Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: what do you think of Green day?
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 24, 2006 15:07

Bought a cd. Might be fun going to a concert once.

Re: OT: what do you think of Green day?
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 24, 2006 15:20

not a lot

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 24, 2006 15:24

ok, if you're an acne-ridden 15 year old boy.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 24, 2006 15:32

Adrian-L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok, if you're an acne-ridden 15 year old boy.

Nope

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: February 24, 2006 16:37

I like them, but I do happen to be 15. I don't think age matters though, I know plenty of older people who like them. Their fun and have tons of energy. I think the American Idiot album has been a bit overplayed, not that it isn't a good album. Dookie and Nimrod are great too. Their no Stones, not even close, but their not offensive to the ears either.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: February 24, 2006 16:43

neither fish nor flesh, too soft for a punkband, not interesting enough for a rockband, not talented enough for anything else

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:06

I just threw up in my mouth.

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:07

Their CDs come in handy when I run out of TP.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:30

theyre fine if you still think it's 1979

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:44

I never really cared too much for them, but I did think the song Holiday was great. It was really overplayed as mentioned above, but I still listen to that one at least once/twice a day.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:46

I liked them when I was 12, that was when "Dookie" came out.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:48

I've never liked them.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:53

Bubblegum music

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 24, 2006 17:54

Pale copies of the real stuff; which I reckon would be punk rock. Sorry.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: February 24, 2006 18:01

boysband

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 24, 2006 18:27

I don't like their politics and I'm not much for their records, but their live show is terrifically entertaining. I took my 46 year old wife to see them last spring and she loved 'em. Ended up playing "International Superhits" all summer in her convertible.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 24, 2006 19:25

Great band - one of my favorites, actually. I've loved 'em since 1991, when my shitty old punk band played on the same bill as them. As soon as I heard them, I was blown away because they had mastered the sound that I was trying to get my own band to even approximate. They always got a lot of crap for wearing their influences on their sleeve, and since American Idiot got so huge that crap has increased exponentially, but they're far more varied and interesting than most people give them credit for. They're no Stones by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll take 'em over U2 or any of that emo crap out there any day as far as current rock bands selling records are concerned.

Here's my guide to Green Day, for those who are interested:

1039/Slappy (1991)- collection of their early singles & EPs - there's a lot of crap on there but a few gems. Interesting to hear their sound come together but pretty primitive overall.

Kerplunk (1992) - the best of the early stuff. Some of the catchiest hooks I've ever heard.

Dookie (1994) - major label debut - basically a more polished, bigger-budget Kerplunk, though not as good. Sold 9 million copies and effectively ended the Flannel Era. They should have received the Congressional Medal Of Honor for that alone.

Insomniac (1995) - Much harsher musically and lyrically than anything to this point. Deals with the Dookie backlash. Lots of great hooks and big choruses delivered with pure bile and venom.

Nimrod (1997) - Most remembered for that @#$%& awful "Time Of Your Life" song, but their best album. Almost like their Exile in that they explore their roots/influences over the course of 18 songs - it's a big, messy hodge-podge of styles that somehow manages to form a cohesive album. Lots of classic Green Day punk-pop with some forays into surf, ska, hardcore, and mid-'60s British Invasion-style stuff. The sound is overall much more dynamic as they back off a little-bit from the full-throttle guitar/drum attack that had dominated their sound up to this point.

Warning (2000) - A very weird, subdued record - it's like an homage to the Kinks. Lots of jangly electrics and acoustics all over the place but very stripped down overall. Takes the more '60s side of Nimrod and runs with it. They also start getting political with "Warning" and "Minority", which leads to . . .

American Idiot (2004) - Not as good as the hype would lead you to believe, but a pretty ballsy record nevertheless on a few levels. They were the first major band to give a big "@#$%& you" on record to the Bush Admin., and who the hell puts out a rock opera these days? It's pretty overblown and cringe-worthingly pretentious at times, but I give them credit for embracing the concept 100% and running with it. They also temper some of the more indulgent moments with some classic, hook-heavy tracks that could come from any point in their career. Professor TCB here gives them an A for effort, even if the record is only a B-.

OK - getting off my soapbox now!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 24, 2006 19:39

dreadful

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 24, 2006 19:40

Green Day is one of the few bands that makes me furious, upset and tired of life. So obnoxious, yet boring and fake.

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: February 24, 2006 19:43

They are baby-punk
but they can be entertaining live

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: February 24, 2006 20:32

mtv crap

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: February 24, 2006 20:36

Green Day and the Stones are the only 2 bands that can fill stadiums that I actually like. Though completely derivative, Green Day rock and put on a fantastic show.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 24, 2006 20:45

i tried listening to Green Day.......but wound up listening to the Ramones and the early Clash

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 24, 2006 21:32

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:38 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 24, 2006 22:17

A Green Day...well I'm all for anything that saves trees and forests.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: monkeygripglue ()
Date: February 24, 2006 22:21

why would this even come up?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 24, 2006 22:30

Billy Joe has became as self-important as Bono.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 24, 2006 22:37

My 15yo son used to like them quite a bit but seems to have outgrown them already. He didn't get into American Idiot all that much...which is apparantly about as good as they get.

My 23 yo wore the Dookie album out when he was about 12. I got a kick out of it!

They seem like a great band for the kids but not my taste at all!

Ross

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:47

seen em live. great band. listen to the latest album and you can't call it bubblegum.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: February 25, 2006 00:11

I'm not big on them and yet I don't think they majorly blow. But I will admit, they do have a lot of energy. Just my 2 cents. smiling smiley

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home