Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sway & As tears go by
Posted by: salar ()
Date: March 7, 2006 19:04

Hi folks,

i just got the MSG dvd from 18.01.06 and it was the first time ever I heard
Sway and As Tears Go By....I did not listen to them before and after reading all this reviews from you guys out there I was realy looking forward, hearing those 2 tunes as a virgin.
Oh man, I tell you...did never expect such a high quality super version of both songs.
I am normaly very critical when it comes to seldom or never before performed songs..but this time they realy nailed it.

"Tears" is a perfect slow song and it makes you want to sing the whole song..it made me shiver...
and Sway..oh my god, what a cool performance...The singing..the guitars..all in its place..Like it should be...so go on Stones..try more like this.

Cuonthetour

salar

Re: Sway & As tears go by
Posted by: dial300 ()
Date: March 7, 2006 20:15

They nailed it on the guitars on "Sway"? I downloaded the "Sway" from this show and what I heard was guitar playing that was horrible. Bad bends, off key bends, noisy, bad tone, no graceful vibratos, missed notes: that spells guitar playing that is lacking, not good.

Plus, the feel of the song made it sound more like "Stray Cat Blues" and not like "Sway".

Try this download and listen for contrast, just so you can hear what I consider to be guitar playing that is actually "good".

Mick Taylor plays "Sway" with Carla Olson (from aud. recording):
[rapidshare.de]

No offense, but your listening indicates that you equate material that you like with material that is played well. Look, I like The Stones but I do not pretend that bad playing is good.

I do not know where this recent Stones mp3 is from, but here you can download a recent version of "Sway" to contrast with the version above.

Ron Wood places his mark on The Stones live version of "Sway":
[rapidshare.de]

The original "Sway" hat a swaggered, slowish beat. Their new renditions have speeded it up so that (again), to me, it sounds more like a "Stray Cat Blues" than it does "Sway".

Again, no offense, but let's calla spade a spade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 20:35 by dial300.

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: March 7, 2006 20:33

These songs were played on 20Jan, 06 (not 18Jan). Sway sounded absolutely powerful and right on when I heard it there that night from the third row. Audience recordings don't always capture the true sound at the venue.

Date: March 7, 2006 20:38

Audience recodrings do better than capture the "true sound". They document every note, warts and all. The mp3's I am offering for samples do just that. The recordings do not lie.

Afterall, the microphone is it's own ear. It is just not as intricate with the pair that our Creator designed for us.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 7, 2006 21:15

May I say that this Carla Olson version is only hardly saved by MT? Always great tone and vibrato but flat-uninspired lines. But as for the rest ... ouch!

The Stones 2006 version suffers more for Jaggers approach (very similar to his singing on the "modern" DoDoDo) than Ronnie's solos. Yet there is depth there!

C

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: March 7, 2006 21:22

I enjoy MT & Carla on Winter, but it's because of Mick's playing. Carla's singing lacks emotion, you can easily hear that she is singing with her vocal "technique" in mind, not feeling the lyrics. I'm sure Tiny Tim would love her vibrato vocals, though.

Again--it's the big picture that counts, not just technique. And IT'S ONLY ROCK N ROLL.
Who the hell expects perfection in Rock n roll. I don't. Other things matter too. Why listen with such a narrow focus?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 7, 2006 21:27

narrow focus - Why cant we compare the original to the attempted live version
in ohio,new york. The singing is not great either - remember the original jagger
sang with ATTITUDE.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 7, 2006 21:31

i love Carla's vocals on Sway and Winter - she outsings MJ (his current tour version, anyway) on Sway, IMO....

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: March 7, 2006 21:54

I listened to Sway MSG's version this week-end and while Mick's vocals are great, Ron's guitar is plain bad.

Date: March 7, 2006 22:31

Well, here is a video from MSG 1-20-06. Listen as Wood attempts to play. For anyone to say "It's only rock and roll", thatis excuse making. That's fine, but call a spade a spade. Why is Wood cheering his only pooorly played solo? Either he does not realize that it was poorly played or the cheering is meant to whitewash his attempt to play guitar. I think the latter. You cannot go wrong accusing The Stones and Wood of intelectual dishonesty.

And again, I like watching and listening to this stuff. I love The Stones. But at the same time when it comes to analysis I do not turn a deaf ear or a blind eye. Apart from analysis it is definately fun. I would not want to play guitar that way, though. I love playing too much to not practice and not at least try to play good. I wish I had the bank account (like Wood). I could not care about fame, but money pays bills.

Mpeg video (42 MB's):
[rapidshare.de]

Date: March 8, 2006 00:12

OpenG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> narrow focus - Why cant we compare the original to
> the attempted live version
> in ohio,new york.

Go ahead. Just stop pitting MT vs RW.

The singing is not great either
> - remember the original jagger
> sang with ATTITUDE.
>

Exactly. It's the big picture...emotion & attitude count too, not just technique. Sometimes the former makes up for lack of the latter, esp in RnR where sometimes the simplest songs are the most successful (as with the old blues). But somehow I get the feeling my point will be missed---once again.

Ron Wood is not so rich either, remember there was a time not so long ago he had to rely on selling his paintings to make ends meet. I feel sorry that people always pick on him. MT will not come back. Give it a rest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-08 00:15 by Miss U..

Date: March 10, 2006 20:42

Miss U. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OpenG Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > narrow focus - Why cant we compare the
> > original to
> > the attempted live version
> > in ohio,new york.
>
> Go ahead. Just stop pitting MT vs RW.

Why? It makes for great cannon fodder. I do not see anything wrong with writing with a critical ear. Comparison and contrast is great for illustration. It's a tool of analysis. Why ignore the obvious? If The Stones are going to rub my nose in offending material then I am going to voice a complaint wherever and whenever. Hey, I try to be civil in any replies. That's what counts. Otherwise we can do the "interfaith" I'm OK?You're OK garbage. Put the differences on the table where they belong and talk about them.

The Stones do have a lot of 'guitar solos' in their shows, don't they. Hoisted by their own petards. And this weaving myth, I like to listen to the Keith side of "Love You Live". The other channel seems both superfluous and messy.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 12, 2006 06:55

Where can I download the January 20th DVD? I have the 18th, but can't find the 20th anywhere.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: March 12, 2006 12:38

People who keep on bitchin' about Sway being badly performed should realize that this song is one of 'em rarities you keep on begging for them to play all the time. Grow up and learn to adore the warhorses instead. Over 90 percent of audiences wanna hear them warhorses that the Stones master with unprecedented perfection every single night. If you don't like what you hear go watch Macca play over 30 songs at gigs lasting almost 3 hours. If you complain about the setlist you have nothing important to do in your miserable lives. Get a grip, will ya.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: March 12, 2006 12:51

Never did like Sway anyhow, so who cares how they played it. As Tears Go By is by far the better song.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Date: March 13, 2006 21:00

dial300 Wrote:

>
> Why? It makes for great cannon fodder. I do not
> see anything wrong with writing with a critical
> ear. Comparison and contrast is great for
> illustration. It's a tool of analysis. Why ignore
> the obvious? If The Stones are going to rub my
> nose in offending material then I am going to
> voice a complaint wherever and whenever.

No one is forcing you to listen to the stones. If it irritates you, don't listen. Obviously here we are stones fans who like the music, nothing will change that. Some people like all the eras for different reasons.
Respecting other people's opinions that are different than yours involves recognizing that your opinion is subjective, not black & white, and not necessarily the correct answer. Art is subjective. People listen differently, paying attention to different things. Alot goes into a performance, more than technique. It's the big picture.
R e s p e c t, find out what it means to me. Just a little bit.
Seems sadly lacking on mt.net and sw5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-13 21:09 by Miss U..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home