Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Nikki Sudden - Rest In Peace
Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 28, 2006 08:59

Thomas Gunther from Berlin introduced me to Nikki several years ago when he played a gig here in SF...I saw him many times over the years when I visited Berlin...saw him London a few years back @ the Stones gig...he was supposed to phone me last week from NYC...I'm so sad about this....Peter Stupar...SF, Ca

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 28, 2006 10:28

condolences to his family and friends - sad news

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 28, 2006 10:53

i think he was involved with undercover because he stayed at their hotel in the bastille in paris last tour which ironically ended up being my hotel too. he also bummed a cigarette from me in front of the cirkus in stockholom (back when i smoked) - he definitely had style.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: March 28, 2006 11:14

A quick history lesson for some of you. Nikki Sudden and his brother Epic Soundtracks (also deceased) were a band called Swell Maps in the punk era. This is a very important band, their album "Trip to Marineville" is considered a classic in some circles and is extremely influential(as well as being just great music). Thought I would add that in respect of Nikki Sudden

For more go here

[www.furious.com]

Posted by: woemansland ()
Date: March 28, 2006 12:23

POST CANCELLED

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-17 23:32 by woemansland.

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: March 28, 2006 13:08

We met a couple of times during the Lix tour. He's one of those old true rock n rollers. Living for his music, and as far as I could picture him without knowing him that well: living day by day. Quoting Keith: "Never kept a dollar by sunset"

He also wrote some reviews for IORR magazine. One line I remember very well. On another great performance of Midnight Rambler, Nikki characterised it as 'the engine, the power, the glory!'. Great, isn't it?

I will miss him begging for a another cigarette...

Posted by: JK ()
Date: March 28, 2006 13:31

Nikki has written some articles to IORR magazines.
If I remember correct he wrote a 2003 European tour "diary".

Posted by: Martijn ()
Date: March 28, 2006 14:33

sad news!!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 28, 2006 15:15

He seemed a really decent guy.I went for a few beers with him and a few other guys after the Ronnie gig at Drury lane.Said he was off to Greece the next day to play with his band.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 28, 2006 15:28

Holy Shit! I can not believe it. This is sad news. I did several shows with him years ago. I will listen to Groove and Treasure Island now.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: March 28, 2006 15:38

he played three weeks ago in a club a hundred meters away from my house (hannover, germany). when i saw yesterday this terrible sad new, i couldn´t believe it. i was really looking forward to meet him again during the european leg of the bigger bang tour. we had spend many hours waiting for the gates to open. i think everbody who knows him will miss him honestly. rest in peace...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 28, 2006 15:39

Sad news indeed.

Nikki was the Salt Of The Earth. A great fan and a great friend. And a great performer and musician. I am glad I had the pleasure of seing Nikki performing, but I am sad he is not here anymore. The picture from the Stones show in Zürich is a great memory of Nikki - with his friends. Front row Stones show. Unfortunately he will not be able to see them performing this summer. One of his great dreams was to warm up for the Stones on his 50th birthday at the AWD-Arena (Niedersachsenstadion) in Hannover on July 19. We just have to be in memory of him on that day and on that show.

Nikki was a loyal writer and contributer to the IORR magazine. He was writing reviews and stories with great passion. During these days when we miss him sadly I would advice you all to read his stories and remember him as he was, a Stones fan and a performer with a great heart.

Rest in peace Nikki.

Bjornulf

Posted by: micawber K ()
Date: March 28, 2006 15:40

This is very very sad news. I rememeber standing next to Nikki and Linda at the Ronnie Wood Vicar Street gig 8th December 2001. Back then I didn't realise who he was but later I found out from someone that he was a great guitarist and I should check him out. I remember holding his place against the barrier while he went to the bathroom before the gig. He looked like one of the hippest cats in town that night and he had a big smile on his face and took loads of pictures on his camera. Can't say that I knew him or anything like that but my heart goes out to all his family and friends.

Rock on Nikki and God Bless

Posted by: ChrisTresper ()
Date: March 29, 2006 01:38

R.I.P. Nikki

It was a pleasure knowing you...

Chris Tresper

Date: March 29, 2006 03:23

I only heard the sad news today and I´m still totally shocked.

I also had the pleasure to meet him several times and can´t believe he´s gone.

Nikki represented and lived pure Rock`n Roll with all his passion.

I´m sure he will not be forgotten. R.I.P.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: March 29, 2006 05:38

I don't know Nikki, but it's obvious from the pure, and the honest and the 1st person respnses on this thread that he is held in very, very high esteem as a friend, a musician and and a Stones fan.

To all of his family (blood and extended), please accept my sincere and heartfelt condolences.

Rod
Perth

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 29, 2006 14:54

i was standing in the same line all day at the cancelled Amsterdam Arena concert during the Licks tour. I had no clue who he was but i thought he was silly because his cloths and total look was just a copie of Keith. Now that i read all your remarks i know he was an honest fan and a good guy.

R.I.P.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: March 29, 2006 18:26

Very sad to hear the news. Met Nikki in Paris during the 2003 Licks week. He played a gig on one of the off-nights. May he rest in peace.

Date: March 29, 2006 20:32

Ohhh no!!! I am sad today!! Me never gonna meet you Nikke again!! What a special guy he was!! Thank´s for great memories,many many hours of queing and front row memories!!

A toste of port to Nikki! /Henrik, Sweden

Posted by: sumi ()
Date: March 29, 2006 22:35

I miss you Nikki
Risk Disc

Posted by: Ringo Kid ()
Date: March 29, 2006 22:53

Aaah, it´s so good to see all your kind words and thoughts about Nikki.
And to all who haven´t heard his music, you should really check him out. All of his solo records and Jacobites records, and as some other fans here say, the Swell Maps records. I know that you are gonna love a lot of it.

I got to know Nikki pretty good through these last years, since november 2003, when I got him and Dave Kusworth, as Jacobites, a gig here in Trondheim. The gig was great and we watched a lot of the Four Flicks set that night. They hadn´t bought it yet, so for me as my first meeting with the boys, I felt a little proud over showing it to them, as I knew how much they loved the Stones. God bless you Nikki, and thanks for all your support here.

------------------------------
[rockandrollcentral.net]
------------------------------

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 29, 2006 23:11

Read and listen to Nikki here

[blog.wfmu.org]

[www.wfmu.org]

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 30, 2006 18:57

I only ever saw him play 3 songs in a bar in Munich in 2003 but I had known him about 4 years by then. He was my friend above all, always sending amusing emails and if you ever met him he had a magic smile and great presence.

He'd just finished his latest album and autobiography, hope they both see the light of day.

Check out 'Treasure Island', his 2004 album. Great music with Mick Taylor and Ian Maclagan.

I haven't seen him since Ronnies show at Drury Lane, he described our conversation as delightful. I was looking forward to meeting him on the road this year, swap a few stories, drink some beer, get my Swell Maps CDs signed and generally enjoy his company.

He was my friend and a great bloke.

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: March 30, 2006 21:37

Any news on what he died from?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 31, 2006 04:14

If you listen to Nikki on that radio show, just one week before... [www.wfmu.org]
it might give a clue - I could be wrong tho'

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: April 1, 2006 16:36

bye nikki.. will never forget you

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

any love for nikki sudden?
Posted by: lippmann ()
Date: June 8, 2020 11:37

hey there,
in this dark times, theres not much to cheer you up, but i am getting on nikki sudden and the jacobites. since the new york dolls i got my problems with clones of our favourite band. couldnt believe it today, that these band has got such a big reputation, okay 3 songs on an old new wave sampler is enough. the songs are the problem, if you get inspired by beautiful music let you inspire by the best.with look on nikki sudden, the more i get into his songs, the more i see that his songs are inspired by mid sixties melodies, blue turns to grey, i;m free etc.and that whole feel.
i am no expert, never seen him live at his time, just get a little wiggled in his cosmos and any new day i find a beautiful song. any love for nikki sudden?

Re: any love for nikki sudden?
Date: June 8, 2020 11:45

More about Nikki here: [iorr.org]

Re: any love for nikki sudden?
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 8, 2020 13:21

I remember chatting to him very briefly outside the Astoria in 2003 when The Stones played there. Most of us were in the line for any spare tickets,but unfortunately no luck.
I just thought Nikki was just another Stones fan like the rest of us.
Obviously he was, but only much later found out what a great musical talent he had.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 8, 2020 13:49

A great musician who was usually to be found with his guitar entertaining other fans back in the days when you could still queue for tickets such as outside Virgin store for Brixton in 95 and outside Tower for the Shepherds Bush Empire show in 99.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home