Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Peppers new CD sales figures
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 19, 2006 06:17

You guys see these numbers for the Chilli Peppers new CD??????........they are off the hook...........according to Soundscan US:

The streak of Rock albums dominating the SoundScan charts continues, with the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium debuting at #1 this week. The double album sold over 442,000 copies, their first ever #1 debut, as well as the highest number of first-week sales the California band has ever hit. Stadium Arcadium also debuted all around the world at the top of the charts, hitting the #1 position in 16 other countries. After one week, it has already gone platinum in nine countries and gold in eight.

Re: OT: Peppers new CD sales figures
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 19, 2006 06:29

According to Mediatraffic they sold over 1.1 million copies worldwide on week 1, an incredible number for a double studio album.

[www.mediatraffic.de]

Posted by: hi1 ()
Date: May 19, 2006 08:14

Some of their songs are not too bad... Perhaps, they could tour with the Boys if they ever tour Europe this ummer... Would be interesting to see both bands performing on the same stage....

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: May 19, 2006 09:06

Yeah well... there's a simple reason... Stadium Arcadium is an INCREDIBLE TAPE... even with the filler, even with the "light" songs... there's still 12 to 15 incredible-^%$# fantastic songs on that CD...

Who else is producing GREAT ORIGINAL MUSIC these days ???

And for what it's worth, yes don't be surprised if the first listen to this CD you sort of aren't sure... just the same as for their By the Way CD which was one of the greatest tapes ever released... but the first time through, it's the same for all Chili Peppers CD's... nobody sounds like them, they are 100% unique and you always have to give it a 2nd or 3rd serious listen...

Sounds like over a million people have done that in one week and bought the CD.

And the CD is just the Beginning, folks... the Red Hot Chili Peppers are hands-down one of the top 5 live bands who ever hit the stage... you absolutely do not want to miss this tour!!! I saw 'em 4 times on the last tour, and was just blown away every time...

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 19, 2006 09:17

I heard from several reviews that it was simply a bit too much on it. I haven't heard it so I couldn't say. I like Dani California though. Pure RHCP.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 19, 2006 11:54

[iorr.org]

[iorr.org]

Above are links to two threads where dye-hard Rolling Stones fans critique the latest from the Chili Peppers...

I found these links interesting because Stones fans don't easily "fall" for the band of the month... they insist on great music or nothing...

yet the vast majority of these Stones fans who had listened to the Chili Peppers latest seem to think it's an awesome new album.

Date: May 19, 2006 11:56

i think though if its a double cd if i buy 1 it counts as 2 sold because 2 cd's are in it. i'm pretty sure it works this way. thats normally how big expensive 4 cd box sets still make the charts.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 19, 2006 12:00

440,000 is not extraordinary or earth shattering, but it is their biggest first sales week ever. Pearl Jam were selling twice that at their peak w/new albums in the mid-90s, as have many other rock & hip hop & country artists...It is a vindication for the Peppers, tho whether it holds up over time I have no idea.
Also RHCP's first # 1 album in the Top 200 ever.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 19, 2006 12:04

its quite a figure when you consider its a double album, John plus the fact that in the era of downloading and filesharing, album sales in general would be significantly less than a decade ago

I think their last couple of studio albums each sold about 10-12 million worldwide (with #1s in several markets), so I'd imagine their sales will hold up quite favourably with this one. If anything, their fanbase has not only stayed loyal to them but has grown

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 19, 2006 12:21

Gazza, the fan base - whether it's the same one as 15 years ago (I think they're now a much better group) - is indeed growing...IMO the early albums 'til Blood Sugar just don't cut it...And the last couple have been their best imo.....The point about cd sales decline/dowloading etc is absolutely true, but I still think it may drop after the many fans get it in the first few weeks...It seems to be the pattern recently unless there's hit singles or lots of media exposure.

Date: May 19, 2006 16:30

I think that the units sold is incrdible considering the industry standard is now a 40 minute CD with 10 or 12 songs and a mandate to bring it in at $10.99 at retail.
The Peppers nearly tripled the music which almost doubled the cost of the CD..............but the driving force is the first single and video especially (which is great) and this CD easily has another 5 monster singles in it. A quality effort and a quality response....

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 19, 2006 16:44

its not that surprising. there are a lot of people in this world that don't know @#$%& all about music

they'll be the ones buying this dreaful cod-funk nonsense

its music for people that don't like music. this'll be the one 'non-greatest hits' album they'll buy this year

unless GNR ever release something new

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 19, 2006 16:45

its not that surprising. there are a lot of people in this world that don't know @#$%& all about music

they'll be the ones buying this dreadful cod-funk nonsense

its music for people that don't like music. this'll be the one 'non-greatest hits' album they'll buy this year

unless GNR ever release something new

Posted by: somesmerized ()
Date: May 19, 2006 19:01

Have you even listened to it ?

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: May 19, 2006 19:14

I hate peppers and that kind of stuff.I don't care at all for their new "achievement".

Date: May 19, 2006 20:01

You can hate them or their music as much as you want, these guys are GREAT musicians. They know the history and philosophy of music, they know how to make great songs, they are REAL INSPIRED musicians. Take a look as these guys' bios if you have any doubt about that. Their last album is one of the most inspired recording put out in a while. I mean a Bigger Bang is cool, it's a nice album and all, but when it comes to inspiration, it's a little short in my humble opinion. Compared to the last RHCP of course, everything is relative...

Anyways, saying their music "is for people that don't like music. this'll be the one 'non-greatest hits' album they'll buy this year
unless GNR ever release something new" is the funniest load of bullshit that I've read in a long long looooooooooooong time here. Thanks for that andy, your comment really made me laugh.

Cheers.

J-M

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-19 20:28 by somesmerized.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: May 19, 2006 20:46

how can you not like the chili peppers? these are crazy, funked out, white cali dudes who have a good time playing music...i have been with them since mother's milk...john f. can rip the frets off of a guitar and we all know about flea and chad as a tight rythmn section...just like the music because i am not looking for anything deep in it,just a good time...

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: May 19, 2006 20:58

IMHO, they are OK, but inspired, no way, my reaction to another Chili Peppers record is , YAWN.

Frusciante is totally overrated, then again there isnt much competition around.

You got to love Flea though, anyone who would go on stage in Finland naked in September is a brave man

Date: May 19, 2006 21:04

Overrated ? by who ?

Date: May 19, 2006 21:08

Peppers are at the top of their game and the sales of this record are gonna surprise people. It's not just that they are super musicians who happen to have a hit single and video.....this CD is record of the year.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: May 19, 2006 22:14

I have heard californication and since then I hate me.What kind of stupid style is that?I don't care how good musicians they are.They are just not what I like.

Date: May 19, 2006 23:41

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its quite a figure when you consider its a double
> album, John plus the fact that in the era of
> downloading and filesharing, album sales in
> general would be significantly less than a decade
> ago

Exactly... no band is selling CD's at the same levels they did in the 90's. There are too many other ways to obtain the songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-19 23:42 by BornOnTheBayou.

Date: May 19, 2006 23:45

andy js Wrote:
> its not that surprising. there are a lot of people
> in this world that don't know @#$%& all about
> music
>
> they'll be the ones buying this dreaful cod-funk
> nonsense
>

Uhhh.... specifically which tunes on the album do you consider "cod-funk nonsense" ???

And while you're at it, please give your opinion of their last 2 CD's (By the Way and Californication), so we can have some idea of whether you're an RHCP hater or an "unbiased" reviewer of the songs.

Date: May 19, 2006 23:47

humanriff77 Wrote:
> IMHO, they are OK, but inspired, no way, my
> reaction to another Chili Peppers record is ,
> YAWN.
>
> Frusciante is totally overrated,

Uhhh... let's see... do you consider his jazz guitar work on Hey to be over-rated or his rock guitar work on 21st Century to be over-rated ?

Which songs in particular do you think his guitar work is so "over-rated" ???

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 19, 2006 23:58

I'm not a Peppers fan (anymore - it seems they are making the same record over and over again), but when he's in the right mood, Frusciante can still play some great guitar.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: May 20, 2006 00:48

My overrated comment relates to the fact that he's just not that interesting a guitar player,as the commercial music press make him out to be. Every review goes on about him being a "virtuoso" so they can tell a dramatic story that RHCP were nothing without him, where the truth is no one noticed when he wasnt there, and no one cared, it just made a good story afterwards.

His solo material for instance is totally uninteresting, by that I mean in comparison to Hendrix,Cosey,Verlaine,Frisell,Ulmer (and many others,who dumb journalist will compare him to). For me even the Strokes guitar player plays more interesting parts than John Frusciante.

I don't think RHCP are so interesting musically, they have their moments and they aren't bad, but its not exciting me. By the way the "cod funk" comment I think is unfair, they are a decent band and have more funk than most other white boy acts around these days, but be honest with yourself will you still be playing the new album in 6 months? more likely the cutout bins will be full.

One last point,i've been listening to this band since 1983, I got bored of them around 1989.

Date: May 20, 2006 02:06

humanriff77 Wrote:
> My overrated comment relates to the fact that he's
> just not that interesting a guitar player,as the
> commercial music press make him out to be. Every
> review goes on about him being a "virtuoso" so
> they can tell a dramatic story that RHCP were
> nothing without him, where the truth is no one
> noticed when he wasnt there, and no one cared, it
> just made a good story afterwards.
>
> His solo material for instance is totally
> uninteresting, by that I mean in comparison to
> Hendrix,Cosey,Verlaine,Frisell,Ulmer (and many
> others,who dumb journalist will compare him to).
> For me even the Strokes guitar player plays more
> interesting parts than John Frusciante.
>
> I don't think RHCP are so interesting musically,
> they have their moments and they aren't bad, but
> its not exciting me. By the way the "cod funk"
> comment I think is unfair, they are a decent band
> and have more funk than most other white boy acts
> around these days, but be honest with yourself
> will you still be playing the new album in 6
> months? more likely the cutout bins will be full.
>
> One last point,i've been listening to this band
> since 1983, I got bored of them around 1989.

bullocks

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: May 20, 2006 02:06

So mr.humanriff tells us what bands do you like theses days?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 20, 2006 02:29

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
> [iorr.org]-
> 426130
>
> [iorr.org]-
> 417091
>
> Above are links to two threads where dye-hard
> Rolling Stones fans critique the latest from the
> Chili Peppers...

so can this third one be the last? it's starting to be like ferrante in lower case.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: May 20, 2006 02:33

Stadium arcadium is a great album, listened to it a dozen times, try it >>

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1480
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home