Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hand of Fate
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 5, 2006 00:57

Here's a Rooster-like post for ya; I absolutely love Hand of Fate. Musicality aside, the lyrics really seal the deal here. "My luck is up, my chips are down . . ."

One of the most poetic Stones' songs ever. Am I right?

Re: Hand of Fate
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 5, 2006 01:05

For some reason that very line gave me goose bumps when I saw them preform that song on the Paris DVD on Four flicks.

Posted by: stonesbernard ()
Date: March 5, 2006 03:42

Definately one of the greatest songs in my opinion !

Posted by: rocksoffKR ()
Date: March 5, 2006 03:48

yeah fantastic song, great lyrics...through it in the set list chuck

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 5, 2006 03:59

I like the lyrics a lot, although they are hard to hear/understand on the studio version. Musically it is good but nothing special in my opinion. It was a nice change of pace when they performed it '97; it's always good to hear something different. I prefer Crazy Mama to this one.

Date: March 5, 2006 05:16

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
. It was a nice change of pace when they performed it
> '97;

Don't think HOF was performed in 97

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 5, 2006 05:38

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-05 12:27 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 5, 2006 06:53

If anyone has that Paris '03 mp3, please post. One of my favorite songs...

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: March 5, 2006 11:42

I've always liked 'Hand Of Fate' especially Mick's gruff vocals on the studio version. I think the combination of this song and 'Hot Stuff' really make for a great opening to 'Black And Blue'. I do think Mick's singing on the original is important though - without the gruffness it's only half the song.

Posted by: spearshaker ()
Date: March 5, 2006 11:47

Hand of Fate is a brilliant, fantastic song, ranking up there with their all-time classics, IMHO,

HOWEVER,

for some reason Mick doesn't seem to like it in the setlist, and the live versions I've heard don't completely work.

They're not able to replicate the groove on the record - Licks DVD is an example of this...

Now if only they would work up a live version of She Was Hot...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 5, 2006 13:34

Bring it back, boys! Was great to have it in 2003, why not in 2006? Also love "If you can't rock me". Would be a perfect opener IMO : "The band's on stage, it's one of thoes nights"....

Date: March 5, 2006 13:38

Great lyrics, even better guitar riff....they need to toss out "hand of Fate" or "Hey Negrita" live

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: March 5, 2006 21:33

Love Hand of Fate! MEZ

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 5, 2006 21:44

nikkibong Wrote:
> Here's a Rooster-like post for ya; I absolutely
> love Hand of Fate. Musicality aside, the lyrics
> really seal the deal here. "My luck is up, my
> chips are down . . ."
>
> One of the most poetic Stones' songs ever. Am I
> right?

Here s aRooster -like answer....loveee!!!!!!!!!!!The Hand of Fate...Im on the run...wish me luck...I need it child!!One of my favs...thats for sure...must think of that bonnie&clyde road movie!!!!Nice one..

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 5, 2006 23:00

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 01:40 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 5, 2006 23:02

Hand Of Fate and Crazy Mama are dripping with Stones swagger.......love those guitar riff rockers

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 5, 2006 23:44

reading through the lyrics, i'm again struck by the poetic beauty. rarely see that anymore . . . lyrically, Mick has been washed up since Dirty Work IMO

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 6, 2006 00:24

Agree wholeheartedly -- 'Hand of Fate' is exquisite!

The wonderful 'on the run/outlaw' lyrics,the primal basic riff,that glorious solo(Wayne Perkins?),plus,it's off one of my favourite stones albums,the much under-rated but quite excellent & groovy 'Black and Blue'.

The album itself has been mentioned in interviews as a particular favourite of ex-Gunner Izzy Stradlin',Motley Crue Main man Nikki Sixx,Rich Robinson from the Crowes,and of course,in the late '80's Keef himself professed a growing love of it's grooves*

Posted by: munich-hilton ()
Date: March 6, 2006 00:41

best version of hand of fate for me is June 6; 76 in Paris, that was the show when Keith` daughter died just a few hours before the show and they didn`t cancelled the show, hand of fate was definitely on him and he never played this song so hard as this night. one of the historic shows defintely

Date: March 6, 2006 21:55

Me thinks Gun-face is the daughter of''Hand of Fate''!!Good post!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 6, 2006 21:58

Funny that I thought they did a pretty fair job on this at the Orpheum '02 gig early in the tour - but they never quite seemed to nail after that....

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: March 7, 2006 00:34

spearshaker Wrote:

> Now if only they would work up a live version of
> She Was Hot...

It ain't possible cause Ian ain't there anymore ;-).
Great great song though... but the piano must be played extremely well.

O yeah, and I vote for a real piano on stage instead of the fake piano (keyboards). It would give so much more dimension to the songs. Maybe even Chuck would sound / play better on a real piano.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 7, 2006 01:58

Part of the beauty of the B&B version is the tempo. It's very lazy. Difficult to do that live when the adrenaline is pumping!

Date: March 7, 2006 02:14

RnT Wrote:
> Part of the beauty of the B&B version is the
> tempo. It's very lazy. Difficult to do that live
> when the adrenaline is pumping!

Its lazy.....But Jagger is wild and angstriddden...the song that had to be in '''good fella s'' but wosnt Love the percusion....ollie brown...Wayne Perkinssolo was love at first sight.On the end Mick..is..making it rough...like Bobby Bland!!!Man this is..the on the run..R&r song of all times!!!I mean I love ''Born to Run""from Springsteen!But it is almost like disney...compared to the on the run for evil''''Hand of fate''!!!You are right...Slow down.sing hard!!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 7, 2006 03:30

I used to play this one at rehearsals with my band. I noticed that the end, on drums, are about the same as on "If You Can't Rock Me". It changes in a way, that I can't explain in English, but in a very cool way.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 7, 2006 04:25

I love the version on Four Flicks. Who can post an mp3 of that performance? I only have it on DVD.

Date: March 7, 2006 05:30

The best Licks versions are Boston,L.A.,and Stockholm if I recall correctly.I know for sure that the Paris Four Flicks version was far from the best - a little editing had to be done in an attempt to cover it up.I also have to mention the Frankfurt '76 soundboard which has great versions of four Black and Blue songs including an excellent Hand Of Fate.I also like If You Can't Rock Me and All Down The Line from that cd.Hand Of Fate was rehearsed for this tour also so,hopefully we can expect to hear it in the summer and/or the fall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home