Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: List of Billy Preston Contributions to the Stones
Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: July 21, 2017 09:43

First time live with the Stones..May 20, 1965 'Down The Road Apiece" on Shindig.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 21, 2017 10:12

VideoJames
First time live with the Stones..May 20, 1965 'Down The Road Apiece" on Shindig.

He did not appear with the Stones, but before the Stones. And the track was not live except for Jagger.

Mathijs

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: July 21, 2017 12:23

Mathijs
VideoJames

He did not appear with the Stones, but before the Stones. And the track was not live except for Jagger.

Mathijs

Correct, but Preston had told me and has said in old interviews he played with the Stones on Shindig or back in 1965. Maybe they rehearsed it, than decided not to use it? Or maybe it was another song altogether just done at rehearsals. I have a few songs the Stones did for Shindig but never used (none with Preston). Preston never said to me what song he performed with the band, I assumed he was talking about D.T.R.A.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 21, 2017 12:58

I am a big fan and would love to have been witness to his time with the Glimmers in 75 .To me one of the all time best with the Hammond B3 and anything else he touched or sang on and I have always loved his tunes .

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: July 21, 2017 13:43

Great fills on Wild Horses LA Friday.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 21, 2017 13:47

LA FORUM
Yup, he had a great voice. Best back up singer to be with the Stones. Listen to the flatbedtruck 1975 take on Brown Sugar. He lifts the song. No not the one on 25x5, the original. Great rocking voice not totally unlike Keiths.

Is the 25x5 Version not the original audio?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 21, 2017 16:43

jacopo
> the only musician to play with both The Beatles
> (rooftop concert) and the Stones

also Clapton...

He was the first musician to have recorded and played with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Clapton did it after.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: July 21, 2017 17:55

GasLightStreet
jacopo

also Clapton...

He was the first musician to have recorded and played with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Clapton did it after.

You mean that Clapton played live with the Beatles?!?

Nicky Hopkins recorded with both bands before Billy Preston, by the way.

N

Date: July 21, 2017 18:55

GasLightStreet
jacopo

also Clapton...

1968 and 1970. That would be recording with both bands before Billy did?

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: July 22, 2017 03:04

Billy Preston is the only musician to receive credit on a Beatles record

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 22, 2017 06:03

Nicky Hopkins played on Revolution

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: July 22, 2017 07:58

I'm not doubting his talent but I don't listen to the songs he did through '75 while Mick had a break. The lyrics to That's Life make me cringe but he added some great sounds to the Stones' tracks live.

Date: July 22, 2017 15:05

flairville
I'm not doubting his talent but I don't listen to the songs he did through '75 while Mick had a break. The lyrics to That's Life make me cringe but he added some great sounds to the Stones' tracks live.

can't recall - are those the tunes where Jagger daNCED the Bump with Billy, or did he leave the stage to do a line?

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: December 1, 2019 21:31

BUMP! (Just to remind everybody what a great musician Billy Preston was and how much his playing meant to the Rolling Stones.)

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: December 1, 2019 23:57

jacopo

also Clapton...

I think, Clapton only did a guitar overdub for the beatles. But at least he played with "Dirty Mac"

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: December 2, 2019 00:21

never really dug him w the stones but his psycho freak out organ on "i want you (she's so heavy)" was monstrously killer diller. esp on the outtake:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 2, 2019 00:28

T&A
I'll take the opposing view. Billy was the right guy at the right time and place for the Stones. 75/76 was a very funky time and nobody was funkier than Billy. The perfect foil for Jagger. I love his contributions to the live act on those tours....

Pretty much my sentiment. He was good for his era with the Stones. Nicky was great for his. The Stones were known for cream of the crop sidemen. Not now, but then. Singular artists with extraordinary talents. I love Billy's icicle piano on Hot Stuff and Hey Negrita. It really fit well into the short Disco Stones period of the mid-70s. And he's fantastic on I Got The Blues. They had the best piano players, Stu included. The best sax player and side horn men. They had the best bass player. They had it all. Those days are long, long in the past now.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 2, 2019 01:44

Billy also "inspired" Mick to write "Miss You" !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 2, 2019 09:34

gotdablouse
Billy also "inspired" Mick to write "Miss You" !

No, Mick wrote Miss You, but Wyman's bass line originated from an octaves bass line that Preston played.

Mathijs

Date: December 2, 2019 09:57

Billy seemed to bring some very good influence into the Stones camp. Some very good writing came from that.

His blaring synths on Live JJF and Brown Sugar on even Rambler were some of the worst sounds ever to inhabit a Stones song.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home