Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: The find of the decade - Steel Wheels outtakes
Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: August 17, 2006 00:37

OK - so maybe I put some info on other unreleased songs from SW session according to Karnbach & Bernson book "the complete recording guide to The Rolling Stones" with some of my thoughts & comments - the other never released songs titles are:

Hell Hound on My Trail (R.Johnson's cover) ;
Three Ocenas;
Ready Yourself (this one we already got);
Giving it up ;
Precious Love (this one we got as well, oh oh!) ;
Hang On Tonight (which might be early version of what later became Hang On To Me Tonight on Mick's solo - WS, just a theory)
Hold On to Yourself (might be just an early version of Hold On To Your Hat IMHO);
You've Got Some nerve ;
sweet thing (this is interesting, it made Mick's solo later on WS) ;
When I get to thinking ;
Call Girl Blues (we got it as well, it's Break The Spell under different title, there is a mistake in the book which reffers that Call Girls Blues is Cook Cook Blues working title) ;
Hot Line ;
Gangster Maul (a new version) ;
Steel Wheels (which is early version of Rock & The hard Place)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-17 00:40 by PiotrRSpl.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 17, 2006 00:45

Encredible…that’s how I can only describe it. Part of the excitement is that we all knew about these tapes 17 years ago –and here they are. Also, part of it is that we get to hear the raw versions of an album that was already labeled “dated” the moment it was released. Some tracks – Sad Sad Sad, Rock and a Hard Place, Blinded by Love, maybe even Mixed Emotions, are just week tracks, and whatever mix you throw over it, they remain week tracks. But, some tracks, when depleted of all the reverbs, synths and whatever, brought back to their raw essentials, turn out to be terrific tracks –Terrifying (lsten to all the great extra riffs by Wood), Hold on to Your Hat (Rip this Joint part II), and especially Hearts for Sale (this dreadful song suddenly transforms in to dangerous, grooving track when all the effects are gone. Listen to the riff!), Break the Spell (now in a non-commercial version) and the raw Can’t Be Seen: great stuff. I listen with amazement to Almost Hear You Sigh: Keith’s vocals have absolutely nothing to do with the music. How on earth did they come up with the melody? How did they invent the bridge if you don’t even have a proper melody? Amazing!

The outtakes are nice, nothing more –except for “Your Precious Love”. Is this the best ever outtake ever? Don’t know yet, we’ll decide in a year from now…

One thing struck me though. My ever favorite producer is Chris Kimsey. His drum and guitar sound on the ’77 sessions is just amazing. But, he also produced the, well, not too good sounding Steel Wheels albums. I have always wondered how that can happen. Well, here we have the answer: these recordings sound like they were recorded in Pathe Marconi in 1977! Listen to “Ready Yourself”. With your eyes closed, would you be able to tell whether this was 1977, 1980 or 1989?

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 17, 2006 00:51

And why the @#$%& did the never ever release "Your Precious Love" ? They release all these horrible dance remixes, and not this?

Bunch of bastards they are, I tell ya!

Mathijs

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 17, 2006 00:56

Precious Love is fantastic, yes, but if it were released, it would have gotten the Steets Of Love treatment.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 17, 2006 00:58

Mathijs isn't it great?
Sounds better than Steel Wheels! The drums! The Bass! The Guitars! Jagger! well..

Lizard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Precious Love is fantastic, yes, but if it were
> released, it would have gotten the Steets Of Love
> treatment.

you mean studio version treatment smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()

PiotrRSpl Wrote:
> OK - so maybe I put some info on other unreleased
> songs from SW session according to Karnbach &
> Bernson book "the complete recording guide to The
> Rolling Stones" with some of my thoughts &
> comments - the other never released songs titles
> are:
>
>
> Hell Hound on My Trail (R.Johnson's cover) ;
> Three Ocenas;
> Ready Yourself (this one we already got);
> Giving it up ;
> Precious Love (this one we got as well, oh oh!) ;
>
> Hang On Tonight (which might be early version of
> what later became Hang On To Me Tonight on Mick's
> solo - WS, just a theory)
> Hold On to Yourself (might be just an early
> version of Hold On To Your Hat IMHO);
> You've Got Some nerve ;
> sweet thing (this is interesting, it made Mick's
> solo later on WS) ;
> When I get to thinking ;
> Call Girl Blues (we got it as well, it's Break The
> Spell under different title, there is a mistake in
> the book which reffers that Call Girls Blues is
> Cook Cook Blues working title) ;
> Hot Line ;
> Gangster Maul (a new version) ;
> Steel Wheels (which is early version of Rock & The
> hard Place)

I'm not so sure that they actually did a studio cut of 'hellhound on my trail' -however the reason why its generally listed in sessionographies from the Steel Wheels sessions is because in the bootleg of the demo version of "25 x 5" there is additional footage to whats on the released version - and this includes a few seconds of an informal jam/singalong in Montserrat of 'hellhound on my trail'. Just strikes me as them fooling around, and maybe not a formal recording session

Date: August 17, 2006 01:02

oh, thanx Gazza, I've never seen this bonus footage - you might be right but also the reason of them actually doing this informal singalong could be because of recording of this song. Well, we don't know smiling smiley But maybe someday we find it out (!) I wonder what's other stuff Bob has on his tapes...

and the other question: is it true Sister Morphine label had some of B2B sessions/outtakes in their hands, but never released it (don't know the reason). I've heard this story well quite long time ago...

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 17, 2006 01:46

I'm really interested in the one called 'Hot Line'. It never ever appeared.

The rest of 'Steel Wheels': everyone hears how great the sessions were... But what ever happened to 'Undercover', here we got the same, a poppy, sticky production. And the best song of all, the stones' 'stand by me aka for your precious love' never saw the light.

I'm really thrilled about that one, and I'm playing it on heavy rotation all the time - what a great song and recording - pure stones. I could cry all night...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 17, 2006 02:07

Not to veer off-topic, but I wouldn't call Undercover's production "poppy" in the way that Steel Wheels's is. Undercover is overproduced, but dense, whereas Steel Wheels even with all the overproduction sounds thin.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 17, 2006 02:30

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> You can't accuse this production of being
> slick....

Not slick, but clean, two different things, IMO. Anyway, I had a second listen in my car (with crappy speakers) and I am starting to like it.

And for the Dutch readers: Precious Love reminds me a bit of the chorus of "Zeg maar niets meer" by André Hazes ;-)

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 17, 2006 03:30

Yeah, following on Koen, I could call Undercover slick, but not clean. The finished SW is slick in a way but so anemic as to fall flat.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 17, 2006 03:33

Steel Wheels is more like clinical.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: August 17, 2006 10:26

OT- Koen, daar moet ik nog eens even naar luisteren, zou goed kunnen. Maar voordat we daarover verder gaan: ik doe niet eens een forum-search voor André Hazes, want ik weet nu al zeker dat ik je kan feliciteren met zijn IORR-debut. En dan ook nog es met een van zijn beste nummers; mijn favoriet samen met Geef Mij Je Angst en Het Rode Licht.

Hoe dan ook, het is nu al een mooie dag vandaag.

Sorry for the Dutch language, but believe me, as long as you don't know André Hazes, nothing interesting has been said. AH was a Dutch artist who 'wrote' folk-balads. He was THE trademark of Heineken, and a national hero. Although 'hated' by half the Dutch population, everybody knows at least three of his songs by heart. There was a documentary, in 1999, on his life as an artist, showing him busy writing songs, with an ever-prestent can of Heineken, and a rhyme-dictionary on the table. He died two years ago and got a fare-well tribute in the Arena, 48.000 attenders, his coffin (including body) in the centre of the field. One of the Netherlands true heroes...

Jelle

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 17, 2006 10:41

Mathijs Wrote:
I listen with amazement to
> Almost Hear You Sigh: Keith’s vocals have
> absolutely nothing to do with the music. How on
> earth did they come up with the melody? How did
> they invent the bridge if you don’t even have a
> proper melody? Amazing!

Must be Micks work, no? I always thought this was for 90% a Richards/Jordan track. Now I would give Mick much more credit.
I don't really like Keiths vocals on this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-17 10:41 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: August 17, 2006 11:08

Listening to these great outtakes and realising that this is again a missed oportunity by Mick and Co. I know they don't give a shit. But would have been nice to release a deluxe edition of Steel Wheels (or any other album) with unreleased tracks. Is that so hard to think about?

Any way love the outtakes and thanks to the ones that made it possible for us to listen to.

Here's some artwork for those who like it.

Posted by: ccyglimmer ()
Date: August 17, 2006 11:19

Thank you Gazza!

Posted by: ccyglimmer ()
Date: August 17, 2006 11:21

The vocal track on Mixed Emotions seems to be the one that made it to the final cut, though on the backing tracks, the guitars are edgier.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:05

Mack Jigger Wrote:
> Listening to these great outtakes and realising
> that this is again a missed oportunity by Mick and
> Co. I know they don't give a shit. But would have
> been nice to release a deluxe edition of Steel
> Wheels (or any other album) with unreleased
> tracks. Is that so hard to think about?
>

There werent THAT many completed songs left over to justify it, in all honesty. I think I read at the time that they finished about 16 songs - of which we have 14 that were released (the 12 on the album, fancy man blues and Wish Id never met you). the fact that they released Cook Cook Blues, which was a leftover from a previous session, as a b-side doesnt suggest that there was much else that was finished.

However, an alternate (and more financially lucrative) way of putting out stuff from the archives may well be to re-release old albums with additional leftover material.

PS - many thanks for the nice artwork

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:13

HELP!!! When I go to my Bit Torrent an error comes up '....not enough guests'? What does that mean????

And they could always release a special edition..... one cd being the original album/mix, second cd being the version here with b-sides, left overs (precious love...... a missed classic, would have ben great on the original album) and a few live examples aka bob marleys first album.

And finally, who killed hold onto your hat. Its fantastic here with piano et all!!!!

Date: August 17, 2006 12:16

Not sure what that means. However, are you able to play the tracks OK?

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:17

Great GREAT G-R-E-A-T to get this set. I'd willingly PAY for a Deluxe version of the Album IF it contained For Your Precious Love, surely the best ever non-released song they've done that I've heard. It's bloody special, so soulful. Awesome cover song.

The rest of the outtakes are, to my ears, better than the released thing. Bit more grit, less polish.

Listening to it, and Steel Wheels afterwards, I do realise WHY I don't find the record so, ahmm... good. It's the monobeat that Charlie keeps. There are no variations, song by song, he gets in a groove and goes. No real fills, no POUNDING...he taps, in perfect mono beats.......irritating.

But For Your Precious Love....my goodness, bloody bloody hell, it's so good, even the swriling organ (Chuck) towards the end....devine.

From someone downunder and not in any 'loop', THANKS for posting the set and of course, thanks to whoever it was that initially FREED it !!

Rod
Perth

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:18

Great GREAT G-R-E-A-T to get this set. I'd willingly PAY for a Deluxe version of the Album IF it contained For Your Precious Love, surely the best ever non-released song they've done that I've heard. It's bloody special, so soulful. Awesome cover song.

The rest of the outtakes are, to my ears, better than the released thing. Bit more grit, bit less polish.

Listening to it, and Steel Wheels afterwards, I do realise WHY I don't find the released record so, ahmm... good. It's the monobeat that Charlie keeps. There are no variations, song by song, he gets in a groove and goes. No real fills, no POUNDING...he taps, in perfect mono beats.......irritating.

But For Your Precious Love....my goodness, bloody bloody hell, it's so good, even the swriling organ (Chuck) towards the end....devine.

From someone downunder and not in any 'loop', THANKS for posting the set and of course, thanks to whoever it was that initially FREED it !!

Rod
Perth

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:27

The piano still sounds bad.. Chuck ain't a boogie woogie piano.. it's even annoying when he tries to play the blues piano (pling pling). He can play the chords, great pianoplayer, but Chuck ain't a blues/boogie woogie pianoplayer.

That said, I think the Stones should use real pianos instead of electric or keyboards whenever they want to use a pianosound. I think of This Place Is Empty as an excellent song but I cannot stand the sound of the piano (especially the intro), it should have been played on a real piano instead of a keyboard... it's embarrassing for musiclovers. A keyboard should only be used whenever a song need some electric effect sound, never for a piano sound!!

Great outtakes though. Will burn it on CD as the alternative Steel Wheels, all though I really love the original. But it's interesting to hear some other great licks from Ronnie and Keith!

Date: August 17, 2006 12:30

Cheers Gazza. I can only listen to the MP3 which have alot of hiss. Would love to get the bit torrent to work. Any suggestions???

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:34

also having problems with the bit torrent... my home pc is shite and keeps crashing... if i dont have any success over the next few days with the torrent, could you pretty-please add me to your RO tree, for this cd, Gazza?

Date: August 17, 2006 12:36

Excuse my ignorance but what is a RO tree?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:37

I'm having problems with another torrent...Some GIrls interview. I've uploaded twice as much as I've downloaded...and it seems to stop at 89%.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:57

i am afraid i am not sharing the same enthusiasm here for this stuff. Though i can hear the difference on tracks like hearts for sale, hold on and almost hear you sigh, and of course i appreciate this less "slick" and less "anemic" (appropriate adjctvs for SW!) versions, i must say i don't think they can redeem the weakness of the whole material. It was 1989 and I think Mick was heading full steam toward his vain dreams of pop glory, already obsessed and devoted to plain pop song form, while Keith has emptied his ammunition the year before for his masterpiece, TIC.

The ballad Gazza pointed at is really good but also really a rewriting of standard soul melodies. Though simpler and almost unfinished (as almost anything on ABcool smiley I think LIND, quoted in this context, is stronger.

The only problem with rereleased albums with extras is that I would have to buy those records once more. That's why I would prefer a box set of unreleased material of course winking smiley

anyway thanks gazza for the opportunity to listen to that stuff

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 17, 2006 13:10

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> I'm having problems with another torrent...Some
> GIrls interview. I've uploaded twice as much as
> I've downloaded...and it seems to stop at 89%.

That's the problem with Torrents Erik, you try to share more as you download and on the other hands peolpe stop there sharing if there download is complete.

The only thing you can do is wait till they share again or they turn on the computer again,

is the list of peers empty ?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home