Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The American Rolling Stones...
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:05

Well, the closest thing we've got anyway - The J. Geils Band.

Lots of similarities - love of blues and r'n'b, great party music, charismatic singer, cool guitar player, band members have great names (Peter Wolf, Magic Dick, J. Geils, etc.), excellent live, and just plain sound good.

I miss 'em!

Re: The American Rolling Stones...
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:07

You also have JJ Gale

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:09

I saw J.Geils band on the Still Life tour at Wembley. Great stuff. Love Centerfold.

Date: February 28, 2006 21:12

I got to see 'em at the Fox in Atlanta in 1979 - excellent. Lots of energy. Would have loved to have seen them with the Stones (this tour!)

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:13

Van Halen!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:13

I would say Lynard Skynard
twin guitars, great piano, charasmatic singer
they don't get a lot of respect but I like them

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:15

NY Dolls then
and Lucinda Willimas now.
J Geils sure was a tough band though. What I liked about them was that they had all posts manned. All six of them were tops; no faceless memebrs back there.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:17

Whatever happened to those guys? When did they break up and are any of them still recording and/or touring?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:23

What about Aerosmith? Are we done talking about them?

Elmo, I saw J.Geils as the warm up band for Peter Frampton at Hampton, VA in 1977. It was Peter Wolf's birthday and they had some champagne on stage to celebrate. Frampton had a tough act to follow. I think I fell asleep during "I'm In You."

Date: February 28, 2006 21:23

Peter Wolf pops up verey now and then. Or he will put out a solo album. If he is not already doing it, Wolf should go get him a show on Sirius like Steve Jones or Miami Steve. He would be perfect as the allknowing DJ with the deep knowledge and the Cred.
I have also seen Seth J play with a different band not too long ago.
Magic Dick does session stuff because Is ee his name on albums.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:24

There are NO American Rolling Stones. Jesus, what do you think?
America has other potential like Greatful Dead, CSNY, and so many unheard country/blues guys and girls which we just can dream of back in Europe.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:25

Black Crows

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:58

Neil Young once said that Crazy Horse was the American Rolling Stones but as much as I love Neil and the Horse I have to disagree with his view. So, who are the American Rolling Stones? Me and my mates whenever we get together to jam of course!

Date: February 28, 2006 22:19

lodge, please read my first post - Well, the closest thing we've got anyway.

I know that our boys are unique (to say the least).

livewithme mentioned Lynyrd Skynyrd. I'm from the South so I have a soft spot for these guys. I think their image would have been a lot different if not for the plane crash. Street Survivors showed them moving in new directions. That said - Ronnie Van Zant is a member of the southern trinity along with Elvis and Dale Earnhardt. Please note that all Skynyrd fans aren't mullet-sporting, Camaro-drivin', wife-beater wearing rednecks. Just most of us.winking smiley

Update per request of Lukester!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-28 22:31 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 28, 2006 22:26

Ha ha about the mullets, Elmo (and don't forget the wife beater shirts)...It was a sad day when the Free Bird went down.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 28, 2006 22:26

I saw Magic Dick a few weeks ago with some other top-notch harp players in a "harmonica blowout" in Oakland. Sounded good, although I've never really considered him a true master of the instrument.

Date: February 28, 2006 22:27

I really like Mick and Keith's work (along with Steve Earle) on Sleepless by Peter Wolf. Good stuff.

Date: February 28, 2006 22:39

Man i HATE these harmonica blowouts with a passion. I guess if there is one instrument that sounds better and better the less you know about playing it, it's the harmonica. That is why I actually like Magic Dick pretty well. He howls, much like Jagger does.
IMO Jagger was always much better than Brian on harp. Brian could probably play Jagger undre the table, but it was all perfect single notes. Jagger though...he gets that ominous echoey howling going; all bends.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 28, 2006 23:27

Ran in to Peter Wolf outside Fenway last August, took me a couple of seconds before my brain clicked..smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Bomber ()
Date: February 28, 2006 23:33

Aerosmith

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: February 28, 2006 23:35

J. Geils is a great choice. Saw them in NJ back in '77-78 and they were great. They got pop and soft with Centerfold/Freeze Frame. Want the real J. Geils-buy the double live album 'BLOW YOUR FACE OUT' Aand turn it UP!

Van Halen with DLR is another good band.

Aerosmith - sorry

But what about CCR?
This is my opinion the greatest American band ever. Timeless hits like the Stones. Great lyrics, great guitars. R&B, Rock, ballads.

Then there the Allman Brothers Band which can be tossed in as the best.
George Thorogood??

Tom in NC

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 28, 2006 23:39

Black Crowes.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: February 28, 2006 23:41

Bon Jovi.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: February 28, 2006 23:54

Reptile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Van Halen!

You are @#$%& kidding!!! Right.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: February 28, 2006 23:57

J. Geils Band , luv those 1st 2 albums , seen them many many times , wolf & jagger good friends , stones & geils posed 4 a nice pic back in 82 @ that concert they shared

Date: March 1, 2006 00:00

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man i HATE these harmonica blowouts with a
> passion. I guess if there is one instrument that
> sounds better and better the less you know about
> playing it, it's the harmonica.

One of the oddest thing I've ever heard. You mean to tell me you wouldn't pay top dollar to hear these guys play in a "fantasy blowout" (in their respective primes, mind you):

Sonny Boy II
Little Walter
Big Walter
James Cotton

...just to name some of the greats? I would give my left nut for such a chance. The blues harp is one of the finest ways to express my favorite music idiom.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: March 1, 2006 00:11

J. Geils were one of my favourites in high scool. They used to play 2500 seat arenas and I remember them bringing people up on stage. Full House is one of the greatest live albums of all time, bar none, any band.

Great to see them open up for the Stones in Candlestick Park 1981.

Date: March 1, 2006 00:57

Yes but T&A wouldn't you say that Lil Walter eg is from the Jagger school of harp (actually it is the other way around; Jagger being the disciple). I guess when I was making the point it was the same as saying that I prefer Keith's "non-proficiency" on the guitar when compared to the supposed "proficiency" on guitar of Satriani.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 1, 2006 01:03

I'm gonna say the Raw Power-era Stooges were the American Rolling Stones,at least back then-great riffage,honky tonk piano,amazing frontman,genuine danger.But as for J. Geils,that's a fine choice too.Saw them open for the Stones in Seattle '81 and they were brilliant.Whenever my friends and I start to get in our cups Blow Your Face Out or Full House get aired.

Date: March 1, 2006 01:05

well, yeah, I get that point. And, I'll assume you're a knowledgeable student of the instrument (I consider myself a very educated student, by the by)....Jagger is a third-rate harp player compared to Little Walter, who was a monster/master of nuance and technique. That's not a criticism of Mick's playing so much as it is a testament to Walter's prowess. If you're saying you'd rather hear MJ play harp than Little Walter....well, I don't know what to tell you. That's like saying you'd rather eat a greasey cheeseburger than a filet mignon....

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2018
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home