Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13
Mick T's Guitars
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 1, 2006 10:08

okay, by popular demand and Mathijs's amazing generosity in supplying all these photos!
forgive me please when i start messing up the chronology - i'm not much of a MickT-spotter
and i sure hope our resident Kind Patient Learned Guitar Connoisseurs will provide some of their fascinating commentary to all this ...

starting with some of his sunburst LPs ... first is the one he bought from Keith (through Stu) late in 67,
which Keith then requisitioned to use on HTW on the 69 tour:

- both 1968, both by Bengt Skogberg, both courtesy of Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-15 22:47 by with sssoul.

Re: Mick T's Guitars
Date: July 1, 2006 10:11

is this the same 59 LP?

- courtesy of Mathijs (don't know who took it or when, sorry!)

Date: July 1, 2006 10:13

if i'm understanding the photo labels right, this one's a 1960 LP -
edit: scratch that - it's a 59.

- MSG 1972, courtesy of Mathijs (don't know who took it, sorry!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-20 12:41 by with sssoul.

Date: July 1, 2006 10:17

... so what are we lookin at here?

- likewise

- likewise

Date: July 1, 2006 10:18

- Birmingham 1973, courtesy of Mathijs (don't know who took it, sorry!)

- 1974 i guess! courtesy of Mathijs (don't know who took it, sorry!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-01 10:20 by with sssoul.

Date: July 1, 2006 10:22

- 1987 by Dial300 (courtesy of Mathijs)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-16 18:52 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 1, 2006 10:27

Mick Taylor - 1970 Photo Nevis Cameron

ROCKMAN

Date: July 1, 2006 10:29

an ES-355:

... and a 61 (i think!) SG:

- likewise

Date: July 1, 2006 10:34

and a couple of Fenders:

- Saville Theatre dec 14 1969, courtesy of Mathijs
(don't know who took it, sorry! thanks for the date Erik & Juan)

- 1973, courtesy of Mathijs (don't know who took it, sorry!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-01 20:37 by with sssoul.

Date: July 1, 2006 10:42

Wembley 1973 - Daily Mirror

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: July 1, 2006 10:43

That one picture were you call it a 1960 les paul i think it's a 1959. I thought 1960 to 1962 pauls were actually sg's they stopped that body style for two years i think it was 1960-62 i will have to look that up and make sure what years they actually did the body change. By the way i think that sg is the stones guitar the one Jagger play's in Hampton When the Whip comes down and just my imagination. The cherry red one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-01 11:02 by stonesfrk.

Date: July 1, 2006 11:06

i'm just going by the labels on the photos i got from Mathijs, and i might be misinterpreting some of them,
but this site says it was in 61 that the SG body style was introduced: [www.provide.net]

1961 Gibson Les Paul SG Standard specs:
complete body style change to symmetrical pointed double cutaways, thin mahogany body with beveled edges, cherry red finish (refered to as the "SG" body style). Still says "Les Paul" on the peghead and/or truss rod cover, but is often called a "SG/Les Paul Standard" because of the SG body shape. Peghead slightly wider. This model actually started in very late 1960, at about serial number "010001" (and was co-produced with the single cutaway sunburst Les Paul). All 1960/1961 SG Standards seem to be equipped with the infamous (crappy) "sideways" vibrato.
Gibson Les Paul Standard discontinued 1963 in name only (now called SG Standard) ... [until] 1968 Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop Re-introduction

here's Mick's SG, just for comparison ...

- 1981, by Lynn Goldsmith

that's what's known as a lyre tailpiece, right? and MickT's has/had the "infamous (crappy) 'sideways' vibrato"?
he doesn't look really happy with it in that photo, does he. :E

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-01 11:17 by with sssoul.

Date: July 1, 2006 11:20

another look at Mick T's SG:

- july 5th 1969, from Stones in the Park, courtesy of BrownEyedGirll

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: July 1, 2006 11:22

Notice how in every one of the pictures he looks practically identical. Same pose, same look on his face. It's like they only have one picture of him and paste it in every time.

Date: July 1, 2006 11:29

Yeah. That's a trip. It's like a bixby which i don't dig either but you can take them off just like a strat Whammy bar. I knew the sg were called les pauls that's what i meant it was a weird couple of years Les Paul did that but thats why he brought back the original because he knew they were the SH**. He had a bunch of the body's left from the fifties and a lot of 1968 and 69 pauls are the real deal like Woody Black 68 my brother has one it sounds unbelievable.

Date: July 1, 2006 11:38

Yeah Reptile it's like he's in another world triped on LSD. A Statue what a bummer he always seems depressed.

Date: July 1, 2006 11:43

with sssoul, Thanks for the work of getting jagger's sg it's hard to tell because you can take those vibratos off. In Mick Taylor shots there black and white and Jaggers it's color. Who know's but Jagger's does look newer.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: July 1, 2006 12:46

I've seen a resent picture of Taylor using the SG from the cover of Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Don't remember where, but I think it was one of the bigger Taylor sites.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2006 13:18

I do not know for sure how many LP's Taylor played during his years with the Stones. This is what I know:

1. LP with bigsby. Easily recognisable by the dark spot on the lower horn of the guitar. Sold by Keith through Stu to Taylor in '67 or '68. There's some pics of Jagger in the studio with this LP (maybe you can post them sssoul). This guitar was stolen July '71 from Nellcote. It has turned up lately, and has been for sale. Apperently a collector paid $450.000 for it.
2. Taylor used ONE LP during the entire '72 tour. It is a plain top '59, standard Tulip Kluson tuning gears, pickup covers removed, scratch plate still attached.
3. For the '73 Winter tour he plays either the same LP but with some adjustments, or it is an entirely different guitar: the pick guard is removed (notice the bracket is still on the guitar) and the tuning gears are changed to metal Grovers. The guitars appears to be a bit darker in colour than the one he used in '72, but I am not certain if this is due to the lighting, or that it is really a different guitar (there's some Melbourne and Auckland pics available). My guess is that on the picture of Taylor sitting next to his guitars, this is the guitar on the left.
4. For the '73 Euro tour he used another LP, easily recognisable at the stripe running from the selector switch to in between the pickups. The guitar has a striped pattern on the top (tiger stripes).

Taylor sold all his guitars in the early 80's to sustain his drug addiction. The '73 Euro guitar is now owned by a member of the LP forum.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 1, 2006 13:25

Great read and views again, with sssoul and Matijs.
That picture on post 9 with Taylor playing a Telecaster is from Saville THeater Dec 14th 1969. Of course, I could be wrong, but it looks like the famous footage from that gig.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 1, 2006 13:39

Taylor never quite made for the exciting photos that the other big bad Stones do, but he has that angelic look about him in the early pics. especially the ones with the SG early on, and the one with the dark E 355.
I find it so sad that he had to sell his guitars to keep the dope coming. Had no idea about that one. Shows how lopsided the money was coming in.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: July 1, 2006 16:18

>> There's some pics of Jagger in the studio with this LP (maybe you can post them sssoul). <<

happy to! i think these are all from 1970 ...

- both from Pictorial Press, both courtesy of Mathijs (don't know who took them, sorry!)

- likewise

different instrument here, and i'm not sure when the shot is from - i'm not much of a Mick-spotter. :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-02 13:00 by with sssoul.

Date: July 1, 2006 16:32

Hyde Park 1969

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 1, 2006 16:38

Thanks for those pictures....is that 1979 solo album of him..any good? Its a shame but I never heard it!

Date: July 1, 2006 16:47

Nicaraguan Benifit concert - LA Forum Jan 18 1973....no credits listed.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 1, 2006 20:16

The shots of Mick with the Fenders . . . the one with the Tele is from one of the Dec. '69 London shows (whichever one has the circulating video - can't think of it right now) and the shot of Mick with the Strat - did he ever play a Strat onstage with the Stones or was that pic taken during Billy's opening set?

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 1, 2006 20:21

Really great guitars!!
Eccentric, not quite!!
Put it this way:
The guitars are straightforward!!
I've really enjoyed the sound of 'em, that's for sure!!
Look, not that Taylor's playing had much to do with his guitars.
Eventually, you could give him a cheap Strat copy and he'd rock it!!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 1, 2006 20:31

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-07 23:22 by Beelyboy.

Date: July 1, 2006 20:34

thank you Erik and Juan for that Saville Theatre on the Tele shot -
i'll fix that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-14 01:58 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 2, 2006 00:13

Ah, a subject after my own heart. Some additonal photos to illustrate Mathijs comments:

Mathijs wrote:

For the '73 Winter tour he plays either the same LP but with some adjustments, or it is an entirely different guitar: the pick guard is removed (notice the bracket is still on the guitar)

ChrisM: My favorite pic of Mick with this guitar:

there's some Melbourne and Auckland pics available.

ChrisM: This pic is from Auckland I believe:

For the '73 Euro tour he used another LP, easily recognisable at the stripe running from the selector switch to in between the pickups. The guitar has a striped pattern on the top (tiger stripes).

ChrisM: This one Mathijs? I thought it was Keith's:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-05 22:18 by ChrisM.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home