Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wyman/Watts and Stones promo videos...
Posted by: Local27 ()
Date: May 30, 2006 15:53

I just watched the promo video for 'Worried About You' for the 785th time. As I was watching, I got to thinking about how uninterested Bill and Charlie seem to be during the recording of these videos. Yes, they're rock and rollers who probably have a list a mile long of things they'd rather be doing. Think about it...look at them in the promo video's for Start Me Up, Hang Fire, Neighbors, She's So Cold, Far Away Eyes, Angie, Waiting on a Friend, and as previously mentioned, Worried About You....among many others throughout their career. Yes, everyone is out of sync with the music. But I've read that Keith always used to bitch about having to do promo videos as well. And there he is looking at least halfway interested. Then the camera pans to Wyman or Watts and they have this look on their face that says, "What the hell are we doing here?". Ummmm....you're promoting an album that just took you months...if not years to create and you're selling it to the entire world. Have a little pride.

All this being said, I'm a huge fan of all the original Stones (this includes Ron). I'm so thankful I got to see all five Stones play together before Bill left. I was just thinking about the attitudes of the Stones as I watched a couple of these videos this morning. I've been a life long fan (33 years old) and have always felt this way. Haven't spoken about it until now. I guess I'm just curious as to what some of you think out here in the forums.

Any thoughts?

"I'm the bleeding volcano"

Re: Wyman/Watts and Stones promo videos...
Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 30, 2006 21:24

Local, those bored looks are part of what make those guys great, from 1962 on. If you want them to be making rock and roll faces or thrashing their heads, you might have the wrong band...

You're also talking about a specific period of video-making, when doing them was becoming part of the pop music promo routine, yet the ambitions for each video were going down. Who was doing concept videos at this point besides bowie? The lo-fi aspect of these stones videos is again part of their coolness. If they had taken the videos more seriously, we would all be embarrassed, I think. The "Undercover" video goes in a different direction, yet the stones' "performances" are still aloof in an appealing way. By Dirty Work, they had lost their knack for this sort of thing... I'm not sure why.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: May 30, 2006 23:17

Charlie and Wyman don't fit at the rock'n'roll image at all.On the other hand Keith and Mick created that image.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 31, 2006 08:02

Well, when they're actually given something to *do* they perk up. Consider "She Was Hot".

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 31, 2006 18:00

Imgine five band members as extroverted as Mick and it would be the full catastrophy! Every band has different characters to make the chemistry work. And since Bill has published his memoirs we know that those silent people obviously attract more girls than the extroverted, wild superstars.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home