Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1964-1966 were the best stones !
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 18, 2006 18:14

The Stones were at their most prolific with their singles in the 1964-66 era although i think 1965-67 is probably even more applicable. Their singles at this point were both more prolific (averaging three singles a year) and a higher quality (aside from maybe the three singles released 68-71) than in any other period of their career. Their reputation was founded on songs like 'Satisfaction' and 'Get Off Of My Cloud'and those in addition to 'Nineteen Nervous Breakdown', 'Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby' contain a level of raw energy and abandonment which is lacking somewhat in the more sophisticated and cleaner produced 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' and 'Brown Sugar'. These later songs are certainly not inferior but there's something to be said for the Stones sound when they sounded as though at any moment they were dangerously careering out of control.

However consistency where albums are concerned has never been the Stones strong point apart from the Beggar's- Exile era. Even a great album like 'Aftermath'despite its diverse sound is rather uneven where the quality of the songs are concerned.

The Stones were undoubtedly more diverse in the earlier era though and'Paint It Black', 'Lady Jane', Yesterday's Paper's', 'Under My Thumb'etc. adds a significant richness and range to their legacy.

I think if your taste (like JumpinKentFlash i suspect) is for more sophisticated Blues-Rock the Beggar's to Exile period will always hold the most appeal but for music with a little more colour and diversity (although by no means as consistent) the earlier period will also hold a special place at least in my heart.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: June 19, 2006 13:17

As a major Brian Jones fan, I gladly and proudly admit that my favourite Stones era is the sixties! They are raw and rough, close to their roots and Brian gives the music a special flavour with his abilities of bringing in unexpected instruments and sounds! No matter how much I love their other stuff, their sixties tunes give me most pleasure. Might also have to do with the fact that it was the material I started to listen to first, due to my Dad´s tapes and albums. I had to buy a new Aftermath vinyl album, as his was so scratched after all the years of listening to it. :-)

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 19, 2006 13:34

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They were good in the beginning, but it's almost
> pure crap compared to the stuff from 1968-1972.

Pure crap? Please! What has always fascinated me about the early period till 1968 his the variety of styles they tried and the early blues numbers with lots of harmonica (I could still imagine an intimate gig with only material from that period which would be brillant). . All the great recordings from the golden period 1968 through 1972 would not have been possible without the magnificient creativity of the early years. And do not forget that the recording technique improved considerably during the 1960s.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: June 19, 2006 14:03

saltoftheearth Wrote:
---------------- And do
> not forget that the recording technique improved
> considerably during the 1960s.

Two words: JIMMY MILLER!!!!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 19, 2006 15:22

It was not only the new producer but also improved studio technique. Look only at the multi-track recording systems, better microphones, better mixers... Without question Jimmy Miller was brillant but he also took advantage of that technical progress.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home