Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

June 17 1978 JFK show question
Posted by: dariog ()
Date: June 3, 2006 03:59

who went on after the stones i heard sombody did and who on this board threw stuff at the opening bands.

Re: June 17 1978 JFK show question
Date: June 3, 2006 04:00

ohhhhhhhh and i need to see more pics of this show the ones chippy had were great. thanks chippy.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 3, 2006 07:50

Dariog:

I've seen you post many times about this show. I'm always curious about your curiousity because it was my first Stones show. A fairly lousy show it was. Foreigner opened up, and they sucked, mostly because they were a talent-less band, with crappy songs. Even if you liked Foreigner (a freind with me did, and he thought they sucked), the sound system was rigged against them, and yes many people did throw things at them. I always liked Mick Jones, because I was, and am, a huge Mott fan, but Foreigner was shite that day, and always will be in my mind. Stones fans seriously pelted them.

Was there a band after the Stones? If so, I wish I would have stayed, because perhaps then I could have heard some good musi. :-(

It misted rain most of the day, the seating was all general admission, I had a cold, a really bad hangover, and had no drugs except really cheap speed. We snorted that awful shite all day, which didn't help my hangover at all, and after all the rain put me in a really bad mood by the time the Stones came on. Their performance started fairly well, but apparently Mick was also sick (hopefully he had a much better grade of speed) and the guitar section really seemed to be struggling. The Some Girls part of the set was very lackluster, and the warhorses seemed to me to be played on auto-pilot. It was a hell of a long day, and I was glad when we started home. Bad trip, in my book (we drove 4 hours to catch this monstrositY).

About three weeks later I caught a similarly bad show in Cleveland (with a worse hangover from the night before in good old Akron), and have wondered ever since why I kept listening to these British @#$%&. I have often, on this board, heard my first two Stones concerts referred to as two of their worst shows ever. Can't much argue with those opinions. I saw Patti Smith not longer afterwards, and therein realized the great emotional high that rock n roll can provide.

Anyway, I have boots from both of these shows (Cleveland is just the SG tunes). If you have interest in hearing the world's greatest rnr band butcher their catalog, let me know, can burn. Email me.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the speed left, but you could probably buy some Vivarfin OTC, to replicate my buzz. Your nose will hurt a lot and you might just lose some weight in the process.

:-D

Karl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-03 07:51 by KSIE.

Date: June 3, 2006 13:32

i havw heard both . iwould love to hear the mrytel beach show never heard a review on this show.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 3, 2006 15:52

Why this ongoing fascination with this one godawful show? Of course no one went on after the Stones. That probably hasn't happened since the Beatles went on after them at the NME pollwinners concert, 1 May 1966.

Date: June 3, 2006 15:58

need more 78 pictures............. thank you

Date: June 3, 2006 16:00

it will be 28 years since the june 17 1978 show somebody has to have some film to share or more pics

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: June 3, 2006 16:35

I was also at the JFK Philly show in 78. It was not as bad as the legend would make you think but there were a lot of things that worked against the situation to make it an unpleasent experience for many. For reference, I've been to over 80 shows and that one was about my 10th. For me, the worst show ever was the first night at Atlantic City in 1989, basically an open rehearsal for the pay-per-view show which occurred a couple days later and was excellent.

Anyway, as noted above, the weather was cold and rainy. It seemed to take for ever for the Stones to go on. The crowd was stoned and drunk. Remember that Philly has a reputation for not tolerating a sub-par performance as it's sports teams well know. When they finally did come on, they played a much shorter set than anyone expected, given that their last Philly shows were the fairly long 75 lotus stage sets. This was the first out door stadium show ever in Philly and people expected more of a production. Instead they zoomed though a set of hits on a bare stage (no video screen in those days) with a huge block of Some Girls songs that most people barely knew because the album had only been released the week before. Mick was sick and his voice faltered at times. However, they did play an encore of Satisfaction which at that time was considered a rare treat.

I climbed about 10 feet up on the scafolding for the mixing board and heard excellent sound. Friends with me remarked how good they sounded but complained about the shortness of the show. People in the mud and debris up front were still pretty drunk and rowdy at the end and began throwing their lawnchairs, styrofoam coolers and empty bottles at the stage when they realized they'd waited all day to see a 90 minute show with an unsatisfying setlist. The legend grew from there.l

We in Phlly always felt that they were really trying to make it up to us when they opend the 81 tour at JFK with two very long setlists of rareties, warhorses, and Tattoo You songs. They've done greast shows in Philly ever since.

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: June 3, 2006 17:18

The first night in Atlantic City did suck. I guess that's when they gave out all the "comps" to high rollers. People were sitting down, and waitresses were bringing them drinks! I went to the last row in the balcony and went nuts, but my buddy & I were perhaps the only ones. The pay per view show was great, and the 3rd show was mind-blowingly good!!!
Philly was rather dismal that day. F*ck JFK Stadium. I'm so glad they tore it down.

Date: June 3, 2006 17:42

Wayne- are we neighbors? I live off radnor chester road.

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 3, 2006 18:25

Cleveland '78 was worse. It to have been. NOTHING could have been worse than the Stones, in the rain, with special guests Peter Tosh and KANSAS, than Cleveland '78.

Date: June 3, 2006 18:40

ok now how about mrytel beach show was it any good and how about the sc show june 22 1978 i think

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: June 3, 2006 19:35

Foreiner was the opening act at that show. I don't recall anyone going on after the Stones.

Date: June 3, 2006 19:56

Sam, were you at the MB show? For some reason my records show Tosh as the only opener, which would make sense since it was an indoor arena (I think) and did not need a more famous opener.

I never heard of any act going on after the Stones since the 60's

Probably a good idea to start a separate Myrtle Beach thread if we want more posters to weigh in.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 3, 2006 19:57

HouseBoyKnows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, they did play an encore of
> Satisfaction which at that time was considered a
> rare treat.

Satisfaction was not performed as an encore. It was performed mid-set, at what might be called the "top of the stretch" (to use a horse racing metaphor), which on this day consisted of Satisfaction, Sweet Little Sixteen, Tumbling Dice, Happy, Brown Sugar, and Jumping Jack Flash. JJF was the set closer. There was no encore, which is why the crowd got ugly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-03 20:05 by tatters.

Date: June 3, 2006 20:38

Tatters is right. A rare Satisfaction was mid-set. The lack of encore was the main trigger for trashing the stage. My memory motel is missing some rooms.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: June 3, 2006 21:08

I'm listoning to my boot LP of this show, and while it's certainly not nearly as "tight" as Passaic and the Handsome Girls shows, I don't find it nearly as aweful as some of you do. Admittedly, i wasn't there and I rarely find much NOT to like when it comes to the stones.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: June 3, 2006 21:48

dr pete i was at that show and can tell you that the show was incredible.95 min,but high voltage,for those interested peter tosh opened,then foreigner,then the stones.sound was great all day.

john scialfa

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: June 3, 2006 22:01

Great to hear it! The audie is an exciting liston! Mick doesn't sound ill and the band is rough and ready (the way I like them). Love the intros " We have Stu, Mac from the Small faces, and you all know the rest."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home