybe nobody else could've.

From a personal point of view, my fave album, however, has to be "Got My Own Album To Do". It may not be a complete success musically i.e. 'Crotch Music' & 'Shirley'. For mine, fave albums are not just about best songs but memories of the times, personnel involved etc. I also love that house, love the cover and love that oval room.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: September 2, 2006 02:45

I agree about the 70's lps, 1234 was pretty good, didn't care for the one he did with Bernard Fowler. NOt for beginners is worth checking out, I think it's great, with a nice relaxed groove and a killer cover so you wanna be a rnr *

Date: September 2, 2006 03:28

I saw the Faces 2 times in 75 (Stones sandwiched in the middle!); on the 2nd & last Faces tour (10/75) they had the late Jesse Ed Davis on 2nd guitar (as he was on Atlantic Crossing - they had a string section for I think 2 songs as well). Just a kid of 13 I, & do wish I could recall specifics re the playing, and how Davis and Wood worked together...Anbody remember, or have any boots? (Would have been nice if Mac included a track or 2 on the box)

Date: September 2, 2006 04:27

I was a little disappointed with Ronnie's Far East Man dvd. He had his unlce or cousin singing on a couple of cuts, I like Ronnie's voice he should have sung more. Not quite sure what Slash was doing there for almost the whole show.

Date: September 2, 2006 04:42

Me too, John. Same deal that year: Faces-Stones-Faces.

Creem named Ronnie "Most Valuable Player" in '75--easy to see why!

Wish I had seen Faces with Lane (and the Stones with Taylor) but that's the way it goes. Missed it by THAT much...Born too late.

My first Faces show (at the Forum) in '75 was too great for words. Like a quote in the box set, "I never got over it."

The other show in the Fall was the infamous Anaheim stadium gig that was written about in Rolling Stone. The Faces truck with their equipment broke down on the way, and it took forever for them to get on. They finally went on using Loggins & Messina's gear...it was a mess. Jesse Ed was there but I couldn't really hear him.

Stadium concerts in the pre-video days were just crap. It was like watching a trained flea act for about 90% of the audience.

Regarding I've Got My Own Album to Do: I was disappointed when the cd finally came out that they didn't reprint the insert that originally came with the import version of that album. It was a track-credit sheet (like the one in Black and Blue) that was covered with Ronnie's art/doodles. Considering that the Now Look cd added at lease one photo that wasn't on the lp, it was a shame it wasn't included.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: September 2, 2006 05:53

john r Wrote:
> I saw the Faces 2 times in 75 (Stones sandwiched
> in the middle!); on the 2nd & last Faces tour
> (10/75) they had the late Jesse Ed Davis on 2nd
> guitar (as he was on Atlantic Crossing - they had
> a string section for I think 2 songs as well).
> Just a kid of 13 I, & do wish I could recall
> specifics re the playing, and how Davis and Wood
> worked together...Anbody remember, or have any
> boots? (Would have been nice if Mac included a
> track or 2 on the box)

I saw their second-to-last show in 1975 the old Omni in Atlanta.
Three bands -- Aerosmith opened up; then Jeff Beck; then Faces.

Most of the crowd on this Sunday night was (then) younger and there to see Aerosmith. Lot of southern comfort and black hash making its way around.

If i remember correctly, Faces was really loud, had a real heavy sound that night (compared with when I saw them in 1972 in Clemson SC), opened with Memphis, did a couple off Atlantic Crossing (Stone Cold Sober and All in the name of RnR, I think).
Orchestra came on for "you send me" and maybe something else. Lot of the crowd made for the doors when the orchestra came on.

Ronnie was on, as I remember. Boss guitar of the stage, I really don't recall anything notable about Jessie Ed's contribution other than some heft to the sound.

The group I was with and I enjoyed the show immensely, but we were all Faces fans to begin with.

Date: September 2, 2006 07:19

The Faces always came on (& played) like they owned the room, just happened to stagger in casually even if in fron of 15,000

Date: September 2, 2006 21:15

Jeff Beck opened for the Faces????

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 3, 2006 01:28

1234 & IGMOATD are good for me

My first ever show was "Rod Stewart & Faces" as it was billed then, opening for Three Dog Night at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium back in '71 or '72. Even though TDN was big around that time, I still have trouble believing that Ronnie, Ian, etc. opened for those guys.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: September 3, 2006 01:30

some girls

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home