Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Long time lurker need to say something about 1978 tour
Posted by: jaggerwrotebs ()
Date: June 20, 2006 19:55

I am tired of people who were not there praising the 1978 tour. I was at the capitol and jfk I can tell you it blew. The playing was beyond sloppy. Mick looked like an jogging in place in plastic pants and too much makeup. Keith and Ronnie played like drunks and the back up vocals stunk. Those show were no where near the same league as 1972 and 1969. 1981 was not much better. The best tour since that time was steel wheels and vl. Licks and this tour suffer from keith missing intros. I love the band and the music, but 1978 was like watching someone throw up.

Re: Long time lurker need to say something about 1978 tour
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 20, 2006 19:57

Vomit-watching has been a long-treasured pasttime of mine (apparently).

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:01

I saw the 78 tour in Philly at JFK Stadium and the show was so bad that people booed. I believe Jagger was sick with the flu. His voice was terrible and the rest of the band was out of key for most of the show. I believe there were sound problems as well with the PA.

I do like the 78 boots from Memphis, New Jersey, Ft. Worth...most of Handsome Girls is really quite good. The sloppy Chuck Berry numbers were fantastic. I also like Hound Dog and most of the Some Girls material.

78 is a keeper. Just forget about that awful Philly tour stop!

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:02

Luckily, my Handsome Girls boots didn't capture the vomiting part. They sound pretty damn good.

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:03

Have to say I agree with ya. I've seen them each time since '72 (the '78 show in Buffalo) and that show was a disappointment, to say the least. I think they played about 70 minutes, and it was pretty much crap. I recall feeling cheated at the time.

I know there were some good moments, maybe even whole shows that tour, but the one I saw STUNK!!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:05

Sloppy but it rocked! Would love to go back in Rolling Stones time machine.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:08

Don't you get that 75 and 78 was a rollercoaster tour? Some bad shows, and some awesome shows.
But the bad ones, were still really cool.
I wasn't at Capitol Theatre 78. I should have had your seat.
A post at HotStuff some weeks ago...one person saw them at Passaic, and it was the best 2 hours of his life. Perhaps you were at the Stones-tribute-gig the same night in Passaic78?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:13

yeah, I wasnt there, I was born in 79. but that doesnt mean I cant have an opinion on the tours. I'll praise them all I want, I dont care.

Erik anyone who said they were at the capitol and it was great wasn't there and is lying
Date: June 20, 2006 20:13

Among the low lights of that night were beast of burden and love in vain.

rynpow how can you have an opinion if you weren't there
Date: June 20, 2006 20:15

You can't judge something you didn't see,

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:19

Also don't forget that "sloppy" was the response to the Sex Pistols/punks/media/NME/MelodyMaker etc. who thought the Stones had become too corporate and too safe and predictable.

78 did rock in a sloppy garage band way...

Re: rynpow how can you have an opinion if you weren't there
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:20

jaggerwrotebs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can't judge something you didn't see,

So you can't judge GYYYO from Jagger solo tour 88 then? They're just a mystery to you?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:31

I dunno what the fuss is all about......in 1978 they blew every one away...........everyone thought they were hasbeens.........pissed on by the press as dinosaurs..........dead on arrival....they not only put out some Girls............but they performed 85% of it each night out.............how's that for in your face arrogance and confidence............Mick was so out of control on that tour that he kept blowing his voice.........Richards was thrilled just to be anywhere given his arrest for heroin..he was on fire........
How do you say E P I C performance on Saturday Night Live........how do you begin to describe their over the top performance at the Palladium on 14th Street in NYC that year..........it was lunacy..................and undeniably a lifetime experience.......I had a great time.........I was completely shattered like most others lucky enough to experience that jauggernaut

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home