Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The who live at leeds 2
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 18, 2006 23:17

Was anyone at this show? I have read reviews and people said it was hot (both weather and the band). I was wondering if anyone else who was there felt the same way?

Re: OT: The who live at leeds 2
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 18, 2006 23:20

Hi All,
Right here goes with some sleep-deprived ramblings...

Gotta say I was very pleasantly surprised/astounded with how well they played last night...even better than I remember the 2nd Forum show in 2004,and I listened to that driving to Leeds.

The unveiling ceremony (of The Blue Plaque) was quite affecting-they seemed genuinely appreciative of it.I just wish I hadn't turned-up so f**king early!
Saw Mr. Bobby Pridden lurking in the doorway and got a wave from the old scrote,which was nice!

Hanging around pre-show outside the Students Union destroying some Magners cider I saw Marc Riley (aka Lard-friendly chap) and The Kaiser Chefs who blanked my 'Good Evening Chaps' salutation.Tools.And one of them was wearing some below-par millinery to attempt to cover-up premature slap-headedness in vain.Anyway I believe after seeing the show they announced their retirement.They plan to open a chain of hat shops,apparently.

I haven't sweated so much since the last Who soiree-it was mental up near the front,but believe it or not,once the show started the VIP punters upstairs were looking on enviously at the fun down below.At least that's what I tell myself!

PT is in fine form,musically and temperamentally-much banter and swearing..."We're gonna take a breather,'cos this is heart-attack material up here!...And I ain't gonna be the c**t who has it...it'll be one of you poor f**kers down there!".I hope it made JAE smile too.

Pleased overall with the setlist-could do without Who Are You opening and a couple of others but loved Naked Eye,Let's See Action,The Seeker etc. and the inevitable Tommy stuff went down a storm too.The new stuff was wisely placed and kept to a sensible amount ie not rammed down yer throat!
I hope they keep rotating material to keep it fresh and as interesting as possible for everyone concerned.

I couldn't help thinking "Would the show miss Rabbit's keyboards" and why oh why oh why does Rog still persist in breaking the cardinal rule regarding lead singers and guitars?They've got the excellent Townshend Jr. for Heaven's sake!

You'll be glad to hear (if you're still with me) that my review is over.I only hope you enjoy them as much as I did...one of those shows where everyone leaves with a dopey,disbelieving grin on their face!
All the best and roll-on Liverpool!
Si.

ps I would also applaud the band for trying to do some good with this trek they've embarked upon-the target sum of $10 million for good causes (almost said charity,there) like Teenage Cancer Trust.

I also applaud the crew handing out bottled water to those of us down the front-much appreciated!Just glad they didn't play 'Water' though!

I did take a few half-assed photos but the feckers are too large to get on here.
Count yerselves lucky...

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: June 19, 2006 00:17

For 99 cents (going to charity) The Who are webcasting 3 songs from each show live.

Last night( Leeds) was the first three in the set..........Who Are You, Can`t Explain and The Seeker.

Tonight (Brighton)........Baba O`Riley, Drowned and Behind Blue Eyes.

Would Stones fans like them to do a similar thing?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 19, 2006 01:12

of course!

Nice review, Simon - what were the new songs like?

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 19, 2006 02:11

Thanks for the review! I'd like to hear more about the new songs as well.

I've been looking around the web for reviews, the only one I found is this one, unfortunately it only talks a bit about the show (most of it is about their historic return to Leeds): [www.timesonline.co.uk]

Also, here's the setlist from Townshend's website: [www.petetownshend.co.uk]

Any more reviews or links to reviews would be welcome!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 19, 2006 04:12

I didn't go to Leeds, alas, but I did go to Brighton. Great show. Main frontman Pete played brilliantly, with plenty of arm circling and several of those characteristic jumps of his and Roger's voice sounded strong, though he did seemingly avoid any attempt to hit the higher notes. Zak Starkey was v. impressive on drums - not quite as energetic as Mr. Moon but getting there. About one third of the show was new material - 6 or 7 songs and they sounded pretty good overall on first hearing so I suspect I'll be getting them via the download. Then it hotted up with magic like Baba O'Reilly, Pinball Wizard, Listening to You and Won't Get Fooled Again. Much more exciting than Mr. Clapton the other week, IMHO. And it was a packed house (though I only got tickets about noon on the day of the show - they suddenly appeared on Ticketmaster). Made the mistake of buying the programme, which I found to be disappointing apart from one v. good photo of a young Pete and Roger. A lot of the other photos look too similar and too staged.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: June 19, 2006 04:20

tanks 4 review , USA October , can't explain , i mean wait
i hear dis is a new revised edition of da band & der callin demselves ' DA WHO '

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 19, 2006 04:21

they better come to the states. No matter what can't top house of blues show the year before Entwistle died.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 19, 2006 04:30

Don't worry, they will be going to the US:

[www.petetownshend.co.uk]

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 19, 2006 04:33

thanx beast!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home