Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: what do you think of Green day?
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 29, 2021 17:42

There a fun band live!
Was at their epic set at Woodstock 1994

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 29, 2021 19:00

Elmo Lewis
Billy Joe has became as self-important as Bono.

thumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 29, 2021 19:03

This is the only Green Day good song:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: May 29, 2021 20:25

I saw Green Day about 20 years ago live in concert. I remember it as a good concert.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 29, 2021 21:03

I enjoy a couple of songs i.e. Long View, Nice Guys finish last, Hitching a Ride, Holiday but I don't know if I'd picked up on that if it wasn't for the fact that when I was about 16, every girl around the world seemed to obsess about Blvd of broken Dreams. You had to adapt.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 29, 2021 21:05

I wouldn't consider them punk as they broke big during a time when "big pop" co-opted punk, there's nothing punk about that

Date: May 29, 2021 21:21

Some bands only need a few songs to make their point.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 29, 2021 23:49

Baby’s first punk band.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 30, 2021 00:21

When they were hitting it big on MTV in the early '90's, I always thought the singer/guitar player was a Joe Strummer wannabe/poser.
Haven't really thought much about them at all since then.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 30, 2021 03:37

They write catchy, high-energy rock/pop-punk. Dookie is a 90’s classic. Fun band.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 30, 2021 12:07

Dookie and Insomniac are terrific. Their second album, however, Kerplunk, is definitely worth a listen. Billy Joe Armstrong is an excellent guitarist, too. In my opinion, his playing isn’t noted enough.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 30, 2021 23:06

Overall, I can't stand the singer's whiny, nasally, voice. i.e. songs like When I Come Around, Good Riddance, Longview. But there are 2 songs I do like by them: Holiday and Know Your Enemy.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 31, 2021 02:27

My wife and I have been fans of Green Day ever since their song was used in the TV drama ER.

Their concert at the big tent in Shibuya, Tokyo reminded me of Dead Kennedys I saw a long time ago at Whisky a Go Go.
Incidentally, Billy Joe is playing "I fought the law" in his recent solo album like Dead Kennedys and The Clash.

I was very surprised when Green Day played Rip This Joint on Jimmy Fallon Show.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 31, 2021 22:52

tatters
As a general rule, I don't cotton to Americans who insist on singing in a British accent.

Do you like Brits who sing in country accents?

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: June 1, 2021 04:45

NashvilleBlues
tatters
As a general rule, I don't cotton to Americans who insist on singing in a British accent.

Spot on. thumbs up

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 1, 2021 05:31

Everybody hates everybody Too bad.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 6, 2021 13:38

NashvilleBlues
tatters

Yes, very much so! grinning smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 6, 2021 16:34

I used to like them but I've kind of lost interest. Once in awhile I listen to them and usually end up switching to something else.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 6, 2021 17:55

Dreadful

Rod

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: June 6, 2021 18:02

They were a punk band when they started. They became a more conventional rock band when they added the 2nd guitar player. Armstrong is a good song writer. I enjoy many of their songs.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 6, 2021 18:44

Why do you even ask this question on this Forum? We remember Dookie from 25-30 years ago, and we're vaguely aware that Green Day has released American Idiot and continues to release new albums, been on Broadway, won Grammy awards, headlines festivals and plays stadiums, has been inducted into the RR Hall of Fame and so forth, but we really only know Dookie so to us they're a snotty pop punk band and their fans are 15 years old.

Obviously, none of us here actually care about music released in the last 30-40 years. Our favorite band hasn't released an album of new material in over 15 years (think about it - the same period of time as from England's Newest Hitmakers to Emotional Rescue!). Please don't start these kinds of threads so that we can focus on things that matter, like what happened to Nicky Cramer, the hippie who was at the Redlands drug bust in 1967?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-06 18:49 by drbryant.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 6, 2021 23:23

I don't mind Green Day, a few good songs. I've only got their first album and not sure if I would pay to see them in concert. A good Youtube vid is Billie Joe playing with his two kids doing I Think We're Alone Now.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 7, 2021 03:13

Saw about 30 seconds at Lolla 94 then laid down in the poetry tent until L7 came on.

However saw The Longshot at the Redwood a few years ago and that was most excellent.

Will probably go to Dodger Stadium if Kevin Preston from Prima Donna is on 2nd guitar.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 7, 2021 17:33

I've never owned any of their albums, but oddly enough I do have the album he did with Norah Jones (never owned any of her other albums either). I think it's all Everly Brothers covers...and it actually works quite well. Was interesting to hear him sing that way vs. the Green Day way, not to be confused with the Blue Jay Way.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: June 8, 2021 21:07

Green Day are the sort of band kids get into before they discover the good stuff.

They are a good introduction to better things for 13 year olds who want to escape the trash in the charts.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 8, 2021 22:22

strat72
Green Day are the sort of band kids get into before they discover the good stuff.

They are a good introduction to better things for 13 year olds who want to escape the trash in the charts.

I’m sensing that, somewhere, there’s a compliment buried amongst your words!

One point about Green Day that I note: their audience doesn’t tend to ‘grow’ with them. They have a tendency to replenish their fan-base like no other: fifteen-year-old’s liked them in ‘94; the same age group - the kids of those fans in ‘94 - are listening to them today; whilst those fans from ‘94 are no-longer interested and have long moved on. The Stones garnered ‘fresh’ fans well into the 70’s, but it obviously dried-up after, I’d say, Some Girls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-08 22:24 by Big Al.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 8, 2021 23:05

strat72

Yeah and GD or the RHCP are very good vehicles for that.
And both bands have a good, propulsive drummer.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 13, 2021 01:10

strat72

Yup that’s the hope alright. This scene made me laugh when I saw it first:

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 13, 2021 01:43

They’re a great band and tremendous live

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 13, 2021 07:13

dcba
strat72

Yeah and GD or the RHCP are very good vehicles for that.
And both bands have a good, propulsive drummer.

Chad Smith from RHCP is an excellent drummer. Not really a fan of their music but I saw him with Chickenfoot in Vancouver, their second concert ever, first being in Seattle a couple nights prior. Seen Satriani twice prior and also Hagar and Anthony 3 times prior with VH. Very impressed with Smith.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1196
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home