Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones as a jam band
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 15, 2006 21:00

I'd love to hear more jams. they do it and probably love it, why not have more of the element of improvisation, and stretch out a little.
good for everybody, Mick can go on a harp solo, he's good at that.

Re: Stones as a jam band
Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 15, 2006 21:07

Midnight Rambler and CYHMK certainly are the greatest jam live songs!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: June 15, 2006 21:21

We don't get enough of the jamming, that is for sure. Everything is so planned out. Would love to see rehersals or any place they were just winging it.
MR is the one regular jam but any other improvisation is just for a few seconds.
The Stones could be the greatest jam band in the world!

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: June 15, 2006 21:45

Yes and bring back Out of Control. That jam in the middle leading to the end is just fantastic!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 15, 2006 22:37

I think Mick said it best, probably speaking on behalf of the band when he said he just "didn't have that much jam."

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 15, 2006 22:42

rrronnie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes and bring back Out of Control. That jam in the
> middle leading to the end is just fantastic!

Totally Agree.

I was just going to post this verbateum.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: June 15, 2006 22:47

MR was always strictly tripartate and therefore never a real jam in my book. Hampton's Imagination reaching the ten minute mark was the only real live jam the Stones ever did IMVHO.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 15, 2006 23:07

T&A Wrote:
I think Mick said it best, probably speaking on behalf of the band when he said he just "didn't have that much jam."

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Case closed.

"With a name like Fluckers, it's got to be good jam"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-15 23:12 by CindyC.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 15, 2006 23:11

More jamming would be nice. It would probably mess up the perfectly synched light cues, which I think would actually be a good thing. Less Vegas, more rock 'n' roll!

Date: June 15, 2006 23:13

Yeah onnya, besides the lighting, Mick would miss all of his dance queues.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 15, 2006 23:21

"Hampton's Imagination reaching the ten minute mark was the only real live jam the Stones ever did IMVHO."

How long a song is doesn't make it a real jam. I would say that Stop Breakin Down on Exile is a good jam song yet its only 5 or so minutes. I think the Stones are at their best when jamming loosely.

And the lack of jamming is another reason why I hate today's stadium shows, because the lighting and timing of everything limits jamming. In areans they still become slaves to the lighting and all that but not as much as the stadium shows. I wish they would just go out there, let it all hang out and play rock n roll without worrying about carmeras, special effects, lighting and all that.

Date: June 15, 2006 23:28

Hound Dog Wrote:
And the lack of jamming is another reason why I hate today's stadium shows, because the lighting and timing of everything limits jamming. In arena they still become slaves to the lighting and all that but not as much as the stadium shows. I wish they would just go out there, let it all hang out and play rock n roll without worrying about carmeras, special effects, lighting and all that.

Hound Dog, my sentiments EXACTLY! I have never been fortunate enough to see the Stones this way, and that's when they are at their best. It will be one thing I will regret if I don't get to experience that before I die.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 16, 2006 00:08

i thought the case was closed?

Date: June 16, 2006 00:09

yeah! we're talking about the essence of the Rolling Stones ..
that thing they do!

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: June 16, 2006 00:29

Hound Dog: it's not the length but the fact that it was spontaneous, took off and just escalated into this epic jam. The fact that it was by far the longest version of the tour merely testifies that.

But I agree with T&A. The Stones are masters of form and therefore BEYOND the jam.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-16 00:42 by Greg.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 16, 2006 02:30

Sway is a great example, they should let that song flow and take off. Let go of the reigns and play the f*ck out of that song! smiling smiley

Posted by: watts fan ()
Date: June 16, 2006 03:17

Bring back "Craw-Dad" or "Mona" for the B-stage! I'm sure they stretched out many '63 sets with 9 minute Bo Diddley jams. Something that trance-inducing might be best for a theater/club gig.

Date: June 16, 2006 06:55

watts fan--Hell yes!!!!!! you are right on. they can't do anything off the playbook I guess ...unless its at theater/club shows...

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 16, 2006 11:47

Another reason why this should be the last stadium tour!

Posted by: Hurriganes ()
Date: June 16, 2006 12:36

Yeah, there's so much great jamming by them on studiobootlegs it's a pity they don't do it live more. For example this excellent version of LRR could've been stretched easily to 10 min superb jam:

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 16, 2006 12:47

Thanks for that clip, Hurriganes, that was great! So cool to see these giants relax for a few minutes and crank out some superb blues. The last minute when Jagger plays the harp in som sort of duet with Clapton, great! A pity they edited the song heavily for Flashpoint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2056
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home