Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor's Afro
Posted by: Jimmy Shelter ()
Date: March 12, 2006 03:16

At a record shop I usually go to there is a picture of the Stones and Taylor has his hair in an afro.

The shop-keep does not know what year the photo was shot on, so my question is on what tour did Taylor have an afro hair doo?

Re: Mick Taylor's Afro
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 12, 2006 03:29

I think it was in 73 Europe that he wore Billy Preston's wig as a joke.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 12, 2006 03:30

It was his tribute to Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell. White guys with afros unite!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 12, 2006 03:31

Mick Taylor sometimes played with Billy Preston in the opening act. "That's The Way God Planned It" (with Taylor on guitar) is available on Goodnight Vienna (VGP).
(Billy Preston is OK, but he never hit the roof, as far as I'm concerned)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 12, 2006 04:14

In less than one year I saw Preston at the Forum five times--two shows with George Harrison on his infamous Dark Horse tour in late '74, and then three nights with the Stones in July 75.

His solo set during the Harrison tour was sweet relief--George was drowning during that tour: his voice was shot (they called it the "Dark Hoarse" tour), he played a lot of songs from his new (and worst) album, didn't want to play Beatle songs (the few that he did, he tweaked: "While My Guitar Gently SMILES"), and lectured the audience in L.A. when someone shouted a request for "Bangla Desh!"

Billy's set of songs, which included "Nothin' From Nothin'" got everybody up and dancing, and the critics agreed that Billy stole the show.

A few months later, he's back on tour, with the Stones. In the middle of their set, he gets to do two of his own songs (one from his new album called "That's Life"--not the Sinatra song--that has since been forgotten, and the instrumental "Outta Space") The first one gives Mick a break, and during the second one Mick comes back out to dance and finally swing over the first couple of rows on a "Tarzan rope."

The odd thing during this was to watch the Stones function as his backing band. His percussionist, Ollie Brown, traded places with Charlie and played the drums for these two songs.

I can't speak for the rest of the crowd, but I don't think Preston endeared himself to the rock audience that night. At the end of the summer he was the musical guest on the first episode of Saturday Night Live (then called NBC's Saturday Night). But he didn't make the charts again until years later.

He played with the Stones for two years after that, but after that bit of using them as his backing group his currency among the rock audience seemed to diminish.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 12, 2006 04:48

Well she laid on 'er back like dis Billy and well I just had to take her up stairs for a ride.

ROCKMAN

Date: March 12, 2006 05:14

He wore the wig with Billy's band opening for the Stones in 1973

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: March 12, 2006 12:44

Mick T has always been on top of things. That's a swell looking afro wig.
I wonder what The Maverick would have to say 'bout that one?

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: March 12, 2006 21:26

Hairs a few more 4 ya's, seen preston 6-3-73 he was backup 4 deep purple , weird thing about this show is purple had a new album out called Who do we think we r with a pretty big hit from it called woman from tokyo & they did not play a single track off of it , entire show was the made in japan album with lucille as encore , purple was unbelieveable , preston he held his own

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 13, 2006 01:00

I for one have never forgotton Billy's mid-70s albums "Everybody Likes Some Kind Of Music", "Music Is My Life", & "The Kids and Me"....
Actually, I do dig his mid-60s albums - "Most Exciting Organ Ever" and "The Wildest Organ In Town!" (Sly Stone contributed)
Could I make these titles up??

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: March 13, 2006 04:58

chippy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hairs a few more 4 ya's,

Thanks for the additional pix. What is the source for them?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 13, 2006 05:09

There appears to be a lot of vibrato in those wigs.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: March 13, 2006 07:14

Koen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There appears to be a lot of vibrato in those
> wigs.

I, too, was wondering about the Strat, which, as far as I recall, he did not use on stage with the Stones.

Incidentally, was it only "sometimes" that Taylor played with Preston? I thought he played all of the shows, so on a number of days, Taylor was playing four shows a day. Those Preston shows were a nice warm up for his Stones performances.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1168
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home