Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Paris show was terrific !
Posted by: Georges ()
Date: July 29, 2006 03:33

Paris, Friday July 28th 2006, 9:25 p.m., the Stones came on stage with an outstanding JJF. The sound was excellent. We had been waiting for the Paris gig since so long! Mick said in French: “il vaut mieux tard que jamais” (“late is better than never”).
Keith was absolutely great from the beginning till the end of the show. Keith is definitely the greatest performer in the world. When he was introduced by Mick, he has been cheered loudly and lengthily.

I loved the setlist:
1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
2. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
3. Oh No, Not You Again
4. She's So Cold
5. Tumbling Dice
6. As tears Go By
7. Streets of Love
8. Midnight Rambler
9. Night time is the right time
introduction
10. This Place Is Empty
11. Before They Make Me Run
12. Miss You (B stage)
13. Rough Justice (B stage)
14. Start Me Up (B stage)
15. Honky Tonk Women (B stage)
16. Sympathy For The devil
17. Paint It Black
18. Brown Sugar
encore
19. You Can’t Always Get What You Want
20. Satisfaction

As I expected, Midnight Rambler was the highlight of the show. I really wanted to hear it and I really enjoyed all the show. It was a great night.
Two shows in Paris would have been appreciated.

Re: The Paris show was terrific !
Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 29, 2006 03:34

glad to hear that
thx for your short review

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 29, 2006 09:12

I just but cannot only confirm.This gig was terrific . An oustanding Keith during all the show. Mick showed to the crowd that he is still the greatest performer, using his french to deliver funny remarks at the right time ( " J'ai soif" [ I am thisrty] et " Keith, monsieur cocotier") and have the crowd shouting when frequently asked . The french are not good at english, but the sing-along on YCAGWYW could have let anyone imagine that she/he was in London. Charlie hit his drums as hell ( re- Paint it Black). MR the peak. Probably. An extended , rock and blues version. SOL was well received by the audience. As in San Siro,I found Ronnie in bad shape. His 2 or 3 solos were far from those of say 10-15 years ago. On YCAGWYW and SOL I felt very sad for him. Anyway, they all seemed to enjoy playing together, which is the most important for years to come.

Posted by: buchie ()
Date: July 29, 2006 09:15

To my opinion: this was one of the best Stones shows ever. Saw them in the US 3x last year, in berlin and Cologne last week, but this was the best from this tour. They were great. Ronnie was fantastisc, Mick = God. Midnight Rambler was a real killer.
Thank you guys. See you tonight at Tim Ries or monday at the Arena

Rob

Posted by: Edith_Grove ()
Date: July 29, 2006 09:28

These guys rock !

They were so happy to be on stage and to play Rock and roll.
Mick is playing with the audience with maestra and sing like the first days.
Surely the best show of the Bigger Bang leg in Europe so far.
really really great ! Hope we will get some good boots (audio / video) this time !
and now I 'm going south for holidays ...a wonderful evening to begin holidays !
See you in London winking smiley

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: July 29, 2006 09:45

Good to hear that they played well yesterday. I'm looking forward to Amsterdam!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 29, 2006 11:02

~*YEAH!*~

thanks for the reviews, people

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: forest73 ()
Date: July 29, 2006 11:35

Fantastique,terrific,incredible !!
the best show in Paris since 1995.
better than licks tour,better than Voodo lounge tour,better than B and T tour
marvelous set list!!
great moment standing near the front row
first show in Forest national Bruxelles 73
last show yersterday evening
next show ==>porto
a great History for me !! never stop

Date: July 29, 2006 11:55

Paris was not sold out. More than this : 89,000 people. According to organizers
and Nouvel Observateur. I won my bet.

Date: July 29, 2006 12:16

For all the sceptics who think This band cannot sell out a show and inflame a rock stadium. If someone needs a translation, email.

CONCERT DES STONES

89.000 personnes
au Stade de France

NOUVELOBS.COM | 29.07.06 | 08:41

89.000 personnes ont acclamé les Rolling Stones vendredi soir.

Mick Jagger et Keith Richards au stade de France (AP)

Ambiance survoltée au Stade de France. Environ 89.000 personnes, selon les organisateurs, s'étaient dépalcées pour acclamer le légendaire groupe de rock des sixties, les Rolling Stones.
Mick Jagger (63 ans), Keith Richards (62 ans), Charlie Watts (65 ans) et Ron Wood (59 ans) sont entrés en chantant "Jumpin Jack flash" puis ont interprété quelques uns de leurs morceaux inscrits dans l'anthologie du rock.
Pour le premier rendez-vous français (ils sont attendus à Nice le 8 août) de leur gigantesque tournée "A bigger bang", les Stones ont encore prouvé qu'ils étaient, après 42 ans de concerts, des bêtes de scène.

Légendaires déanchements

A 62 ans, le "Pirate" Keith Richards est toujours le "roi" du riff, et Mick Jagger a toujours la même voix aiguë et puissante: rock. Ses déanchements d'un bout à l'autre de la scène ont enflammé un public conquis où des fans de la première heure sont venus avec leurs enfants, voire leurs petits-enfants, de France et d'ailleurs, en témoignent les cars aux immatriculations lointaines.
Depuis le 21 août 2005 à Boston (Etats-Unis), début de cette nouvelle tournée des superlatifs, 4,5 millions de personnes ont applaudi les Stones.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 29, 2006 12:30

Thanks,this must have been...one of the best gigs..only one day..and they are in Holland...well they maybe arrived allready!

KEITH IS BACK !!
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 29, 2006 12:58

Yes friends, all you can read here is abslolutely TRUE !
a great show. I saw about 20 and this one was in the top 5.
MR is so great when the band plays it like that. I wish they could play more blues/rock versions like this one.
Mick when you pick up your harmonica, you are a blues man...

many energy, Keith is back ! at last some guitars !! hum.. excus'me, one guitar sad smiley

I am about to go the George V hotel now to thank the band for a such pleasant evening.

jeff

Date: July 29, 2006 13:15

by the way nothing important but just for your information the show started at 9.25 quite late and unusual and ended at 11.30

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: July 29, 2006 13:25

Hi guys,

I was there yesterday and I 'll tell you something.
You can still consider our dear Stones as the greatest rock'n'roll band in the universe !

I remember the licks Tour concert in Stade de France in 2003 and I was so disappointed with the sound and the performance

I was a bit suspicious before the yesterday show but you can believe me the sound was wonderful and the performance too.

Mick was in a great great shape and spoke in french more than he used to do.

I have taped the show and made some improvements

I will try to put it on DAD...I've never done that before. I am on holidays so I could also send a copy on CD to someone that will make it available to DAD

Any volunteer ?

Date: July 29, 2006 13:31

Hi, Jeff. Yes unusual. Thus mostly a night gig which is great. A cool weather also . Bless ,at George V, Mick, Keith and Charlie for what they have given to this huge audience ( the biggest in Europe !!! ) : a memorable evening. I saw this band nearly 30 times since 1971. Sure also in my top 5. Hope there will be bootleg. Agree, MR is worth the buy on its own.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 29, 2006 13:40

buchie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To my opinion: this was one of the best Stones
> shows ever. Saw them in the US 3x last year, in
> berlin and Cologne last week, but this was the
> best from this tour. They were great. Ronnie was
> fantastisc, Mick = God. Midnight Rambler was a
> real killer.

Absolutely true! We (TooTough, salar and Thomas) are always sceptical about
a warhorse dominated show. But beginning with Köln (which had almost a
perfect setlist, a great sound and great guitar interplay and enthusiasm)
- Paris knocked it out! Possibly the best sound you can get in a stadium!
MR was worth 91 € alone! Ronnie was in great shape and played very inspired
and was wide awake - he saved Keith`s arse (like in München) on the
B-stage, when he played the intro while Keith was once again not sure
about the difference between ONNYA and RJ. When Ronnie got the thing
started Keith smiled with gratitude.

For us the last show - we could hear the boys improve - after starting well
in Munich. After all the disappointments (sickness, delays, cancellations ...)
we are at even terms with our band.

If this was our last show ever - it couldn´t have been a better final.

But we don´t believe that this is the last European tour;-)

Regards (cu fos in 2007),

TooTough, salar and Thomas

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 29, 2006 14:16

Not much to say just that it was a great show...yes GREAT

Date: July 29, 2006 14:20

Just saw the top coverage at Midday News on the french second TV channel, Antenne 2. Aside from short extracts of the gig ( The greatest R&R band and so on) and the very high level quality of it, they confirmed the 89,000 audience.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 29, 2006 14:28

Nice to read such encouraging reviews

cant see how they could have got 89,000 in, though - sounds like it was an even tighter squeeze than 1998!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-29 14:29 by Gazza.

Date: July 29, 2006 14:35

yes TF1 and France 2 made nice reports. Mick saying "mieux vaut tard que jamais". The audience interviewed, young and older people, agreed that it was a high energy show and that no one can play rock'n'roll as they do, even for bands made of 20 years old people...
this band still amazes me...

what am i gonna do when it is over ??? sad smiley

Date: July 29, 2006 14:59

Gazza, there were roughly 35,000 people on the pitch. It was as packed as in 1998, for which we never got the real audience figure,only that it was crowded.
I think you speak french. So, go to the site www.antenne2.fr to the link " JT en video" ( [ news in video ] ) on the left of the screen. This midday news should be available this afternoon or tomorrow.And you will be able to hear the audience of 89,000 announced.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 29, 2006 15:08

This shows is the best show I've attended so far on the tour (have seen 5 bigger bang shows). The band was on fire, entered the stage with a fantastic sharp version of Jumping Jack Flash, followed by even sharper versions of IORR, Oh No Not You Again and She's So Cold. The Stones always deliver, the standards of the concerts are all very high, but some nights are better than others. Paris last night was one of those special nights. I will describe the show with two words: energy and dynamite.

The crowd was fantastic as well, and the band responded with AMAZING versions of Midnight Rambler and Night Time. I have seen Night Time 4 times on the tour before, but holy shit they nailed this one in Paris. I was thrilled and amazed by the swinging groove, and Lisa of course did a hell of a job. Midnight Rambler was my highlight of the concert. Only The Stones can turn a giant stage on a giant stadium into a little dirty rock'n'roll club. Rambler sounded like an angry, dirty, rocking and rolling rythm'n'blues band playing live on a tiny club stage, with raw harmonica and guitars. Mick danced, ran, clapped, and sang. He was on fire, the band was on fire. It was impossible to avoid tramping my rocking feet thru the stadium floor.

Keith sings better and better. Tongiht it was almost perfect(rock'n'roll is not supposed to be perfect, so almost perfect means it could not have been better). This Place Is Empty was a great surprise, and he sang loud and clear - also on Before They Make Me Run. From there, the hits pleased the crowd and the played very well, but the first half of the show they were the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world indeed.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 29, 2006 15:37

aahhhh...I hope they play the Minight Ramble in Holland!!!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 29, 2006 15:39

Paris - a true Stones town - deserved more than a greatest hits set. That said, glad it was apparently a great show in terms of performance!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: July 29, 2006 16:32

What lousy reviews. Not one whiner in the bunch? What gives? This board is going to hell I tell you!!!

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: July 29, 2006 16:33

Read otonneaus review and you will be satisfied.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 29, 2006 16:42

Steven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What lousy reviews. Not one whiner in the bunch?
> What gives? This board is going to hell I tell
> you!!!

Thats because France is always known for fine w(h)ines

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 29, 2006 16:45

That's a clever one!

Date: July 29, 2006 16:52

Interesting. Apparently we did not attend the same show. I was at both shows in 1981 in Paris. They were by far not as brilliant as this one, in my point of view. To top the yesterday show in Paris, I have to revert to 1971. Keith guitar playing was fantastic. Why speak of lousy reviews, why whine when there is only acclaims to write. Of course he did some mishaps. But truely they were only audible by hardcore fans. But those small errors are part of the magic. It is part of them. No robots. They provided the audience with 2 pure hours of magic ( " bonheur"). What is the need to say : I would have liked them to perform x and y. Attendees love this electric show. They demonstrated that they are still the best. So...go ahead for Amsterdam at full speed.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: July 29, 2006 17:42

I agree for a fantasterrific show and i saw a lot.
My wife and my first daughter were amazed too.
The Stones themselves knew it was a pretty good show.
Some prooves :
- Keith and Mick touch themselves a few times and finished side by side for the last salute. Charlie smiling and congratulating all the members one by one.
- Keith gave a little touch on Ronny's hair during BTMMR to encourage him to go on.
- Keith again introducing Mick referring to his birthday then joking : he hates when we remain him this kind of things.
- When there was some problems during Sympathy (KR's guitar could not be heared for the first solo) Mick was always smiling and not with his "worried face" i used to see in these circumstances.
- Exceptional moment during MR before the last acceleration : it lasted more than usual
- The temperature was ideal for a rock show

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home