Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Black Crowes in Amsterdam
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 23, 2006 11:35

The Black Crowes performed their first concert out of three in Paradiso Amsterdam last night. I couldn't find anything in this morning's papers'. The setlist looked great! Was anyone of IORR there?

Hope they'll play a Stones cover tonight (Street Fighting Man, Loving Cup, Torn And Frayed, You Gotta Move and Happy were allready played this tour). Last weekend they did Around & Around as an encore.

So, any stories before I get into the car and drive to Amsterdam?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-23 11:52 by mr edward.

Re: OT: Black Crowes in Amsterdam
Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: March 23, 2006 14:21

I saw them at Shepards Bush a few nights ago, they were really brilliant and the fews years off seems to have done them some good.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 23, 2006 16:28

I've seen them a few times and they always put on a great show. I just got an email that they'll be playing close to me again in May, so I'm psyched.

I've never seen them do any Stones song. I would go out of my mind if that played one, that would be so cool.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 23, 2006 16:40

So are they back together? I read the brothers were just going to do an acoustic tour.

Posted by: amoody ()
Date: March 23, 2006 18:18

I saw them march 10 in Myrtle Beach SC. they came on at 9:00pm with no opening band rocked out with all their cool songs and did some cool covers. they took a quick 10 minute break and then played till 12:30am. On most of their songs they did a spaced out jam that was kind of like the old way ledzepplin did their songs. if you get a chance to see them go.

Posted by: HoldOnToYourHat ()
Date: March 23, 2006 19:54

I saw them twice on this past 2005 tour, and @ the Tower Theatre in Philly on 9/29 they covered Ronnie's "Cancel Everything"!!! It was a great show all around, with a nice boogie encore of "Shake Your Moneymaker"

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 23, 2006 20:05

Great band, but they play really too loud.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 23, 2006 20:23

The Joker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great band, but they play really too loud.

saw them twice in '05 and the sound level was A1 Perfecto

Posted by: einte ()
Date: March 23, 2006 20:28

I saw them yesterday together with a friend of mine at the paradiso
Great show but some of the 'jams' were to long in my opinion.
They also played a Gram Parsons song that was great !!
this time no Stones song but again a good show
They start about 20.30 hour and end up at 23.45 hour
and got a break about 15 min WOW !!!!!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 23, 2006 21:17

I saw a couple of Club shows last Fall in Washington, D.C. and I was impressed. A Rock and Roll show. Played several covers that were hidden gems.

Posted by: veronus ()
Date: March 23, 2006 21:38

I saw them yesterday in the paradiso and it was good. nice mellow show. one big jam sesion for 3 hours, and they didn,t play remedy, still love that one

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 23, 2006 21:43

the crowes are really that rare hybrid between the sensibility of the classic rock bands of the 70's (Zep, Stones, Faces, Pie) and the jam-oriented groups like Phish, the Dead, Allmans. If you don't like the latter style acts, you'll probably be bored at a Crowes show. I love 'em 'cos they know how to combine the best of both worlds....

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 23, 2006 21:46

T&A Wrote:
> the crowes are really that rare hybrid between the
> sensibility of the classic rock bands of the 70's
> (Zep, Stones, Faces, Pie) and the jam-oriented
> groups like Phish, the Dead, Allmans. If you
> don't like the latter style acts, you'll probably
> be bored at a Crowes show. I love 'em 'cos they
> know how to combine the best of both worlds....

T & A,

Good explanation/characterization.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: March 23, 2006 22:47

do they have new members?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 23, 2006 23:11

Good call T&A. I like both types of bands you mention, I wish the Stones would put on shows that are more like what the Crows do, more focused on music and a good mix of songs.

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: March 23, 2006 23:50

Just bought the new DVD "Freak'n Roll Into the Fog" !! smiling smiley

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: March 24, 2006 01:13

Yesterdaynight The Crowes really rocked Paradiso. Great venue for them. Small stage, small floor and two balcony levels, and packed with people (1.500).

Paradiso is a former church, and above the stage there is written "soli deo gloria" which, if I'm correct, means something like "only worship god". Funny to read those words while the Crowes makes you worship rock n roll...

They had a guest, John Sinclair, who read a poem, somewhere in between the songs. But I don't know him. Anyone here who can tell more about him?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 24, 2006 20:09

The first show was truly boring. From the start on, it was clear that this was n off-night: the jams didn't work, the solo's didn't work, the set list didn't work. It was a bit like the Crowes in 95/96, with the endless noodling on songs over 20 minutes. It was so boring that I wanted to sell my ticket for the second night. Fortunately, I didn't, because it was BRILLIANT! From the start they were into it. They looked great, they were laughing and dancing, even Rich laughed for about three seconds! Now everything gelled: the jams were exciting, Ford's solo's were brilliant, and the three hour show seemed like half an hour. Best thing is that as far as I remember, they didn't play any song from the night before!

They have changed a bit I must say. They lost the Faces-style swagger they had in the early days, and now are more than ever a Southern Rock band like the Allman Brothers and Gratefull Dead. Any reference to the Stones (if there ever was) is completely gonge, except for Rich playing two Zemaitis guitars.

Mathijs

Posted by: Angiegirl ()
Date: March 24, 2006 20:19

veronus Wrote:
> I saw them yesterday in the paradiso and it was
> good. nice mellow show. one big jam sesion for 3
> hours, and they didn,t play remedy, still love
> that one

Ha! They did play Remedy last night (2nd show). Great show, they have clearly matured since the 90's.

Posted by: ruby t. ()
Date: March 24, 2006 22:34

Love the Crowes, they ROCK!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1985
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home