Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
reason for buying emotional rescue
Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:07

Ok I have to own up I'm a diehard Stones fan but dont have this in my collection. People keep telling me there are some good tracks on this album but in truth I could'nt stand this album when it was released. Can anyone out there convince me to buy this and give it another listen.

Re: reason for buying emotional rescue
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:16

The best reason is probably to buy it if you want to have all studio albums. IMO ER is perhaps the weekest Stones-album through the years.
But others, of course, may have another opinion.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:17

What a lot of people say about Emotional Rescue is that it's not good - I guess in a way, that's true. Depending on where you're from, I'd say get it now - it's a rough and tumble number that doesn't always hit its mark but nonetheless has some worthy numbers that are just fun to have going on in the background. Yes, it feels like disco's last swan song at times, but tracks like "Where The Boys Go," "Summer Romance," "Let Me Go," and "She's So Cold," are worthy numbers to mention. Hell, if you feel like dancing in front of your mirror in the morning, "Dance (Pt. 1)" is your number. It's more a background album than anything, but definitely worth it. Hey, you could do worse.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:20

I love Emotional Rescue. Dance Part 1, Summer Romance, Let Me Go, Emotional Rescue, SHE'S SO COLD, All About You... so many great tunes on the album. You can play this record anywhere at anytime. Works good at a party if you skip past Indian Girl. Thats the ONLY shitty song on the album, and it is indeed shitty.

Its better than a great many other Stones albums which people view in higher regard. IE: Black n Blue, Undercover, Steel Wheels, IORR, etc...

-Drake

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:25

A good reason for buying Emotional Rescue, is to take a stand against this bashing of the mean, awesome rocker Where The Boys Go.

Date: May 21, 2006 23:27

I felt the same way, John, in them "old" days. But first of all the remixed cd from Virgin gives a much better sound. Then I would say that ER includes one of the best Stones-bluesy songs, "Down in the Hole". "Let me go" and "She's so cold" are after all archetype Stones-classics. The title-song has become a favourite as well. Even though the lyrics may still be regarded as.....well to be positive: "a bit ironic". The music however is amazing. It's swinging like hell. "All about you" is indeed very beautiful. "Summer Romance" and "Where the boys go" are above average. "Dance pt 1", "Send it to me", and "Indian Girl" all have their own nice qualities, though these songs are not exactly among the main reasons for having changed my view of the whole album. I still rate quite low among Stones-albums. But without it I would feel....a bit lost : ) The cover is however still awful imo. - Cheers, Halling

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:30

It gets compared to SG, just as GHS suffers from comparisons with Exile.

I think Keith and Ronnie have some good stuff going on tracks like Dance, She's So Cold, Down In the Hole and Send It to Me.

I love Bills playing on many tracks, esp She's So Cold and (watit for it...) Indian Girl.

I think the weakest numbers are the obvious ones like Boys Go and Summer Romance. I think they perfected the art of understatement on many tracks .......and that's what turns many people off perhaps, off but it's why I find it so interesting and cool. Restrained guitars and restraint in Jagger's voice, eg in LMG and SSC.

I think it's a far better work than the more "obvious" Tattoo You. At least it was all contemporary material and not a seventies' out-takes compilation, (yes, good out-takes admittedly).

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:33

All About You is plenty of reason to buy ER.
the rest of it ... it's still the Stones album i listen to least,
but the time and effort i've put into learning to love it have been quite fruitful.

Keith, be well - all the way, baby, all the way

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:36

ER has some good moments, you probably can buy it for an acceptable price, in my oppinion it is one of the weaker albums, but the title track for example has a groove only the Stones can give you!

Date: May 21, 2006 23:39

9 songs from Emotional Rescue has now been mentioned as "the good ones on the album". And if nikkibong was here, he'd mention Indian Girl, as the 10th song.
That's a good reason for buying the album, or give it another listen tonight, for us others.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:43

i can mention Indian Girl, in Nikkibong's absence! i don't mind it. :E
here's a recent episode in my ongoing Learning to Love ER Education: [iorr.org]
lots of good observations in that one ... and as (i think it was) Rooster once said:
it may be a mediocre album, but it's the greatest freakin mediocre album ever made!
it's the Rolling Stones. :E

Keith, be well - all the way, baby, all the way

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:43

ER is one of my favorite Stones albums. I love every tune on it, even Indian Girl, which everybody seems to hate. I love the songs on this album, but I also love thhe mix. The drums sound is just fantastic, timeless... and Micks voice is mixed lower than it is in every album hereafter. I think ER follows up Some Girls really nicely, a bit of a harder edge, but still really smart rock and roll. I think a lot of folks consider it "weak" because it has some disco on it, and many rock and roll fans detest disco... BUT... what is disco? Beat-heavy, melodic, post-funk-- Even when I hated disco, I loved the title track of this album. Do not let the "blues/rock only" camp keep you from owning this record... it is one of the Stones best albums, has a great feel. It really is one of the last of their albums when they were still a BAND, and Mick's voice was just an instrument in the band.

This is essential for all Stones fans, this album. One of the tracks is bound to become one of your top ten Stones songs ever!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 21, 2006 23:58

Let Me Go and Indian Girl

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: May 22, 2006 00:03

I love that record.

Trashy and tossed-off, it's excellent as warm weather party music. The title track, "She's So Cold" and "All About You" are incredible and the rest is fun, attitude-heavy Rolling Stones.

The only tune I don't like is "Where The Boys Go."

I even like the cover art. A great move out of the 1970's...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 22, 2006 00:08

because it's good

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: May 22, 2006 00:19

I love it. Stones 've never been as nostalgic as many of their fans. That album was just too in advance just like bridges and almost of all their music..(Abb). I love ER. It's just music with the best singer, drummer, and a guitar work fantastic. Run John, run to buy it. Wyman is great, but is old in his head nowadays indeed.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 22, 2006 00:37

for one thing everything on it is really catchy, and Its just good music.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: May 22, 2006 00:45

There was just a thread a few weeks ago where we ER supporters thoroughly explained why this album was at least in the upper half of Stones studio albums.
Check out the other thread and give ER a listen!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 22, 2006 00:46

dance is a great starter
keith choose the same kind of opener for his solo masterpiece
then you have a bunch of funny flat rock and rollers
a stunning chicago blues
a dance single that should substitute some time the ole miss you live
a cracking reggae
an awesome ballad to go

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 22, 2006 00:47

down in the hole
down in the hole
down in the hole
down in the hole

apart from the live shows, live cds and b-sides thru the years since some girls, this track is in a class all by itself as a bluesy masterpiece. the intro harp and drums and guitar alone send shivers.

if you track down an vinyl version, they used to come with this bizarre thermo-photography poster.

finish your collection if you've got all the others.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 22, 2006 00:52

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 9 songs from Emotional Rescue has now been
> mentioned as "the good ones on the album". And if
> nikkibong was here, he'd mention Indian Girl, as
> the 10th song.
> That's a good reason for buying the album, or give
> it another listen tonight, for us others.

buy it because of indian girl.

oh yeah, and for the other 9 songs on it. not a weak track on the mother!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 22, 2006 01:24

Shes so cold is good, LEt me go is good and All about you is good. And Emotional R. But its a weak album, maybe the weakest although I rather listen to ER than Dirty work. ER has a very nice production that I like so yes you should buy it. You will isten to it now and then. I never lsiten to Dirty work.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 22, 2006 01:26

LA FORUM Wrote:
But its a weak
> album, maybe the weakest

you're right, GHS may be the weakest. Oh wait, this is a thread about ER? Blasphemy!

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: May 22, 2006 02:42

Down In The Hole is the best I Think. Really like Let Me go, She's so Cold AllAbout You. ER & Dance are cool grown on me over Time. Rest are OK Decent album which I prefer to 2-3 others in catalogue MEZ

Date: May 22, 2006 02:53

I like Send It To Me for the most part as well as Down In The Hole & All About You.It's not a bad album at all.The where the girls all go backround vocals should have been skipped but,aside from that the track isn't that bad.This is one track that could actually benefit from a radio edit.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 22, 2006 03:47

john nicholls Wrote:
> Ok I have to own up I'm a diehard Stones fan but
> dont have this in my collection. People keep
> telling me there are some good tracks on this
> album but in truth I could'nt stand this album
> when it was released. Can anyone out there
> convince me to buy this and give it another
> listen.

If it had the price of a Ferrari I'd think about it - but I would still want it.

...and it's damn good to have

Let meeeeee go - baby wontya letme goho......

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: May 22, 2006 03:58

She's So Cold
Let Me Go
WHERE THE BOYS GO
Dance Pt. 1

There are 4 perfect reasons to buy itsmiling smiley.

Date: May 22, 2006 04:02

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
> She's So Cold
> Let Me Go
> WHERE THE BOYS GO
> Dance Pt. 1
>
> There are 4 perfect reasons to buy itsmiling smiley.

Thanx for using big letters for that awesome rocker, which wussies seems to hate. I'd like to include Down In The Hole to make your list a Emotional Super-list.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: May 22, 2006 04:23

i really like ER it was my 2nd stones album i bought
i like all the tracks on the album,the poster was good to

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: May 22, 2006 05:04

I remember when it came out it was a huge dissapointment for me. About the only two songs on it I like are All About You and INDIAN GIRL.

I don't have a clue how they could have put out such a weak album esp. with all the stuff that never made Some Girls.

GHS is a million times better than ER.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home