Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ealing comman
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 15, 2006 14:13

Still havent booked hotel for twickenham and looking at hotels espically the ramada hotel opposite ealing comman, anybody know if its far from twickers any info will be gladly appreciated.

Re: Ealing comman
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 15, 2006 14:17

Ealing 20-30 mins approx by car from Twickenham

no direct public transport link- thats your potential problem.

other nearby locations would be wiser...Kingston, Hammersmith, Richmond, Hampton Court.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 15, 2006 14:44

The nearest stations to the Rugby Ground are (British Rail) Twickenham or Whitton (both about 20 mins walk). Twickenham isn't on the Underground - you'd have to get from Ealing Common to Richmond and then change.

If you plan to come by public transport you might do better to try areas that are on the same British Rail lines as Twickenham/Whitton - line runs out of Waterloo through Putney, Barnes, Mortlake, Sheen, Richmond to Twickenham. Trains from Twickenham run on out on various lines (1) through Feltham, Ashford, Staines to Windsor or Weybridge (2) Through Teddington down to Kingston-upon-Thames (3) Through Hampton to Shepperton. Any British Rail station along those lines should have trains direct to Twickenham about every half hour. However, check train times at the local station - BR have a nasty habit of scheduling major engineering works on a Sunday (if that's when you're coming).

Date: August 15, 2006 14:51

no engineering works scheduled for this sunday

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: August 15, 2006 14:54

There is a lot of fans that are gonna stay at St. Giles. I don`t know how far that is from Twickenham or if it`s close to pubic transport. May some could answar that.

Date: August 15, 2006 14:57

tottenham court road tube (northern line) to Waterloo....5 mins

British Rail from Waterloo- Twickenham (platforms 15-19)....15-30 mins
depending which service you get.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: August 15, 2006 15:17

The st giles hotel is in feltham, which is an absolute SHIT-hole, sorry, but you can get trains easily to twickenham from there, as its very close to feltham station. So its also great for getting to heathrow. However, if its your first time in london then stay somewhere a bit nicer, feltham is a rough area, i mean, not TOO bad, but not nice, nothing to do etc...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: August 15, 2006 15:18

Adrian-L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ealing 20-30 mins approx by car from Twickenham
>
> no direct public transport link- thats your
> potential problem.
>
> other nearby locations would be wiser...Kingston,
> Hammersmith, Richmond, Hampton Court.

Thanks for that i waiting to get a decent deal through a friend for ramada hotel but if there is going to be transport difficulties perhaps i should look at other areas mentioned and i am there for the 22/8 concert.

Perhaps hampton court or richmond? fancy hampton as i could have a look at hampton court the next day but richmond for bars & restaurants thou.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 16, 2006 13:36

Mr Jimmy Wrote:
> The st giles hotel is in feltham, which is an absolute SHIT-hole, sorry, but you can get trains easily to twickenham from there, as its very close to feltham station. So its also great for getting to heathrow. However, if its your first time in london then stay somewhere a bit nicer, feltham is a rough area, i mean, not TOO bad, but not nice, nothing to do etc...

I don't think this is the St Giles Hotel that is being mentioned above. The one where all the Shidoobee people will stay (and stayed at for the 2003 shows) is just off Tottenham Court Road in the city.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-16 13:42 by erikjjf.

Posted by: Joss ()
Date: August 16, 2006 13:41

You may want to try the Premier Travel In in Hammersmith (0870 8506310), this is two minutes walk from Ravenscourt Park tube station, which is a 15-minute ride to Richmond, where there should be buses going to the show in Twickenham (as per 2003). My dad stayed there recently & it's very clean, about £75 per night.

Date: August 16, 2006 18:53

Odeon73, with that £20 i lent you at Knebworth in 76 you should have earned enough interest to stay in Richmond. Stay here, round the corner from where i met my first mate!

[www.infotel.co.uk]

Alternatively, splash out at the Richmond Hill Hotel, next door to Jerry and the kids or just down the hill at The Petersham.

Date: August 17, 2006 10:10

Will be booking something today, but i believe the petersham and probably others are fully booked and looking at richmond or hampton as i dont want to be in the positiopn of catching two sorts of transport either bus or train.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 17, 2006 11:21

odean73 Wrote:
> Still havent booked hotel for twickenham and
> looking at hotels espically the ramada hotel
> opposite ealing comman, anybody know if its far
> from twickers any info will be gladly appreciated.

You do NOT (repeat NOT) want to stay at Ealing common if you're attending an event at Twickenham. It's too far away. I'm very familiar with this area, I was brought up in Ealing Common, so what I would say is that unless you had a REALLY good reason for staying in Ealing, you really ought to look at hotels/b & b's in the Richmond area, from where you can easily walk to the stadium in Twickenham. If you positively insist (for whatever reason) to stay in Ealing, then to get to Twickers from there, do as follows:

Walk west along the Uxbridge Road to Ealing Broadway. At the traffic lights turn right up towards Ealing Broadway station. Walk about 75 yards PAST the station entrance and on the opposite side of the road opposite LEWIS chemist/pharmacy is the starting point/first bus stop for the No 65 bus. Take the 65 bus to RICHMOND. Get off there, and then walk over Richmond Bridge, down St Margarets Road, when you reach the Chertsey Road (A316) turn left and at the third roundabout down there where there's a TOYOTA dealership - turn right and Twickers is a 100 yards down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-17 12:10 by paulywaul.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:02

Thanks paulywaul for the advice it looks like i will be booking in richmond, do you reckon i could walk to the stadium from richmond in which i prefer to do and having a few drinks on the way to the gabbage patch.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:05

yes- very easy...walk from Richmond along the A316 right to the stadium- 30 mins approx.

Alternatively, and a much more picturesque way, walk along the Thames Towpath from Richmond to Twickenham town centre,
taking in the White Swan pub and The Barmy Arms pub, along the way.

The White Swan is one of the best pubs in Twickers, btw :-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-17 12:08 by Adrian-L.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:12

Thanks for that espiecally the pubs.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:14

odean73 Wrote:
> Thanks paulywaul for the advice it looks like i
> will be booking in richmond, do you reckon i could
> walk to the stadium from richmond in which i
> prefer to do and having a few drinks on the way to
> the gabbage patch.

If you intend to hit the Cabbage Patch pub enroute to the stadium, then DO NOT WALK from Richmond to Twickers as I've suggested in my earlier post, because you would literally have to walk PAST the stadium to get to it. Take the train from Richmond to Twickenham, do the Cabbage Patch, and THEN walk up to the stadium - which is no more than 10-12 minutes on foot from the pub.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:17

if you do decidse to take the Thames Towpath walk
( a gorgeous walk if the weather is ok), please do stop off for a cheeky pint at The White Swan and The Barmy Arms.

After The Barmy Arms (opposite the footbridge to Eel Pie Island),
walk up into Twickenham town centre....take the first right, into a small cobbled street (the oldest street in Twickenham, and the original main route into Richmond) called Church Street.

A charming little street, with some excellent Indian and French restaurants. On the right hand side of the street is The Fox pub.
Probably the best pub in Twickenham.
Further along, on the left, is The Eel Pie pub. Another good one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-17 12:20 by Adrian-L.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:19

paulywaul Wrote:

>
> If you intend to hit the Cabbage Patch pub enroute
> to the stadium, then DO NOT WALK from Richmond to
> Twickers as I've suggested in my earlier post,
> because you would literally have to walk PAST the
> stadium to get to it.

true enough- if you walk down the A316...but if you take the scenic walk along the towpath, you hit Twickenham town centre
and The Cabbage patch is right there.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:22

I remember passing the gabbage patch at the last stones concert as i brought a ticket from e-bay and the person who was selling agreed to meet me at a train station <cant recall which one but we were staying at heathrow> and he kindly gave us a lift just before the stadium, so i realise it would probably add another 20 mins onto adrians estimation and where as i wouldent mind the walk i cant see my brother in law doing it, but there again it depends on what time we arrive at the hotel, will have to see the boss and see if i can sneak off early on tuesday to get away.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:24

if you're going to The Cabbage Patch, but find it too busy/oppresive an atmosphere.. walk down into the town centre (2 mins) and check out Church St. for the Indian restaurants and the 2 pubs i mentioned.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:26

Hey Odeon take Adrian, s advice but forget the cabbage patch. All the other pubs he mentions are far better.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:33

i really cannot stress enough - how busy The Cabbage Patch is going to be
(more so on the sunday, than the tuesday)

it will be ram-packed and they never have enough bar staff on.

The food menu is also alot to be desired.
I popped in the other day (its my local) to warn them of the IORR posse decending upon them, and told them to get extra staff on..
but i bet they don't bother.

Put it this way... as someone who's lived in the town for 35 years, if i can't get to the bar in The Cabbage Patch, i'd go and drink in The Fox.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:41

The Fox was always my favourite too when i lived opp Marble Hill. There used to be a great blues and rock club on the left towards Richmond. I once saw Ronnie in the other White Swan under the rail bridge on the other side of the river.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-17 12:42 by Captain Jack Sparrow.

Date: August 17, 2006 12:46

the live music scene in Twickenham and Richmond (particualrily Twickenham)
is blossoming at the moment.

The Eel Pie Club (upstairs at The Cabbage Patch) is a hotbed for R&B on alternate Wednesday nights. There's live music at The Fox on saturays and at Filthy Mc Nasty's...all good old-school rock and r&b...

not forgetting of course, the re-emergence of The Eel Pie Island scene, and the Indie success of The Mystery Jets, who reside, perform and record on the island.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-17 12:47 by Adrian-L.

Date: August 17, 2006 13:04

I only mentioned the gabbage patch as it would be nice to meet up with some iorr members and depending on the weather if its nice sunny wise i could buy a couple bottles of wine and sit outside as if its too busy the staff wont be bothered i thinks!

Thanks for the recommendations and could be trying one of those indian or french restaurants after the concert if still open.

Date: August 17, 2006 13:10

the Indians in Church St. will definetely be open post-concert
and are to be recommended!

Date: August 17, 2006 13:27

Once again a big thanks for all the info, cant wait for tuesday and starting to feel like a 6 year old kid with nerves!!

Date: August 17, 2006 13:28

you not there on sunday, too, Odeon?

Date: August 17, 2006 13:38

No unfortunately, i wont bore you with the details but booked for paris and we all know what happaned there even thou i had a great four days there it felt empty without the concert.

Got good tickets for twickenham and cheap tickets for cardiff and hoping to god they tour europe next year where it would be finaincily better for me, its been a expensive year for me with silver anniversary, paris,& stones concerts and its the big 50 in november for me, plus purchasing a second property has not helped.

See i told you i wouldent bore you with details, if you are not going to the gabbage patch where will you go before the concert drian?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home