Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick J's Guitars
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 31, 2011 22:59

Mathijs
FreeBird
Mathijs
Dead serious.

Mathijs
Including slide?

Jagger's slide on This House is Empty and Blue is quite nice. I wouldn't say better than anything Brian has done, but certainly as effective.

Mathijs

And Back of My Hand....
Jagger has a natural feel. Sometimes, it seems non-musicians can't recognize that...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 31, 2011 23:05

stupidguy2
I don't know if Jagger has a go-to electric.....
But he's always had those beautiful Gibson acoutstics...particularly the Hummingbird.
His raucous work on the Strat for Some Girls is prrof enought for me that the man can rock and roll with abandon on guitar. That album would have been completely different without his playing.
But he seems like an acoustic player to me.

He did a great job on the electric sometimes to fill the gasp imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-31 23:37 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 1, 2011 01:52

The Greek
Mathijs
Come On
Mick Jagger is not the Guitar-type...

But Jagger now plays better guitar than Jones ever did -smiling smiley .

Mathijs
are you serious or is this a early start for april fools day

Agree with Mathjis here. Jagger is a very good guitar player. He has great feel. Brian did too, but Brian could never have played that funky rhythm on Stop Breaking Down.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 1, 2011 04:20

71Tele

Agree with Mathjis here. Jagger is a very good guitar player. He has great feel. Brian did too, but Brian could never have played that funky rhythm on Stop Breaking Down.

Why not? It's very easy to play, it just sounds good.

To carry on this stupid comparison in a thread that's meant to be about Mick's guitars...

Mick and Keith have never managed to match the feel and finesse of Brian's slide playing on Little Red Rooster, I Can't Be Satisfied etc etc. They didn't manage to whilst he was alive and they haven't managed to since he died.

eye rolling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-01 04:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 1, 2011 08:44

His Majesty
71Tele

Why not? It's very easy to play, it just sounds good.

To carry on this stupid comparison in a thread that's meant to be about Mick's guitars...

Mick and Keith have never managed to match the feel and finesse of Brian's slide playing on Little Red Rooster, I Can't Be Satisfied etc etc. They didn't manage to whilst he was alive and they haven't managed to since he died.

eye rolling smiley
Dead Right! thumbs up grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: December 20, 2011 17:26

Guitar of Jagger's boyhood dreams
By Nate 'Willie' Westgor | Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011

....When I started my own business selling guitars nearly 25 years ago, I made the commitment to sell, whenever possible, only American-made merchandise based on my belief that products designed and built here, from any generation, are intrinsically more valuable. Nearly every day, customers from around the globe — collectors, working musicians, even rock stars — tell me nothing compares with American-made instruments. A few years ago, I sold British rock star Mick Jagger a guitar he dreamed of as a kid. It was originally sold by Sears for $55 in the early '60s. He was visibly thrilled to get the American-made student guitar of his boyhood dreams and took it onstage the next day at Xcel Energy Center. He and countless other professional musicians still understand what "Made in the U.S.A." is supposed to mean. For artists like him, quality and Americana are inseparable.
[www.minnpost.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 20, 2011 19:18

I love the black early 60's Fender Jaguar that he is cradling on the cover of the Rarities CD. peace.

Date: December 21, 2011 01:00

ChelseaDrugstore
jagger's guitars are cosmetic in many ways. He chooses them, based on looks I feel. And the sound is generic. He could probably use any guitar in the world to do what he does. On stage. BOMH being an exception.
What we need next hopefully is thread on Bill's guitars/basses.

What? Jagger plays Gibson Hummingbird acoustics, and strats or Sgs...
As a musician, I've always been amazed at how people just diminish Jagger's guitar skills because he's a singer or because he plays primarily ryhthm.
Jagger is a musician.

Date: December 21, 2011 01:06

Come On
But still: Jagger is not the Guitar-type. Brian was. smoking smiley

And Brian wasn't the songwriter type.
I mean, that's silly statement. Jagger is a musician, period.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 22, 2011 02:54

stupidguy2
ChelseaDrugstore
jagger's guitars are cosmetic in many ways. He chooses them, based on looks I feel. And the sound is generic. He could probably use any guitar in the world to do what he does. On stage. BOMH being an exception.
What we need next hopefully is thread on Bill's guitars/basses.

What? Jagger plays Gibson Hummingbird acoustics, and strats or Sgs...
As a musician, I've always been amazed at how people just diminish Jagger's guitar skills because he's a singer or because he plays primarily ryhthm.
Jagger is a musician.

As someone who plays alot of guitar I can say with confidence that MJ is a good guitar player! He sticks to rhythm because Keith and Ronny give him so much grief about his playing (I sense a bit of fear in their parts). Reading the Some girls liner notes today it hjokes that Chris Kimsey used to say " Look out , here comes Lou Reed" every time Jagger picked up a guitar in the studio. lol They were implying that he has a heavy hand and less finese that the other two guitarists is my take on it. But MJ plays fine guitar! Don't be fooled by what other people say, he could replace Ron Wood in a heartbeat is more closer to the truth. peace.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:38

Rockman

Wembley stadium 4 July 1990

Interview Excerpt from Elliot Easton

Elliot had this to say about the signature line in this interview.

From Vintage Guitar Magazine
By Willie G. Moseley

At one time, you had a Kramer signature model guitar.

That was something that I designed with Tom Anderson, who's a fine builder. The guy who was running Kramer at the time, Dennis Berardi, loved to hang around rock bands; I don't know any other way to put it. He was a nice guy, and he offered me the opportunity to design my own signature instrument. I took it as a challenge to come up with something for Kramer that had more of a traditional vibe. At the time, they didn't offer a guitar that didn't have a Floyd Rose. So I designed a guitar with a Tele-style bridge. It was available in two models: The Tele bridge and Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pounder system with a five-way switch for a lot of sounds, or with a humbucking-single-single pickup setup with a Floyd Rose. I thought such a guitar might have some appeal to country players and roots rockers who might go for the Tele configuration.

Looks-wise, I was inspired at the time by that orange Jackson guitar Jeff Beck was playing around the time of his Flash album. I wanted something that looked like it could have existed, but didn't. The pickguard on the Kramer is an example; Fender could have done that with their Tele, but didn't.

Mick Jaggerplayed one of the Tom Anderson-built prototypes in the Mixed Emotions video. Tom built fabulous guitars, and I can't honestly say that the production guitars had the "magic" of the Anderson-built ones. That's not to put Kramer down, but you're talking about two completely different setups; one is an artist in a small shop, building one guitar at a time, the other is a huge factory, which by its very definition has to turn out a lot of instruments. In effect, Fender has gotten around the same potential problem by offering the Custom Shop; they don't ask you to expect the same thing out of a Mexican-built Strat as one that Jay Black builds for you (chuckles).

Mick also played this blue (apparently) Tom Anderson with a bridge-humbucker, HSS pickup configured guitar.
if that's a Floyd Rose Trem, I'm glad it was not in use.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home