Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hopkins, Preston, McLagan, or Leavell
Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:04

I am curious to know who you all think is/was the best stones keyboard/piano player and why. I'm not counting Stu as he was just mostly there for the boogie-woogie stuff. But he's great too.

These guys are/were all great players but for me personaly if I had to pick one I would go with Nicky Hopkins. His playing is amazing and think of all the great piano tunes with him...like "Shine A Light" "Coming Down Again" "Through The Lonley Nights" and so many others. Even his solo album I have is great. Tin man dreamer something....

I loved Billy's stage presence with the dancing and the big fro..but for pure soulfull playing, I gotta go with Nicky. Wadda you think?

Re: Hopkins, Preston, McLagan, or Leavell
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:05

I have to agree - Nicky's contribution's were AMAZING during the golden years.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:08

Yes, it's Nicky. Ian McLagan and Ian Stewart are on 2nd place.
I've thought about....would you imagine the crap we would be giving Chuck Leavell if he did some solo songs (like Billy Preston), and did a dance where he seduced Jagger, on this tour. It would be a riot at the stadium!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-16 21:27 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:09

For the boogie woogie blues -- Stu would be first, Mac would be a very close second. For everything else, Nicky.

Chuck gets a special merit badge for holding the current Stones orchestra together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-16 21:10 by drbryant.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:24

I liked Stu and Mac. There is a piano player by the name of Gene Taylor whom the Stones never used, but I always thought would have been a good one. They got to utilize Johnnie Johnson a bit, but it was late in his life; for most of those years they had Stu anyway, so, Johnnie wasn't so required. I have often thought perhaps they should have featured Stu a bit more, or, turn him up in the mix just a tad more. Old saying, "The more you listen to Chuck Berry, the more it becomes piano music."

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:29

Mac is a keabord player, Nicky was piano player (really knew how to play boogie, listen to jamming with edward or his LPs).

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:31

Nicky H. by a long shot...........added so much to the music

Date: August 16, 2006 21:32

Stu and Mac together were great on the Tattoo Tour. And I would also agree that Stu should have been up in the mix more. Alot of times you could hardly hear him.

And Erik, Chuck dancing with Mick would be funny as hell. I can just see him in his sequin shirt grabbing Mick's ass....that would certainly be a riot.

Great comments guys!

Posted by: RobbyTuesday ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:38

Without a doubt Nicky Hopkins is a major ingredient to the Stones sound. Sympathy for the Devil would sound completely different without his keyboard work, Angie wouldn't be quite so beautiful and She's A Rainbow shines on an otherwise second rate psycadelic album. I think Nicky was asked to join the Stones round about '69. I wonder how things would have turned out if he had.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 16, 2006 23:19

No contest, Nicky Hopkins, just listen to the intro to Symphaty when he comes in after Rocky"s congas, its magic.

Date: August 16, 2006 23:21

ROPENI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No contest, Nicky Hopkins, just listen to the
> intro to Symphaty when he comes in after Rocky"s
> congas, its magic.

I love his playing on Monkey Man!

Date: August 16, 2006 23:32

Cindy, thats another great one, l had forgotten about it, the man played in so many of the stones classics, that after Stu he could be considered the six Stone.

Date: August 16, 2006 23:42

ROPENI Wrote:
> Cindy, thats another great one, l had forgotten
> about it, the man played in so many of the stones
> classics, that after Stu he could be considered
> the six Stone.

I was always happy about the way they gave him such a prominent thank you on the Beggars Banquet album cover. I hope they also thanked him nicely with some $$$$.

Date: August 16, 2006 23:47

Cindy, from l have read when he died he left his wife huge hospital bills that she couln't pay, when Charlie found out he wrote a check and took care of it.
This may be an urban legend but sounds like something that Charlie would do.
Maybe someone else knows it this is true.

Date: August 16, 2006 23:47

I have heard something about Nicky getting screwed on $$ from the Stones. Something about him dying broke with lots of debt and Charlie having to help his widow out financialy....anyone know anything about this? It could be BS but thats what I heard somewhere....could have been here...

Date: August 16, 2006 23:50

oopps. looks like ropeni beat me to the post

Date: August 16, 2006 23:51

I think I read that story about Charlie on the board a few months back. What a sweetheart.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 16, 2006 23:55

Great story about the band singing at Chuch's funeral too. Showed some real taste and heart.

Date: August 16, 2006 23:58

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Great story about the band singing at Chuch's
> funeral too. Showed some real taste and heart.

Elmo who was Chuch?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 16, 2006 23:59

Chuch was Ronnie's guitar roadie from the old Faces days. He had a heart attack and died as the band was rehearsing for the Live Licks tour. The band attended his funeral and reportedly sang "Amazing Grace".

Date: August 17, 2006 00:01

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Chuch was Ronnie's guitar roadie from the old
> Faces days. He had a heart attack and died as the
> band was rehearsing for the Live Licks tour. The
> band attended his funeral and reportedly sang
> "Amazing Grace".
Thank you for the imformation.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 17, 2006 00:02

Nicky and Stu RULED! Stu for great blues, boogie, and being there from the beginning, but Nicky was one of the GREATEST and most prolific piano masters ever. Probably no one played on as many hit records as he did. God rest him...

JR

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 17, 2006 00:23

As far as just the musical element of things - Nicky Hopkins was the best for the Stones.

That said you really can't underestimate Chuck's current contributions. While maybe not the best fit musically, Chuck may be providing more Overall services to the Stones than any of their previous keyboard players.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 17, 2006 00:45

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 07:29 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: August 17, 2006 00:56

I vote for Chuck because he is more versatile than the others. I loved Ian Stewart but he always sounded boogie woogie-ish, or at least alot of the time. Ian MacLagin was great but again, not as strong as Chuck in terms of being a leader and director in the band. Chuck is brilliant and very under-rated, IMO. I liked Billy Preston's style, he really seemed to fit in at that time and had a great personality; he came to a very sad end, really too bad.I think compared to Chuck, it would be close if you're looking at amount of talent. He could play anything, like Chuck!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 17, 2006 01:08

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 07:28 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 17, 2006 01:10

LEAVELL!!

He's so cool!!

Just kidding. No offence to Chuck, though.
I'd say McLagan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home