Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Lou Reed's Legendary Academy of Music Gig 1973
Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 3, 2020 19:33

"There were actually two shows that day."

I'm not convinced of this. I've never heard of Lou ever doing 2 shows in one day. It is my contention that there was only 1 show that day and the two resulting records (RnR Animal and Live) is everything from that show. I can't explain the advert. Maybe management or the record company wanted 2 shows but Lou nixed that idea when he heard about it. Who knows.

"The 1973-01-27 gig went like this :

TRACK LISTING:
01. White Light/White Heat
02. Wagon Wheel
03. I'm Waiting for the Man
04. Walk and Talk It
05. Sweet Jane
06. New Age
07. Vicious
08. I Can't Stand It
09. Satellite of Love
10. Heroin
11. I'm So Free
12. Walk on the Walk Side
13. Rock & Roll
14. Sister Ray"

This looks like more dis-information. This set-list looks a lot like a set-list from his 1972 tour which had a completely different band. Note that there are no songs from Berlin in this set-list.

I have collected (and burned) several shows from Europe on this 1973 tour. What jumps out is how the band's arrangements (especially the guitar parts) evolve and get better and better with each show and finally culminate in their best and final versions at the NY Academy of Music show. Amazing.

- Bungo ( the poster formally known as Duane From Houston )

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 3, 2020 20:08

Yeah, that can't be on the Rock N Roll Animal tour. That definitely looks like a Tots setlist. He wasn't playing Wagon Wheel, Walk It Talk It, New Age and some of that other stuff later on. And also well noted, no Berlin songs.

I too can't imagine Lou doing two shows in one day. After he was in the Velvets of course.

Date: April 3, 2020 21:06

Bungo

I'm not convinced of this. I've never heard of Lou ever doing 2 shows in one day. It is my contention that there was only 1 show that day and the two resulting records (RnR Animal and Live) is everything from that show. I can't explain the advert. Maybe management or the record company wanted 2 shows but Lou nixed that idea when he heard about it. Who knows.

TRACK LISTING:
02. Wagon Wheel
04. Walk and Talk It
05. Sweet Jane
06. New Age
07. Vicious
08. I Can't Stand It
09. Satellite of Love
10. Heroin
11. I'm So Free
13. Rock & Roll
14. Sister Ray"

This looks like more dis-information. This set-list looks a lot like a set-list from his 1972 tour which had a completely different band. Note that there are no songs from Berlin in this set-list.

I have collected (and burned) several shows from Europe on this 1973 tour. What jumps out is how the band's arrangements (especially the guitar parts) evolve and get better and better with each show and finally culminate in their best and final versions at the NY Academy of Music show. Amazing.

same here - I followed the recordings on that tour (and others) too. The band definitley gets better and better. I also know that Lou stopped drinking at one point while still in Europe; and stayed off alcohol until end. Lou's main incidents of out of control behavior were because of alcohol. He was a pretty good drug-taker.
Just one show that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-03 21:07 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 4, 2020 00:03

Palace Revolution 2000
Bungo

TRACK LISTING:
02. Wagon Wheel
04. Walk and Talk It
05. Sweet Jane
06. New Age
07. Vicious
08. I Can't Stand It
09. Satellite of Love
10. Heroin
11. I'm So Free
13. Rock & Roll
14. Sister Ray"

same here - I followed the recordings on that tour (and others) too. The band definitley gets better and better. I also know that Lou stopped drinking at one point while still in Europe; and stayed off alcohol until end. Lou's main incidents of out of control behavior were because of alcohol. He was a pretty good drug-taker.
Just one show that day.

That setlist is from an earlier tour. The Rock n Roll Animal show was 21 Dec 1973.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 4, 2020 14:56

He performed a 1972 Tour with the Tots, which aligns with the setlist cited above,

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 4, 2020 15:02

January 27: Alice Tully Hall with the Tots. December 23: Academy of Music.

Date: April 4, 2020 15:12

January 27: Alice Tully Hall with the Tots. December 23: Academy of Music.

I'm confused. Are you saying that after he parted ways with Wagner & Hunter, he did another concert with the Tots in 1973?

Comment: The Soundboard of the Dec 21 1973 (Rock N Roll Animal/Live) is on You Tube. Yep they brushed it up a little for both those classic albums. I think the entire concert, Animal & Live combined (CD) is still available on Amazon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-04 15:19 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 4, 2020 15:36

No, January 1973 in New York was with the Tots at Alice Tully Hall. Lou fired the Tots a couple of months later and toured for a bit with the Moogy Klingman Band as backup. December 1973 in New York at the Academy of Music was with Hunter and Wagner.

Date: April 4, 2020 16:05

TeddyB1018
No, January 1973 in New York was with the Tots at Alice Tully Hall. Lou fired the Tots a couple of months later and toured for a bit with the Moogy Klingman Band as backup. December 1973 in New York at the Academy of Music was with Hunter and Wagner.

Thanks - I wasn't familiar with "Alice Tulley Hall" and first thought it was a person. The set at the Dec A of M may be available - on Amazon - It has Caroline Part 1 on it and some other songs that do not appear on Animal or Live.

I need to purchase it again. Maybe Lou Reed's wife has a website where it can be obtained. ! left my CD in a rental car. I don't know if the thieves listened to it but they definitely used my SunPass (Florida Toll Road) transponder.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: April 4, 2020 17:29

I'm a big fan of the Velvet Underground and Lou Reed in particular.

When it comes to solo Lou, my preference is his 80s & 90s output.

The Blue Mask
Legendary Hearts
New Sensations

The following LP, Mistrial was a bit of a misstep. Although it does contain a couple solid tracks.

He more than redeemed himself with New York.

Magic & Loss and Set the Twilight Reeling are very good as well. Ecstasy (2000) also features some strong work, but could have been better if it was pared down a bit.

Date: April 4, 2020 17:31

Set The Twilight Reeling and Ecstasy were excellent. Ecstasy shouldn't have had Like A Possum but thats about it. He crushed it towards the end. Perfect Night and Animal Serenade were also phenomenal live albums. Animal Serenade serves as the perfect retrospective of his entire career that he rarely did so I'm happy it exists.

Date: April 4, 2020 17:44

He also performed some Live Aid Concerts in Indiana- Very Good - A Raw sound with just basic instrumental structure, I wonder if he and JC Mellencamp ever met up? It is not important but was just curious.

Date: April 4, 2020 21:33

RollingFreak
Set The Twilight Reeling and Ecstasy were excellent. Ecstasy shouldn't have had Like A Possum but thats about it. He crushed it towards the end. Perfect Night and Animal Serenade were also phenomenal live albums. Animal Serenade serves as the perfect retrospective of his entire career that he rarely did so I'm happy it exists.

I much prefer his 70's to mid 80's stuff. Up to "Legendary Hearts" I guess. I recall not liking "Growin Up in Public" all that much. But I have changed my mind since. The two albums that I just never liked, that critics went wild over, are "New York" and "Magic & Loss". They struck me as just poems with just any old chord underneath.
Lou always would have these heartbreaking songs on even the weaker albums, like "tell it to your Heart". "Think It Over", "My House", "Trade In". Missed that on those two albums.
But Lou always was cool. He knew stuff we didn't.

Date: April 4, 2020 22:10

Chris Fountain
He also performed some Live Aid Concerts in Indiana- Very Good - A Raw sound with just basic instrumental structure, I wonder if he and JC Mellencamp ever met up? It is not important but was just curious.

In Anthony DeCurtis' bio of Lou there was a section devoted to the Farm Aid appearances and commentary regarding the interaction between Lou and JCM.

Date: April 4, 2020 22:16

RollingFreak

You nailed it. Animal Serenade is one of my fav live releases by anyone ever.

There are a couple other songs on Ecstasy that I could do without. How great are Tatters, Modern Dance, Big Sky, Paranoia Key of E and the title track? I LOVE those songs and play them often.

I saw him in 2000 in Toronto at the Hummingbird Centre (now called something else). Brilliant performance. I'd have to look at the setlist again, but IIRC most of the set was dedicated to late-era material which was just fine with me.

I would LOVE to hear the original version of Legendary Hearts. I read that Lou mixed down Robert Quine's guitar for the official release. It's a great album regardless, but could have been even better if left alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-04 22:17 by JimmyTheSaint.

Date: April 5, 2020 23:43

JimmyTheSaint
RollingFreak

There are a couple other songs on Ecstasy that I could do without. How great are Tatters, Modern Dance, Big Sky, Paranoia Key of E and the title track? I LOVE those songs and play them often.

I saw him in 2000 in Toronto at the Hummingbird Centre (now called something else). Brilliant performance. I'd have to look at the setlist again, but IIRC most of the set was dedicated to late-era material which was just fine with me.

I would LOVE to hear the original version of Legendary Hearts. I read that Lou mixed down Robert Quine's guitar for the official release. It's a great album regardless, but could have been even better if left alone.

Ecstasy is a great farewell effort, which was really his last "normal" solo album. So many great songs. In addition to the ones you mentioned: Future Farmers of America, Turning Time Around, Baton Rouge. Excellent record.

His whole discography is pretty excellent. I never really got into his 1980-1988 years but there's still some great stuff there. I love The Blue Mask, New Sensations title track is excellent (particularly on Perfect Night live album), Tell It To Your Heart (particularly from Animal Serenade). Lou was never really "bad" which I guess sounds like kissing his ass but he reminds me of Dylan. Anything bad is usually so vastly outweighed by the good.

Date: April 6, 2020 23:34

RollingFreak
JimmyTheSaint
RollingFreak

Ecstasy is a great farewell effort, which was really his last "normal" solo album. So many great songs. In addition to the ones you mentioned: Future Farmers of America, Turning Time Around, Baton Rouge. Excellent record.

His whole discography is pretty excellent. I never really got into his 1980-1988 years but there's still some great stuff there. I love The Blue Mask, New Sensations title track is excellent (particularly on Perfect Night live album), Tell It To Your Heart (particularly from Animal Serenade). Lou was never really "bad" which I guess sounds like kissing his ass but he reminds me of Dylan. Anything bad is usually so vastly outweighed by the good.

How could I forget Baton Rouge?

Even on some Lou records that I'm not crazy about (ie. Growing up in Public) there are some great moments. Think It Over salvages that entire LP for me.

Tell it to Your Heart is brilliant, too.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 7, 2020 16:36

"Rock and Roll Animal" introduced a new generation of fans to Lou Reed. Using my friends and me as anecdotal examples we went nuts for that "Intro/Sweet Jane" and a tape of the album was the soundtrack to many a roadtrip or Friday night booze cruise. We knew Lou from "Walk On the Wildside" which was a cool song but too gay for a bunch of post-adolescent Midwest kids. RNRA kicked serious ass.

The next year RCA put out "Live" in response to "Metal Machine Music" if memory serves. I quickly discovered the new album was culled from the same recordings as "'Animal." A new cassette was made for the car which brought the two albums together beautifully. It fits on CD, too, and I enjoy it to this day.

Cassette side one: Side one of 'Animal' followed by side two of "Live."
Cassette side two: Side one of "Live" followed by side two of "Animal."

For CD they all fit consecutively. A few years back "Animal" was reissued with "Caroline Says" and "How Do You Think It Feels" which won't fit on the CD with the rest and detract from the overall rock and roll badassery of "Animal" and "Live."

I eventually discovered the Velvets via another live album, "1969" and went on to collect virtually everything by Lou and / or the Velvets.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 8, 2020 01:15

The release of LIVE preceded MMM by 4 months (March & July, 1975).

Print ad for LIVE had a memorable tagline: "Pervert your sense of decorum.
"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home