Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Oh no ..................... you got me rocking is back
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 21, 2006 13:35

Good one, Paulywaul! Post of the week!

Posted by: glimmer twin 81 ()
Date: July 21, 2006 13:39

lol
bv its so stupid that people must not have a negative opinion
on a special song
i mean stones land is so big there are hundreds of songs
and for sure just a few are really good
thats life

and ygmr is one of the worst songs of vl
i mean for example i go wild is a bad song too nearly as bad as
dont stop but played live they are good songs

ygmr is always bad and boring

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 22, 2006 23:59

Its a mid-life crisis song...and they are now further..up the road.

Re: why do they still play YGMR?
Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: July 23, 2006 00:33

I think it works really well live. I really really like the 2 versions on the Four Flicks Dvds. Personally, I'm happy to see it in the setlist as I like to see as many modern Stones songs as possible in the set. I was so happy to see Out of Control and Love is Strong in their sets too. Too bad they haven't stuck around as much as YGMR.

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: July 23, 2006 00:48

Why do they still play it? Cause it's a great song. It has a great riff, awesome lyrics, catchy chorus and it's upbeat and positive in the same way that Start Me Up is but rocking in the same wayt hat JJF is. Plus the crowd seems to love it, it's an easy song to get into, just like their best warhorses. Watch the Rio version, people scream the chorus! Also I think the band really likes playing it and get a kick out of the fact that it's not a 60's or a 70's song but a 90's song so it proves that they can still get the crowd going with their "newer" songs.

99% of the hardcore fans don't like it? No way.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 23, 2006 01:05

Luke33 had it right awhile back. KEITH LOVES THIS SONG!! Instead of cringing and complaining when it comes up, just watch Keith and the shear enjoyment he gets out of riffing on this tune. I hate it's undeserved warhorse status too, but learned to love it by watching Keith lay it down with so much fervor.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 23, 2006 01:39

I am sick of it personally,but I accept that they always play it well and Keith loves it.

I hope it dosen't become a set regular again - so many others to choose from.

sc uk

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 23, 2006 01:54

One good reason for not playing YGMR on the B-stage:
Then they may play Start Me Up instead on the B-stage.
And then we will get Paint It Black in the SMU position.
Sure I love Paint It Black every time they play it!

Bjornulf

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 23, 2006 02:24

I can never understand why they only play PIB at about half the shows,but always play HTW, Miss You,IORR etc.
PIB is as well known as any other warhorse and they always play it well.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 23, 2006 02:24

Get used to it...Keith LOVES it....and it rocks!

JR

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 23, 2006 04:21

i don't like the song either but i think they push it because they don't want all their warhorses to be old tunes. they made that warhorse, not the radio stations and ticket sales which made the others.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 23, 2006 09:22

YGMR is great. In my opinion I always felt like....... Well, I won't say that you don't like the Stones if you don't like a certain song, but somehow there must be a bit of truth in that. YGMR is the prime example for the Stones in the nineties (They seem to belive that). If you don't like that, maybe there is something about it that you didn't like the 90s Stones.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: July 23, 2006 09:30

They play it cause its a great tune!
It's good to hear at a show, people sing it, and seem to enjoy it, why the heck not!?!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 23, 2006 12:26

paulywaul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > THe Stones have hundreds of songs. May be you
> > don't like every song. But many others like
> that
> > song. So please accept they play it, to please
> all
> > the others.
> >
> > PS. I think You Got Me Rocking is great!
>
> Well I haven't really got any choice but to accept it ........ have I ?? I
> mean really, it's not as if I have a hotline straight to whoever knocks up
> their setlists, much as it would be nice to !!
>

Joy o joy (mincing and skipping across living room) my prayers have been answered. Maybe I have got a hotline to the man upstairs (or failing that Mick Jagger will do) after all ?? They didn't play it in Berlin. Question is, will they now suffer a relapse and play it in Cologne tonight ? Stay tuned for further news bulletins ...................

Date: July 25, 2006 05:40

What it comes down to,if you like it or not,is this song has been played too much.It is costing us more interesting songs.
I like the '90's Stones which makes me hate this song more and more each time they play it,if that makes sense.'94-'03 it was played almost 400 times which was one thing but,why on God's green earth won't they,by now,try other songs from that era?Love Is Strong was good to see but,it only lasted three shows on this tour.There are many better songs than YGMR from all eras.I personally think that it is too perfunctory.Why not play I Go Wild for one more tour,at least a leg of a tour or something like Too Tight or Low Down to name a few other options?Everyone that has wanted to hear You Got Me Rocking live probably already has.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: July 25, 2006 06:11

ygmr is a great rocker.and anyone who saw them do rj,and ygmr on the b stage in ft lauderdale knows that was the highlite of a great show.it really gets the crowd going.

john scialfa

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 25, 2006 06:19

"gets the crowd going" seems to be the only defense that the YGMR-apologists have to offer. but guess what - THAT'S NOT ENOUGH. I'm sure if the Stones played 'Smoke on the Water,' the crowd would "get going." (I'd 'get going' out the door, personally.) Yes, caveman rock appeals to the lowest common denominator at any Stones show. But that's not enough of a justification!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 25, 2006 06:20

They didn't play it in Koln. Someone from that organization reads these posts. They have to.

Posted by: wälder ()
Date: July 25, 2006 09:58

It´s a great song live - love it!

Wälder

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: July 25, 2006 11:45

You got Me Rocking - ROCKS!! and I wanna hear it!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 25, 2006 12:18

jagger50 Wrote:
> Whatever we think, it's the Stones that call the
> shots.

Disagree. I think that as far as the Stones are concerned, the choice of songs on the current tour would suggest that theyve allowed things to be dictated by the sizeable percentage of their audience who pay the most money but who at the same time know very little of their material (ie, 40 Licks and just about nothing else). By charging so much money for tickets, theyve changed the demographic of their average audience in recent years and are content to pander to that. Classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

If the Stones were 'calling the shots', I seriously doubt theyd feel obliged to play (or want to play) the same 10-12 'warhorses' EVERY night. Its a part of their work where theyve abdicated control of what they do to others. Which, from an artistic perspective, isnt a good sign IMO.

As for the 'it gets the crowd going' argument', not from what Ive seen. Distinctly remember it being played on the b-stage at an LA show I was at and the crowd around the b-stage, standing within feet of Jagger, couldnt have cared less! Certainly dont mind it being played occasionally as in many ways its good that they play some 'later' songs, but it certainly gets more live performances than its status deserves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-25 12:21 by Gazza.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: July 25, 2006 12:32

YGMR live is better than:

Miss You
Night Time
Rain Fall Down
Streets ofShit
Angie
Respectable (they can't play it any more)
Both Keef songs (take your pic of the bunch)
HTW (great song, but too tired now)
Tumbling Dice (great song, but too tired now)
Sympathy (great song, but too tired now)

So it is in the top half of the songs they do live these days.

Date: July 25, 2006 12:36

thats the problem - I'm not a fan of it but I'd rather hear it played occasionally than to hear Miss You EVERY night

SFTD was fantastic in Berlin, I have to say, Steven - one warhorse I've never been disappointed in when played live. Before They Make Me Run was shit hot too, and the highlight of the show for me.

Date: July 25, 2006 12:45

Because it's fun to play. Personally, I think it's one of the best post TY-songs they have made.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 25, 2006 13:55

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> Because it's fun to play. Personally, I think it's
> one of the best post TY-songs they have made.

not that the competition is THAT great . . .

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: July 25, 2006 15:57

Gazza,
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the show. That's what it is all about. There certainly are times when Mick still goes crazy during SFTD. Thanks for your positive vibes, it will ease the pain of going to the bank this week for fall tix, LOL!

How would you rate the energy and overall performance at this point compared to Saitama? Most of the rust been knocked off?

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 25, 2006 16:01

I also saw them play YGMR on the b-stage during a past tour and man did it bring the crowd down. Mick sure tried hard to get everyone into it and put a lot energy into it. But people seemed not as interested in the song, just the people who were very close to the stage who were just excited to be close to the Stones.

Honestly they have so many better songs from VL and B2B, that would work so much better, the chorus of YGMR is also same in the same exact tone as the chorus for Rough Justice. DO SOMETHING DIFFerent.

Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: July 25, 2006 17:05

maybe they should hand this song out to angus?

Date: July 25, 2006 17:17

Steven Wrote:
> Gazza,
> I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the show. That's
> what it is all about. There certainly are times
> when Mick still goes crazy during SFTD. Thanks for
> your positive vibes, it will ease the pain of
> going to the bank this week for fall tix, LOL!
>
> How would you rate the energy and overall
> performance at this point compared to Saitama?
> Most of the rust been knocked off?

I'm not sure. I thought Saitama was a very good performance, but obviously its a bit of a different perspective watching a broadcast than being at a show, whether that perspective is better or worse. I thought Berlin was a solid enough show, without being particularly great throughout - but for the 5th show of a tour, I thought they played well technically enough. It had its 'moments' if you know what I mean, but it didnt really change any opinions I had before and that is that there are too high a % of songs (especially in the second half of the show) that have been played to death and at the very least need to be rotated more often - even if its with other crowd pleasers that everyone would know and which would also work at that point of the concert

I still think this tour peaked performance wise and in terms of being interesting from Hollywood Bowl in November up to around MSG in January.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 26, 2006 01:17

Smoke..pills ..powder...booze...getting 40!!!!Hey!!!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home