Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ian MacLagan's book "All The Rage"
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:14

Just got this in the mail from Mac. Lots of great stories about Small Faces, Faces, and Stones. Anybody else enjoy this as much as me? Mac will sign if you buy through his website. A must-have for Stone-freaks (any of those here?).

Re: Ian MacLagan's book "All The Rage"
Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:15

Bought it a couple of years ago......A great read.

Emailed Mac to say how much I had enjoyed the book and he replied thanking me for my comments!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:30

Hey Elmo....what's the name of Mac's website?

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:32

It's `[www.macspages.com]

You can buy the Faces boxset signed, too.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:33

bruno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's `
>
> You can buy the Faces boxset signed, too.
>
> "There´ll be no wedding today..." I ain't gonna
> work on Meggie's farm no more...(PS)

many thanks!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:35

definitely one of the best r'n'r reads out there. I was amused that Mac could always recall the post-gig party, but not much about the gig itself....

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:53

Yes, read Macs book. It isn't just that he was there, but also because Mac is such a great storyteller. It really is a good read, for anyone, not just Faces/Stones people. Mac is a damn nice guy, too.

Date: March 10, 2006 21:06

LK, he's got all kinda good stuff there. I also bought 2 of his solo CD's. Very much like Ronnie's solo stuff. There's a link at Connection on this website.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 10, 2006 21:28

Elmo! Ian mclagan's site has always been one of my favorites. Glad you have shined a spotlght on this one for all the faithful. Check-out all the cool links. Enjoy it! Maybe we will finally see the re- release of the Faces CDs with extra tracks.

Date: March 10, 2006 21:30

kienan, you've got mail.

Date: March 10, 2006 21:57

Elmo, check you mail.

Date: March 10, 2006 22:19

Man, in my part of the world I thought I was the only Faces fan alive! My friends know Ronnie is a Stone and Rod's hits, but have no idea about some of the Faces treasure (Glad and Sorry, Poolhall Richard, many others). Mac's site is just the ticket for a Faces fan.

Date: March 10, 2006 22:42

Lordy, Elmo! I could pass on to the ether with a smile on my face if, The Faces were to reform with a new CD/tour. Maybe Wyman on bass! We can dream can't we?

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: March 10, 2006 22:45

What a great guy, musician and storyteller!!!
His CD is also cool, also available signed from his homepage!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 10, 2006 22:56

How I love this book!!!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 10, 2006 23:38

I just finished reading his book last week. Great, great book indeed lots of greats stories!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 11, 2006 00:17

Anyone here read Ian Hunter's Diary of a Rock and Roll Star? How does MacLagen's book compare?

Posted by: Ringo Kid ()
Date: March 11, 2006 00:22

I really like Ian Hunter´s book!
Great to read about him at Graceland:-)

Now, I gotta start ordering that Mac book!

------------------------------
[rockandrollcentral.net]
------------------------------

Date: March 11, 2006 00:49

Ringo, you won't regret it.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 11, 2006 02:56

Mac's description of trying to squeeze $15,000 rather than $14,000 out of Mick for two weeks' work is a hoot, and his portraits of the Stones (Charlie at the beach, etc) are all priceless, plus of course his heartfelt memories & complex relationship w/ Ronnie Lane, and scores of encounters w/ rockstars great and small...Anybody with the Faces box liner notes knows Mac's 'voice', and this is truly one of a small handful of great rock n roll memoirs...
Then as I wrote a couple weeks back I've more or less finally moved on to the last 2 discs of the Faces box:
disc 4: Love In Vain (8:21 of scorching slide & soulful, understated vocals), Around the Plynth (BBC - whoa!), Stealer, Flying (BBC version)
disc 3: Gettin Hungry (Brian Wilson remade/remodeled), Open To Ideas (a lost, great ballad), Hi-Heeled Sneakers/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, Rock Me (all from an unfinished '75 album), a classic, live I'd Rather Go Blind, Skewiff Mend the Fuse (guitars galore), Angel

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 11, 2006 06:26

Mac is The Man.

His solo work is great. His 1980 album, Bump In The Night, is incredible. If you love the Stones, you will love that record.

I myself thought it was much, much better than Emotional Rescue (also 1980).

Years ago I told him, "You kicked the Stones' ass that year!" He couldn't believe it, but it was true.

Regarding the book: it's been a few years since I read it, but I do recall being surprised about his candor surrounding drug use by some of the Stones. Not that I was shocked (Shocked!!) by the news, only that it came from an insider.

I don't remember him discussing how or why he didn't tour with them again after '81. There was a coffee table book that the Stones put out a few years ago with a lot of tour pics of the various players. Not one to be found of Mac.

I get the feeling that now he is on the Outside.

Date: March 11, 2006 18:26

Mac seemed like a perfect fit from '78-'82. Having 2 Faces in the Stones was cool, too. Perhaps his coke problem was seen as a negative given Ron W's serious addiction to freebase in the '80s. Perhaps like Joey Spaminato he was seen as a Keith/Ron person, Leavell (not to mention Clifford) a Mick choice, but one Keith liked or could deal with if they got rid of Matt... Mac as has been written here many times before also issued the only existing studio New Barbarians recording, 'Truly' and a 12-minute version is included on the expanded "Here Comes Trouble" (basically his 1979 "Troublemaker" debut plus extra tracks). Most of his solo albums have Ron Wood on them as well (and vice-versa)...Also dig the great Dylan lineup with McLagan and Mick Taylor that produced the 1985 live album "Real Live"...my favorite live Bob along with his stuff w/ the Band

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-11 18:39 by john r.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 11, 2006 20:31

I thought Chuck was in the band in '82.

Date: March 12, 2006 01:12

Yes he joined for the '82 tour, so Mac's last released work (aside from comps) was "Still Life" (June '82)

Date: March 20, 2006 20:00

Almost thru with this book. It gets better as you go. A must for any Stones or Faces or Small Faces fan. Really for anyone who loveds R'N'R. He names names.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home