Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-Athens
Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: August 14, 2006 03:40

I'm traveling to Athens in a few weeks and would appreciate any suggestions for good place to eat. I really dislike going to the tourist places, I'd rather experience real places that cater to local people. I'll also be visiting Santorini and Crete.

Thanks Chris

You know, speaking as an American, if I could manage it somehow I'd leave America and live in Europe. I think you folks have your shit together much more than we do on this side of the Atlantic. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated and if you decide to come to DC, write me I know a lot of good places in town and over the river in Virginia.
see ya

Re: OT-Athens
Posted by: JHARPER1 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 08:55

hELLO,
I am recently returning from greece. I had bought a ticket to see the Stones in Athens but was inevitably cancelled. Had a great time in Greece though. Santorini was beautiful and Athens was very cool. A cool place to have dinner in Santorini is in the cliffside village of Imerovigli. It is in between the capital Fira and Oia (which are also not to be missed) and is not as crowded. Another cool thing to check out is the ancient city of Thira. It is way up on the top of a mountain (possibly the windiest place on the planet) which can be reach by a road in Kamari beach. The coolest way up is to take the ancient trail up. I played the "Stones" all the way up with my porto speakers in my backpack. Be prepared to hold on at some points as the wind is very strong. It always seems to blow you into the direction of the mountain though. There is a cool blue dome chapel in the side of the mountain about half way up. A cave goes inside there and about 50 feet back there is a small waterfall with what looks like a milky water running over rocks. Some very cool ruins once you reach the top. Bring something to celebrate once you reach the top. Perissa and Kamari are cool beach towns to hang out during the day and early evening but everyone goes to Oia for the sunsets and Fira for the nite-life. Athens was very cool too. I only hung out in Plaka which is the village that surrounds the Parthanon. Athens is very, very cool at night. Check out "the rock" just below the Parthanon for a great place to chill and view the city with all the light up monuments. I am jealous. I am making up for the cancelled Athens show by checking out the Stones in Boston, Oakland, and Las Vegas. Happy times, Jill Napa, California

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: August 16, 2006 05:01

Thanks for the tips...Saw the Stones in DC at the beginning of the tour, wish they were coming back for one more time, but at least I got to see them again. Going to see Dylan on Saturday and Dr. John in November, that will finally blow all my concert money for the year. Also if you like the blues check out Terry Garland, I saw him in Maryland one nite for $12, great blues guy.

Thanks again Chris

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: August 16, 2006 05:04

get a life and find some good food on your own. what do you want a zegat rating

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home