Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Spector/Keith duet
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 8, 2006 05:32

Has anyone heard Ronnie Spector's duet w/Keith on her new disk THE LAST OF THE ROCK STARS? From one review:

Ronnie and Keith do campy lover's chit-chat on Ike Turner's "Work Out Fine" ("You do the work, baby!" Keith hams).

Re: Ronnie Spector/Keith duet
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 8, 2006 06:10

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-09 02:55 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 8, 2006 06:21

Thanks!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 8, 2006 10:00

The track "All I Want" is killer.
Keith's licks on that lay to rest any allegation that Keith can't play as well as he used to.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 8, 2006 14:07

I bought the CD, and have only listened to it once. "All I want" was a little disappointing to me; a pleasant pop piece with a good guitar solo, but a little too anonymous for me (can't really say it sounds like Keith, frankly). Others obviously have different view.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 8, 2006 15:27

"Work Out Fine" is not a duet in the sense that "Make No Mistake" is a duet. Keith's vocals are very low-key. He doesn't say much (he doesn't sing at all) and what he does say is barely above a whisper. Buy it if you want to hear Ronnie Spector's new album, don't buy if you think you're getting another "Still a Fool" or "You Win Again" as Keith is very much the sideman on the track.

Date: June 8, 2006 15:37

"but a little too anonymous for me (can't really say it sounds like Keith, frankly). Others obviously have different view."

I know what you mean... but it's instantly recognisable as KR. He has a very unique way of bending a note, sort of half country and half blues [asside from the atrociously out of tune bending he's sometimes guilty of... when he's more interested in throwing shapes than playing guitar !]. It's as recognisable as EC's vibtaro.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 8, 2006 15:41

Spud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I know what you mean... but it's instantly
> recognisable as KR. He has a very unique way of
> bending a note, sort of half country and half
> blues . It's as recognisable as EC's vibtaro.

Now that you mention it, you're right. His bending has gotten a little out of hand on a few of the ONNYA performances on this tour, if you've listened to the boots.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 8, 2006 20:07

I like the album, and Ronnie deserves any break she can get. It's fun, soulful sexy, and wears the sort of heart it's rare to hear these days.

Date: June 8, 2006 21:30

Quite so.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 8, 2006 21:38

Spud, I like that phrase "....throwing shapes" - it's a part of what he does, part genius-as-incompetent, part provocation to the band I guess.

Date: June 8, 2006 21:56

It's just Keith.

I can't remember who the interview was with [it's bugging me ;^) ] but one prominant player said

"... if anybody wanted confirmation of Keith Richards' greatness...all they had to do was ask themeslves who else could get away with what he plays !"

It was meant as a compliment... and I think it nails what Keith's all about.
There's little thought, and no time for musical niceties...it's pure instinct and attitude.
Not everybody's idea of a guitar player...but he'll do for me !

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: June 8, 2006 23:37

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spud Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I know what you mean... but it's instantly
> > recognisable as KR. He has a very unique way of
> > bending a note, sort of half country and half
> > blues . It's as recognisable as EC's vibtaro.
>
> Now that you mention it, you're right. His
> bending has gotten a little out of hand on a few
> of the ONNYA performances on this tour, if you've
> listened to the boots.

...was just wondering...anyone noticed the shape of his fingers these last years? They pretty much look like a man with arthritis (don't kill me if I got the spelling wrong..I'm only Danish)...don't you think THAT has got something to do with his ability to hit the right notes/shapes/bends....whatever...;-) He's always been throwing shapes onstage..it's just that in the studio they give you one more chance..and then another? ;-)

I mean...Chuck's duckwalk ain't what it used to be either? ;-)

Keef plays cuz he loves it...that's why I love the man...that's why I love most of the Stones (Mick - well...I respect the man) and playing one of their masterpieces while writing this (hey..even a gay friend of mine dances when he hears Rain Fall Down) ABB!!!

Get your various acts together!! ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-08 23:38 by mofur.

Date: June 9, 2006 02:06

I don't think the arthritis is a huge issue to be honest.
The nature of it is to come and go...and I'm sure it troubles him more at some times than others.
I have a friend who suffers quite badly [probably worse than Keith] with same thing. He says that it's more of an annoyance than a real handicap to his playing. Mild pain killers, exercise and the adreneline of performance overcome the effects for him...despite the fact that some days he can hardly hold a pen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home