Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith Richards: Pics and Quotes
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:05

"The Rolling Stones destroy people at an alarming rate. Something about us makes them come face-to-face with themselves, sometimes for the better, sometimes in the worst possible way."

Re: Keith Richards: Pics and Quotes
Date: February 24, 2006 17:14

On recording "Satisfaction"

Keith woke up in a Clearwater hotel on the morning of May 9th, 1965 with the riff from "Satisfaction" swirling through his head. As legend has it, Keith immediately recorded the riff on a cassette player he kept at bedside, and the rest is history.

"You can hear me drop the pick and the rest of the tape is me snoring," says Keith. "The only way I found it again was, the next morning I checked out my gear, and the tape was at the wrong end. It had played all the way through."

Date: February 24, 2006 17:25

On the famous ring:

He wears a Totenkopf ring portraying a human skull without a jaw, a gift from a friend and New York jeweler, although he has said publicly that it represents the fact that "beauty is only skin deep."

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:45

The Sicilian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > On the famous ring:
>
> He wears a Totenkopf ring portraying a human
> skull without a jaw, a gift from a friend and New
> York jeweler, although he has said publicly that
> it represents the fact that "beauty is only skin
> deep."

I thought he said that he wears it to remind himself that underneath it all, we're all the same.

Date: February 24, 2006 18:13

On Dating:

"Get it all while you can pal. I've never dated anyhow; I just jumped on it. Is that called dating? Well there it is. But Dear Abby I am not, you know? Just get lucky pal."

Date: February 24, 2006 18:29

More from Keith on the origin of the ring:

"I can't remember exactly when, although it was somewhere in the 70's. Who made it? A great friend of mine, David Courts, who is a great jeweler. I mean I know its a luxury in this life to have your own personal jeweler, but there it is. He's the sort of guy you can say, "Hey Dave, I've got an idea for something" And just give him the rough sketch and leave it to him, and then I'll forget about it, and then a few months later he'll come back and say, "Here it is." You know, oh great, you know? But the reason I got it basically to remind me that beauty is only skin deep, and this is what we all look like. Black, white, yellow, green, blue, this is us. Thank you for reminding me, because the teeth have gotten worn out, I've got to get it back to David to get some more teeth put in. They're soft, you know, silver."

Date: February 24, 2006 21:23

On some songs he played bass on:

"Hard to remember all. Happy, Sympathy For The Devil, Street Fighting Man, Jumping Jack Flash, and a whole load more. But I mean, those are starters. But there are many others as well."

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:44

Keith on the Internet:

"I've been playing with it and done a few internet interviews,but I'd rather leave it to my kids.
I'm just not interested what other arseholes at the other end of the world think about this or that.
Apart from that, it's no good for your body or your eyes to sit at the computer all day."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 25, 2006 00:26

ROCKMAN

Date: February 25, 2006 01:57

Check out this site for some good Keith pics.

[www.rexfeatures.com]

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: February 25, 2006 02:48

Haven"t we seen and heard theses before?

Date: February 25, 2006 04:49

On Jim Morrison visiting the Stones in Paris and helping to come up with the title "Exile On Main Street"

"It's a bullshit story. Yeah. We called it "Exile On Main Street" because they just kicked us out of England. And I mean we never did meet Jim. We were recording in the south of France, Jim was in Paris, where they buried him. You know--there goes another one."

Date: February 25, 2006 05:14

On early struggles with Brian Jones:

"I had a lot of trouble in those days, and I nearly didn't even get in the Stones because I insisted on banging out Chuck Berry songs. "We don't want no rock n roll round here he'd say." But I got through that one pretty quick."

Date: February 26, 2006 06:33

On John Lennon:

"I think he used to come around to see me, so just sort of to be one of the Stones for a night and not be one of the Beatles...I mean we were just great mates."

Date: February 26, 2006 07:17

Gibson Les Paul Standard Keith Richards, " Get Your Ya Ya's Out"

Recently acquired, a very famous Les Paul, originally purchased by Keith in 1968! Back then it was a 68 Goldtop with soapbar pickups.

Keith had the guitar converted to a 58 flame top complete with genuine 58 PAFS. There were quite a few artists doing this in the day all of them understanding that the guitars built just 10yrs prior to their current guitar were infinitely better. Of course, the reason Les Paul Burst's are so valuable now is back in 1960 no one really cared & the demand was simply not there so Gibson discontinued the guitar. The early Les Pauls were simply not around to be bought so many Artists has similar conversions done.

The guitar has a 58 serial number, and is the very Les Paul that featured on the front of the Rolling Stones album "Get Your Ya Ya's Out"

Although it is now faded you can clearly see the original line of the burst edging, the Tuners were also changed for the more reliable Grovers, we have the original Klusons in the Grover box.

The guitar was used extensively between 1968 & 1972 & on to 1975 when Keith traded the guitar to Cosmos from "The Heavy Metal Kids"

1968 to 1972 was a pretty turbulent time for the Stones, Brian dies, Mick Taylor came onboard & so on, this guitar was certainly played by Brian, Mick & Keith during this time.

Keith Richards owned the guitar until 1975 when he traded it with Cosmos for a 59 Gibson Flying V. Cosmos immediately sold the guitar to Frank Fabiewski back stage at the Stones Super Dome gig in New Orleans 1975, the deal was witnessed by Leon Wilkerson from "Lynard Skynard" a personal friend of Keith Richards & of Frank Fabiewski. The guitar was handed over by Keith & Cosmos backstage at Madison Square Gardens in 1975.

Date: February 26, 2006 07:23

More on John Lennon:

"For some reason he always felt he had to party harder than me. Which is a very difficult thing to do, especially in those days."

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 26, 2006 13:51

... that Maverick description is the one that's deemed totally bogus, right?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 26, 2006 21:45

ROCKMAN

Date: March 7, 2006 00:31

This was a two page photo in Harpers Bazaar from a few years back, and it was too big for my scanner, so I had to do a cut and paste. If anyone wants to try to do a better job, let me know and I'll send you each page on a separate file. It's a great photo. Too bad Anita are not it in tho. She and Patti are friendly I understand. Perhaps she was just busy at the time. I think Lucie was pregnant with Orson at the time.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 7, 2006 00:48

This is one of my favourite pictures, from Los Angeles 1972.
It had some "copyright-letters" written over it, but I used good old paintbrush, to take them away. If you look closely, perhaps you'll notce)
(click for full size)

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: March 7, 2006 00:54

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police".

Date: March 7, 2006 01:52

Cindy,

Can you imagine Keith and the family showing up at Sears for a photo shoot.

Date: March 7, 2006 02:39

Check this cyberbible with that PICS AND QUOTES [www.rocksoff.org]

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 7, 2006 02:45

too bad if you missed it...]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 03:03 by stone-relics.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 7, 2006 03:12

Now I'm curious, one more minute??? Pleeeeez?

Date: March 7, 2006 11:55

CindyC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it was too big for my scanner,
> so I had to do a cut and paste. If anyone wants
> to try to do a better job, let me know and I'll
> send you each page on a separate file.

great photo indeed, CindyC - thank you! what issue (or year) was that?
and your cut & paste is well done, but i'd love to see a larger version of the two pages -
the only barrier is that we both have our email addresses hidden. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 7, 2006 11:59

Wonderful poster, Cindy!!!
Could ya maybe type what´s written in text for us?

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 7, 2006 12:09

Can anybody please tell me poor ignorant who are all the ladies on that pic??

I know Patti, Theo and Alex (I never know which one is each one, but...), and the old lady which I suppose is Mama Doris. THen there is that guy who I think is Marlon. Who are the other two chicks and the little baby??

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: March 7, 2006 12:19

Lucie (the lady in front of Marlon and Alex) is Marlon's wife; the little girl must be their daughter Ella Rose.
Angela (ex Dandelion) is the dark-haired lady on the left, next to Theo.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 12:21 by with sssoul.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 7, 2006 12:22

Thanks, With Sssoul!

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home