Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Keith's and Ron's Zemaitis Guitars
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 29, 2009 21:09

Nice close up, Munichhilton.
it's Ronnies "Stay With Me" Zemaitis.
the first one built, for Ron.

Date: September 29, 2009 21:43

So are there at least two of that same model? I did not realize that Ron must have lost the first one. And if so - where does that first one reside now?
Does the current one have all those cool ingravings, like scribblings on the plate?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 29, 2009 21:46

i don't think open-g meant Ronnie has had more than one of those -
i think he meant that one was the first Zemaitis made for Ronnie.
as far as i know he still has it, which is one reason it's called his Stay With Me guitar.

(he has had at least three of the metalfront model.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-29 21:48 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 29, 2009 21:59

The written appreciation part:

Isn't this one a Z as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-29 22:00 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 30, 2009 00:32

>> Isn't this one a Z as well? <<

yep

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 30, 2009 06:11

Palace Revolution 2000
So are there at least two of that same model? I did not realize that Ron must have lost the first one. And if so - where does that first one reside now?
Does the current one have all those cool ingravings, like scribblings on the plate?

I think the engraving is called "Treasure Island". Tony Zemaitis did a least two Disc Fronts - Rich Robinson had one build, which was on sale for a while at Maverick Guitars for $95,000, a few years ago.

By the way, Rich Robinson has since switched to James Trussard, it seems. James is a french luthier who moved to California in the 90s. He started building metal guitars in the 80s and one of his first guitars can be seen in Johnny Thunders' "Que Sera Sera" booklet.

Thanks for the scans, I didn't know the Disc Front was so old and was an early Zemaitis.

Date: September 30, 2009 09:13

Gwen, are you talking about the guitar that JT is carrying upside down in the Que Sera booklet?

Date: September 30, 2009 12:19

It's a bit off topic but in some way related to Zemaitis...

The photo I was thinking of is here, linked from Trussart's web site - will have to check the booklet for credits, sorry :

At that time Trussart was mostly working on shiny guitars - he did some for french artists like Johnny Halliday, Jean-Louis Aubert and also gave one to Eric Clapton which was auctionned a few years ago.

Later he invented a process for a "rusty" finish which is really popular. I think there was a Jane's Addiction video where they were using Trussart guitars with a shiny finish.

A french luthier, Loic Le Pape, is getting popular at the moment with a very similar (and cheaper) offer. While Trussart worked mostly on Telecasters and Les Paul shapes, Loic is keen to try other shapes - LP Jr, Gretsch, Explorers...

Back to the Johnny Thunders story:

[www.jungle-records.demon.co.uk]
[www.jungle-records.demon.co.uk]

July 1985

9th: Recording stops. Johnny has a Fender Gibson, a semi-hollow Gretch, a 12-string Gibson 335, a Telecaster and a Les Paul Jnr., but insists he can't record without the special guitar made by James Trussart in Paris; Chief and the band all back him up. I offer to hire any guitar in London, but they insist. I try to call James, but eventually only get an assistant who says he'll be in the shop later. I decide to go to Paris and pick it up, I should be back by late afternoon. Later, at the 'Guitar Station' shop in Rue Dupere, Paris 9, James isn't there, no-one knows where he is. Outside, I bump into Henri-Paul who offers to put me up. That night he takes me to the Gibus Club, which seems to be a shrine to Johnny, with pictures and posters of him everywhere.

10th: Back at the shop, they now think James has gone to the country to see his kids, and they can't contact him. After frantic hassling and pleading, they might be able to contact someone who might be able to contact James. I pass some time sightseeing with Henri-Paul, go to the Gibus Club again but the novelty is wearing off, even the same band is on. Henri-Paul has been speeding all weekend, I last saw him when the club closed at 3.00 am - they don't seem to notice him crashed out in a corner.

11th: I've got hold of James and get the guitar. Rush back to London, and recording resumes. Predictably, the guitar is hardly used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-30 12:22 by gwen.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 30, 2009 15:51

with sssoul
[peering hard:] can anyone read what the "map" says about number 5?
"stolen from Malibu ... somethingsomething ...
"(replacement ... somethingsomething ... has been made)
"REWARD"

Aha! Now we know it was stolen in Malibu in '77. Wood mentioned it being stolen from the '76 tour. In my opinion the best looking metal front ever made, with that thin body and sharply rounded contours. He replaced it with the metal front he used from '78 to '94 and which he apparently still owns.

The Tony Jr. Zemaitis is the one I mean concerning the Miss You video. Zemaitis also made one like this for George Harrison.

Mathijs

Date: September 30, 2009 17:50

with sssoul
[peering hard:] can anyone read what the "map" says about number 5?
"stolen from Malibu ... Beach House ...
"(replacement ... somethingsomething ... has been made)
"REWARD"

leaves only one "somethingsomething" left - if I'm right that is...
must stop before I go cross-eyed eye popping smiley

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: September 30, 2009 17:51

Mathijs

The Tony Jr. Zemaitis is the one I mean concerning the Miss You video. Zemaitis also made one like this for George Harrison.

Mathijs

Hope you don't blame me for going too OT by posting some of George's here:

Date: September 30, 2009 18:10

Munichhilton
The written appreciation part:

There is NO bolt-on neck on any original Zemaitis guitar!

Tony himself told me the story about this guitar. There is indeed a Fender-like plate mounted on the back. But it's just for fooling. When you remove the plate a grinning skull looks at you.

Date: September 30, 2009 18:21

>>When you remove the plate a grinning skull looks at you.<<

Haha, it seemed to have worked smiling smiley

Date: September 30, 2009 18:34

I like the older one more too.

Date: October 1, 2009 11:45

Maverick Music is selling Zs in case someone is interested:

[www.maverick-music.com]

Posted by: mdm08033 ()
Date: October 2, 2009 20:08

chippy
78 tour shot

what guitar is this

Kris Dollimore from The Godfathers has a pearl front model like Woody. I saw it up close when The Godfathers played the Temple University Night Owl club circa the fall 1988. The other Stones connection that night was the opening act Living Colour. The other funny connection was that my best friend george was on security detail and ended up chasing down a Zemaitis theif that night and retruning the guitar to it's proper owner. Guitar thieves love those "flash" guitars.

Cheers, Michael

Posted by: deepinder ()
Date: October 4, 2009 03:55

I don't have a Zemaitis - but I know he had an E Type jag. I worked with Mike Anastasi at Hendon Way Motors London in about 1985. Mike saw one of my guitars and mentioned that his Jag belonged to guitar man Tony Zemaitis. Anastasi recalled that for some reason the provenance was important, so he rang Zemaitis who was delighted to offer any guarantees that Anastasi needed. I gave Anastasi a photo of TZ from a book by Tony Bacon (I tore it out)

I rang up Zemaitis years a few years later about something, I mentioned the Jag etc etc, there was then a conversation about those sporting Bugatti's and he wanted one, and if I knew where one could find one.

Date: October 4, 2009 16:09

For those who are not familiar with the story how Tony Zemaitis and Ronnie met for the first time I'd like to share what Tony himself wrote back in 1996
in our Z GAZETTE published by the ZEMAITIS GUITARS OWNERS CLUB:

Date: October 4, 2009 19:04

Phil Good
For those who are not familiar with the story how Tony Zemaitis and Ronnie met for the first time I'd like to share what Tony himself wrote back in 1996
in our Z GAZETTE published by the ZEMAITIS GUITARS OWNERS CLUB:

Phil, maybe you can answer this: I have had discussions with various people concerning this, including the original owner. The story is that the owner was invited on the '81 tour as long as he took his Zemaitis guitars whith him. Ever since soe of these guitars where put on sale it was always mentioned that the Stones played them both backstage and onstage.

I have always disputed the latter, and felt that it was only to boost the value of the guitars.

Do you know of any of the guitars have been used on stage by the Stones?

Mathijs

Date: October 4, 2009 20:59

Mathijs

The owner was indeed invited to join the tour by bringing his Z guitars.
I don't know anything about the guitars beeing played live on stage during a concert but I have seen pics of his guitars placed backstage alongside Ronnie's stage guitars.
I have at least one pic of his Disc placed beside Ronnie's. As it's saved on my PC in the office I can't post this pic before tomorrow.

Hope it helps, Phil

Date: October 5, 2009 08:34

Sorry, but I can't find the photo I was thinking of.
Though I think you already knew that pic as it was on a well known dealer's website.
You know the one who always has a lot of vintage Z guitars listed on his site.

Date: October 8, 2009 22:58

Phil Good
Sorry, but I can't find the photo I was thinking of.
Though I think you already knew that pic as it was on a well known dealer's website.
You know the one who always has a lot of vintage Z guitars listed on his site.

Thanks Phil!

Mathijs

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 28, 2009 02:32

bump

HMN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 2, 2009 01:17

bump

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 22, 2010 22:15

with sssoul
Ronnie's pearlfront Zemaitis, which was apparently stolen during the New Barbarians tour:

- Chicago apr 30 1979, by Henry Diltz, courtesy of Mathijs
this pearlfront Zemaitis is the most beautiful Zemaitis ever made in my opionion.stunningly beautiful wow .i bet ronnie wishes this was never nicked wow

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 13, 2010 00:52

Does anyone else own any of the z guitars?

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: May 16, 2010 14:27

1981 Zemaitis Macabre up for sale. Big bucks, though nice to have a look at.

1981 Zemaitis Macabre

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 16, 2010 14:58

The Greek
with sssoul
Ronnie's pearlfront Zemaitis, which was apparently stolen during the New Barbarians tour:

- Chicago apr 30 1979, by Henry Diltz, courtesy of Mathijs
this pearlfront Zemaitis is the most beautiful Zemaitis ever made in my opionion.stunningly beautiful wow .i bet ronnie wishes this was never nicked wow
The Greek..So what sort of money would that of been insured for?

Date: August 18, 2010 03:40

bump

HMN

Date: August 19, 2010 01:56

Bump

HMN

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1614
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home