Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

(Diss) Respectable
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 8, 2006 02:43

What's the deal with Respectable? Up until 2003 it sounded great live. But from the boots I've heard and the general consensus on the board, things have fallen apart. It's no pillar of a Stones show anymore.

Any thoughts on what's ailing here?

Re: (Diss) Respectable
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 8, 2006 10:34

They should rehearse this one, or at least figure out what key it's in. When the boot comes out, you'll hear it -- it was, uhhh not good. The rest of the show was fantastic, tho.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: March 8, 2006 10:44

They only really nailed it down during the 1978 tour, almost pure punk.
After that because of the decay of Ronnie and Keith the song clearly lost it magic live. Even during the 99 tour I never thought it even become close to the SG tour version

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 8, 2006 10:46

i like it on no security

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 8, 2006 10:48

IMHO, Respectable isn't a pillar of a Stones show since Bill's departure.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 8, 2006 10:50

How can they @#$%& it up so badly a couple nights ago?! It is such a simple song, twelve bar in A... I'm curious to hear the boot of the show., for some reason i can really enjoy a good @#$%& up by the stones. It is what makes them the interesting band to hear and see a lot of time because it is never the same!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: March 8, 2006 13:43

The worst thing about today's Respectable is Mick's singing. He can't hit the high notes, and then the energy vanishes.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: March 8, 2006 13:55

As far as I'm concerned you've presented yet another reason to continue with setlists containing loads of warhorses.
The well-known numbers they nail perfectly at every show and have difficulties with songs like Sway and Respectable.
There's simply no reason to play obscure songs anymore. Besides, the majority of people around the globe only attend one show each and love them warhorses.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 8, 2006 18:48

I'd rather hear them keep trying and messing up Respectable (they're bound to get it right at some point - '99 wasn't that long ago) than go into cruise control on Miss You anymore.

Date: March 9, 2006 01:01

Rank Outsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as I'm concerned you've presented yet
> another reason to continue with setlists
> containing loads of warhorses.
> The well-known numbers they nail perfectly at
> every show and have difficulties with songs like
> Sway and Respectable.
> There's simply no reason to play obscure songs
> anymore. Besides, the majority of people around
> the globe only attend one show each and love them
> warhorses.

Have you heard some of the versions of Tumbling Dice or Sympathy For The Devil from this tour?Did they mess up on Far Away Eyes or Worried About You?Of course they're going to be more likely to screw up a song that they only play once every two months.The answer is to play them a little more often,not to give up.If there's simply no reason to play 90% of their songs then they should call it a day to avoid destroying their reputation.One good reason to play these non-warhorses is because most of their long time fans want to hear them.Also,just because a song sounds different from a version recorded 35 years ago does not necessarily mean that they screwed it up.They have a totally different guitar player than the one they had when they recorded alot of these non-warhorses so,chances are the new versions will sound a little different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-09 01:02 by Theif in the Night.

Date: March 9, 2006 01:10

I will also add that most of the '90's versions of Respectable were solid.For me,it depends on what kind of a mood I'm in.The '78 versions were probably the best but,I don't always want to hear the loud yelling on the '78 versions - that's why I don't listen to punk rock.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 9, 2006 01:10

Rank Outsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as I'm concerned you've presented yet
> another reason to continue with setlists
> containing loads of warhorses.
> The well-known numbers they nail perfectly at
> every show and have difficulties with songs like
> Sway and Respectable.
> There's simply no reason to play obscure songs anymore

and to add to Theif's argument above, the two songs youve mentioned come from two of the three biggest selling albums of the band's career - each of which have sold 7-8 million copies. To call them 'obscure' only proves that youve bought hook,line and sinker this idiotic and unfounded argument that the average Stones audience member has suddenly become so unsophisticated regarding the band's material that they only know a few songs from 40 Licks and nothing else and will go home vowing never to return to another show if they play nothing BUT these songs

'Through the Lonely Nights' or 'Jump on top of me' is an 'obscure' song. Something from 'Some Girls' or 'Sticky Fingers' ISNT.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home