Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Is it effectively "All Over Now"--what a horrid set list in LV! What a BORING show!
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 6, 2006 11:27

Yeah, all the McD-critics are people that never go there.
I lurv it ("I'm Lovin' It"); and I´m not ashamed over it.
I we´d get 1 buck for each time someone post a review
w/out havin' seen the actual show; we'd be zillionaires by now...

Re: Is it effectively "All Over Now"--what a horrid set list in LV! What a BORING show!
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 6, 2006 12:05

there are lots of reasons not to go to mcdonalds - i don't go and i grew up on it...however, i was at last night's show and if it weren't for the people all sitting down and the security up my ass all night starting at BoB and ending at GS, which essentially ruined my experience of all those songs, i would've thought it one of the better show's i've seen this tour - and this was my 9th.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 6, 2006 12:09

McDonalds is like the Rolling Stones. They're expensive, but the food is good. They were the first to open one of those Drive In restaurants. They had the guts to try it, and others followed. The others are cheaper, but McDonald's is still best. They sell the same dry hamburgers since they were founded. You pay way too much money but when you walk out the door you don't have the feeling you're being ripped off.

Great!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 6, 2006 12:20

you think mcdonald's is expensive? the meat is subsidized by the government - if you actually had to pay for all the resources that went into making those burgers, they would cost over $10. you'll learn that mcdonalds is not good food. and although it was before my time, i don't think they were the first drive in. i actually live near the first mcdonalds. the stones use a lot of resources too but they aint mcdonalds! britney spears is mcdonalds.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 6, 2006 12:27

Yeah, the McDonald Brothers Burger Bar Drive-In. They changed that to McDonalds. They called it the Speedee Service System.

Posted by: LesPaul ()
Date: March 6, 2006 12:50

i think some of you sometimes dont consider how lucky you are in fact.
you can see the stones, you can discuss about setlists, you can chose your favorite venue and MAN you got the chance to see vegas AND the stones - how lucky can you be? i havemnt even been to vegas yet...i live in the heart of europe, i have to wait till the end of the tours to see them (in zeltweg they celebrated their one-year tour anniversary), last time i luckily made 3 concerts (one in my hometown vienna, munich and prague) where i managed to get by car (or train) if i want to see the stones at a different place i really have to travel and thats hard to afford (not counting the tic-prices) and i`m not spending all my money on cars and ipods (as read on a diff thread)
so, no hard feelings guys, this may sound a bit like a sermon but be grateful that
- they are still around
- and touring
- you are able to see them
- you are in vegas
(while i´m freezing my butt off here, cos it started to snow again)

end of sermon, so will you you now all pick up your holy songbooks (the rolling stones complete) song 167 and chant with me
you cant always get what you want...

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 6, 2006 13:08

I am glad that I am not so depressed and pathetic that the only happiness I can find in life is bitching about the Rolling Stones and the United States.

Date: March 6, 2006 13:14

What was wrong with the setlist? To me it looked fine...

Posted by: LesPaul ()
Date: March 6, 2006 13:17

Steven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am glad that I am not so depressed and pathetic
> that the only happiness I can find in life is
> bitching about the Rolling Stones and the United
> States.

agree

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: March 6, 2006 13:21

Les Paul,

I agree totally.
They are still here, it still excites!
What's the problem?

Maybe the tinheads should take up skydiving, or reassess the damage to their central nervous systems.......trainspotters.

I hope I have some of these sad cases at the seated gigs I'm going to, I'm only small so I would appreciate having a miserable sit-downer in front of me. Guess these moaners are not going though.

Oily.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 6, 2006 13:28

little queenie Wrote:
> there are lots of reasons not to go to mcdonalds -
> i don't go and i grew up on it...however, i was at
> last night's show and if it weren't for the people
> all sitting down and the security up my ass all
> night starting at BoB and ending at GS, which
> essentially ruined my experience of all those
> songs, i would've thought it one of the better
> show's i've seen this tour - and this was my 9th.

One could wonder wonder why the hell you choose
that rattle-with-yer-jewels-joint... !?

Date: March 6, 2006 16:23

OILY_DIPSTICK Wrote:
> Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn
> .
> In fact make that
> YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> AAAAAAAAAAAAWN!
>
> titN - or maybe they should just call it a day, on
> your sage advice of course, and not care about
> entertaining the other 99% of the audience.
> Again, take a look at the Monterrey review.
>
> I don't know how you can slag off set lists when
> your post is so dull and predictable.
> I bet it took some thought to put those pearls of
> wisdom down.
> Can't wait for the ticket price thread.
>
> Geez, and people get wound up about reruns on
> TV!!!!!
>
> Love and peace, Oily.

Honestly,I don't see any reason why my posts should be anything other than dull and predictable.I am posting facts about what the Stones have been doing which has been dull and predictable.It's good to know that you can speak for 99% of the Stones audience though.It's a well known fact that the Stones have not brought much new to the table on this tour.You can like that fact all you want but,not everyone will.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 7, 2006 01:38

For those of you who think that the same setlist is great, night after night, am I correct in assuming that you all stay at home most nights listening to 40 Licks, and nothing else.

After all, why bother with variety?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 7, 2006 01:45

oooooh - logie! Good one!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 7, 2006 01:45

At home it is you every day next to your record player. So you may play anything you like. If you don't like any of the greatest songs by the Stones.

At every show there are new people every time expecting to hear the famous songs. Big difference.

It is like ordering a burger at MacDonalds and getting a carrot because they think you should have some variation. Many people would not be happy about that.

Bjornulf

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 7, 2006 01:53

Precisely. And who in their right mind, would eat McDonalds night after night?

Posted by: lynn1 ()
Date: March 7, 2006 01:58

I love their music (obviously). I can't wait to get to yet another concert. BUT, I can NO longer get excited by hearing Satisfaction. Enough is enough. Without variety there is boredom. That IS my point.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 7, 2006 02:19

Comparing the Stones to McDonalds hardly seems complementary . . .

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 7, 2006 02:43

Reptile Wrote:
> McDonalds is like the Rolling Stones. They're
> expensive, but the food is good. They were the
> first to open one of those Drive In restaurants.
> They had the guts to try it, and others followed.
> The others are cheaper, but McDonald's is still
> best. They sell the same dry hamburgers since they
> were founded. You pay way too much money but when
> you walk out the door you don't have the feeling
> you're being ripped off.
>
> Great!

You compare..The Stones..It seems funny..but hell it aint fuc-ing bloody funny at all..Give your ticket away....eat big burgers...I love Bil Wyman but...Sticky f..is better in dehaag!!!the Stones aint no Hamburger company..rep!!look...R&r aint no meal!!!PPFFF..If you cant take a joke its to bad..cheers.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 7, 2006 03:44

I always wish they would play Sympathy twice......during the show but thats me...FYI been to 38 shows...never had a better time!!

Date: March 7, 2006 03:51

What do you expect from the band, anyways? Why aren't you just glad they're touring? If it's not one thing it's another! Stop bashing the band already... I think they know more than anybody on this board what songs and in what order they wish to play them on any night.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: March 7, 2006 04:09

To answer The Menace of Mayfair's question : All I expected them to do was to continue doing what they did in the '90's and not just rely on the same songs.Richards had the right idea not too long ago when he said something close to "The Stones like to bring something new to the table each tour."It would be alright by me if they insist on keeping the ten warhorses at every show (Personally I would like to see Miss You,You Can't Always Get What You Want,and Honkey Tonk Women go & I would prefer I Go Wild instead of You Got Me Rocking but,I guess that is pushing it too far.)if the the rest of the concert consisted of five new songs + songs that were never done and songs that haven't been done recently instead of the same non warhorses from recent tours.Also,after their people directly mentioned club shows last May,I did expect at least two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 05:03 by Theif in the Night.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 7, 2006 06:15

Reptile Wrote:
> Obviously Lynn has seen no shows this tour. So why
> is he whining about the concerts?

I can't speak for Lynn but by and large the most cynical comments about the Stones on the ABB tour and the Licks tour that I have heard tend to come from folks that have not attended any of the shows. Some psychological thing going on there. Something to do no doubt with their own station in life and being unable to attend the shows because of financial constraints or other issues -- and they are bitter about that so they say the shows suck and yet they know not what they are talking about.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 7, 2006 07:20

1cdog, with all due respect, I can't speak for others but personally I've seen every tour on the West Coast since my first one as a very small tike at the LA Forum in 1969. 2 in '72/ 1 in '73 (benefit)/ 2 in '75 - 1st and last Forum show/ 2 in '78 - both Anaheim Shows/ 2 in '81/ 2 in '89/ 1 in '94/ 1 in '97/ 2 in '99 - both Pond shows.After that it's been DVD's and CD's (legit and boot) plus checking out set lists on IORR. The thing about ALL those tours was they always had plenty of great surprises/new songs for us hard core fans. When they played the '69 show "Let it Bleed" was still weeks away from being released yet they still played 3 new songs off of it (Love in Vain, Rambler, Live With Me) and the audience went nuts. It's sad to see them finally loose so much interest in the shows were they really don't play anything special except for a few rare ones (meaning never played live from Mick Taylor on). A couple "Sways" and a few "As Tears Go By" is all they can muster up? It's a sign, they're loosing interest. Happens to everybody sooner or later and we just have to accept it..... If you had seen those early shows you'd think these shows suck too, believe me....

Posted by: StonesPrincess ()
Date: March 7, 2006 07:28

I was with a guy that has seen at least 200 shows and he was still moved and happy as hell to be there, knowing deep down in his heart that this could very well be the last tour. Charlie's done people! Bask in the glory of the Rolling Stones, be happy to be seeing them live, forget about the good old days and embrace the here and now. Sure I'd love to have seen them with Mick Taylor as that's when they sounded the best, but I'm also smart enough and grateful enough to know what is laid before me on stage is the best band of all time, the stuff legends are made of, the one and the only Rolling Stones, Keith Richards ALIVE, them sounding so fine, the joy of being there and being around other joyful people. It's better to enjoy it while you can because in a few years when they aren't going to tour anymore, you are going to be wishing you had the routine setlists to whine about.

"Well this could be the last time
This could be the last time
Maybe the last time
I don’t know. oh no. oh no"

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: March 7, 2006 09:21

That's precisely the point. Say, Keith's fingers will prohibit him to play, 10 years from now,
anything but Satisfaction and slide guitar. Wouldn't it be regarded as a shame then that
he didn't play more songs he liked while he was still able to do so (i.e. now)?

I am not saying the Stones shows are bad or not enjoyable. I am just saying they could easily do better. They could rotate their selection of ABB-songs, for instance. Why not? Lazy? Afraid of the audience reaction?? No longer as flexible as in earlier years (as T&A suggests)?

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 7, 2006 09:47

Does my memory fail me by remembering that Mick Jagger said they would do some rarities and rarely played songs when they announced the tour at a press conference?

Posted by: Manhattan ()
Date: March 7, 2006 09:54

Sway, Far Away Eyes and As Tears Go By sure sound like rarities/rarely played to me anyway.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 7, 2006 10:06

LOGIE Wrote:
> For those of you who think that the same setlist
> is great, night after night, am I correct in
> assuming that you all stay at home most nights
> listening to 40 Licks, and nothing else.
>
> After all, why bother with variety?
>
>

you are so f wrong

1) I listen to everything everywhere everytime the stones recorded
2) I listen to many other things besides the stones
3) I am not so moved by a setlist because I think you have to see concert live to judge the quality (exactly what the first poster of this thread did not)
4) I am not american so I've seen them only twice (that is only 2 JJF or SMU live)
5) I don't think that a rare number played once is a good thing for a stones concert because probably it will be a very cautious and "as on record" version (that is, I like they put a "rare song" like Sway in the rotation and played some times so it gets in the flow)
6) I have seen them this year thru the Internet (rio and buenos aires), highlights of the Rio show were IORR, HTW, SFTD and Satisfaction, highlight of Buenos Aires was the people

have a nice day

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 7, 2006 14:16

MicksBrain Wrote:
> 1cdog, with all due respect, I can't speak for
> others but personally I've seen every tour on the
> West Coast since my first one as a very small tike
> at the LA Forum in 1969. 2 in '72/ 1 in '73
> (benefit)/ 2 in '75 - 1st and last Forum show/ 2
> in '78 - both Anaheim Shows/ 2 in '81/ 2 in '89/ 1
> in '94/ 1 in '97/ 2 in '99 - both Pond shows.After
> that it's been DVD's and CD's (legit and boot)
> plus checking out set lists on IORR. The thing
> about ALL those tours was they always had plenty
> of great surprises/new songs for us hard core
> fans. When they played the '69 show "Let it Bleed"
> was still weeks away from being released yet they
> still played 3 new songs off of it (Love in Vain,
> Rambler, Live With Me) and the audience went nuts.
> It's sad to see them finally loose so much
> interest in the shows were they really don't play
> anything special except for a few rare ones
> (meaning never played live from Mick Taylor on). A
> couple "Sways" and a few "As Tears Go By" is all
> they can muster up? It's a sign, they're loosing
> interest. Happens to everybody sooner or later and
> we just have to accept it..... If you had seen
> those early shows you'd think these shows suck
> too, believe me....

Losing interest/apathy whatever you want to call it.......at some point be it in a career or a tour probably does set in.

From the 3 shows I have seen in person on this tour the guys appear to really be enjoying themselves on stage. I don't see a lack of excitement or enjoyment.

If what you want is 6 or 7 new songs EVERY night and those to be rarities then they need several days between shows to rehearse those new tunes in order to play them onstage. Not likely to happen on a world tour. Let's be realistic. Have the Stones in all of their touring history ever played 6 or 7 new songs/rarites each night?

BTW Brain was your last Stones concert in 1999?

I have to stand by my comments. By and large the most negativity that I have seen/heard regarding the ABB tour and the Licks tour tends to come from folks that have not attended any of the shows. And when you call'm out on it they really get pissed.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home