Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

thoughts on "RS Monitor Mixes" - steel wheels roughs
Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 18, 2006 05:41

I really wonder at what stage these tapes were made. Do you think any of these vocals are done live with the band as the basic tracks are being laid down? Few of the songs have more than 3 guitars, and I think the middle one is usually mick.

Do you think the huge distorted guitar on "Hearts for Sale" is played by mick? There are 2 other guitars, panned as usual. Someone (keith?) hums the riff merrily right before the band comes in, though conceivably it's an overdub.

The funny thing about the rawer mixes is that they expose the weak keyboard sounds even more. "Rock and a Hard Place (Steel Wheels)" sounds almost like "Back to Zero"! I still mostly prefer the rawer mixes to the bigger productions, but the overkill masked the individual parts sometimes to good effect.

There's something odd about "Mixed Emotions"... there's a drone, maybe even a sampled guitar that comes through more in the beginning. The intro section just seems off. By the end, the guitars are really LOUD in the mix! This song definitely needed the extra production work.

At what point do you think "Almost Hear You Sigh" was turned into a mick song? Not that keith's beautiful vocal seems finished, but he had been carrying the tune around for, what, a year? A lot of the other songs have what sound to me like the same basic vocal performance as the finished track, so these aren't just demos. I wonder what went into the decision to make the switch...

Re: thoughts on "RS Monitor Mixes" - steel wheels roughs
Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 18, 2006 08:53

Almost hear sigh was a leftover from Keiths Talk Is Cheap sessions, so it may have been around for more than one year...

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 18, 2006 10:40

I think these mixes are faxinating. That a few sound better than the officially released versions are an added bonus. And For Your Precious Love is a masterpiece.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 18, 2006 11:05

can anyone post "precious love"? they needed a great cover tune on the album...

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: August 18, 2006 11:55

X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 14:27 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 18, 2006 19:11

roundnround Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can anyone post "precious love"? they needed a
> great cover tune on the album...

I re-posted it on Hot Stuff - should still work, I believe.
Here you go [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-18 21:21 by open-g.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 18, 2006 19:15

But most of the vocals ended up being on the album, though, right?!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 18, 2006 20:14

No. Several are different.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: August 18, 2006 21:23

Funny... Terrifying on Steel Wheels is a little bit slower. I always had to tune my guitar a bit to this song. With the version on Monitor Mixes I don't have to tune my guitar anymore!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 18, 2006 21:47

I still wonder how many if any of these vocals are the original, "scratch" vocal done during tracking, or if they're mostly overdubs, some of which later replaced by newer overdubs. "Mixed Emotions" for one is the same main vocal, I believe, though it's lacking effects.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 24, 2012 17:44

can someone remind me of the difference between Training Wheels and Monitor Mixes? - the sound quality, difference from official album etc. I know i read about them on here before, but could use a refresher.

(i'm not a great Steel Wheels fan, but thought i'd investigate these in the absence of anything else at the moment...)

thanks

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 24, 2012 20:43

ok, thanks to some thorough searching, i found Gazza's super informative post, and realize that it's 'Monitor Mixes' i want to get hold of. MP3 is fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thank you as always

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home