Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Your Favorite "relatively unknown" Bands
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 5, 2021 16:49

BlackBerry Smoke. Not super wellkown with the image of a redneck band but the reality they are a fantastic American band who are able to write great songs. They are very close to Lynyrd Skynyrd,and Allman Brothers, right there at the top.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2021 16:56

The Gun Club!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 5, 2021 17:57

Tinsley Ellis
Cheap Trick

Date: January 5, 2021 17:58

rollmops
BlackBerry Smoke. Not super wellkown with the image of a redneck band but the reality they are a fantastic American band who are able to write great songs. They are very close to Lynyrd Skynyrd,and Allman Brothers, right there at the top.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Damn right, great band

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 5, 2021 18:06

British group Goat Girl opened for Parquet Courts a couple years ago off their first album. Pop with a edge, no dud songs. Their sophomore release comes out 1/29, and as hoped it's more mature with better production but with the same swagger. First two singles are strong, I expect this to be better.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: January 5, 2021 18:08

X
The Blasters

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 6, 2021 02:04

don't know if it qualifies since there well known in japan but the flowers travelin' band is a pretty fun japanese band from the 60's and 70's
oh also the the mops and the spiders are also other japanese bands from the 60's that are fun not stellar transendent stuff put fun

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: January 6, 2021 10:35

Ducks Deluxe
Brinsley Schwartz
Count Bishops

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 6, 2021 11:14

I saw a band called The Hiss, from Georgia, opening up for Oasis in 2003. They were mega and the chic who played bass was amazing, looking like a young Tina Turner. I asked Andy Bell a couple of years later what had happpened to them and he told me they had split up.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: January 6, 2021 12:01

Mike Zito
Eric Sardinas
Larkin Poe
King King

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 6, 2021 12:23

Some popular British acts, such as, The Manic Street Preachers, are virtually unknown in the United States. This is almost criminal.

Date: January 6, 2021 12:45

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 6, 2021 12:51

talking to younger people (under 30) I realize that – from their point of view – Bob Dylan, CCR, ZZ Top etc are amongst "relative unknown" artists/bands. When I went to see Ronnie Wood in 2019 a younger colleague asked 'who?'

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 6, 2021 12:58

Levi Chen. Check him out. One of the GREATEST musicians of all time.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2021 12:59

Album of the year 2020: Laura Marling, Songs for our Daughter.

Mathijs

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 6, 2021 14:15

slewan
talking to younger people (under 30) I realize that – from their point of view – Bob Dylan, CCR, ZZ Top etc are amongst "relative unknown" artists/bands. When I went to see Ronnie Wood in 2019 a younger colleague asked 'who?'

Which is the way it should be, in my opinion. It's great that younger music fans are seeking-out what is contemporary. There's always time for the greats' of yesteryear. Circa 2001-2005, I was a regular NME-reader. Although I loved my dad's music, I was heavily interested and influenced by the, then, 'current' music-acts: Strokes, White Stripes, Libertines, The Killers, et al.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 6, 2021 18:20

JohnnyBGoode
Mike Zito
Eric Sardinas
Larkin Poe
King King

Have tickets to Larkin Poe when this Covid shitshow finally ends.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: January 6, 2021 18:56

Ween

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 6, 2021 22:40

Well he's certainly known around Nashville and with older country fans, but Buddy Miller is one of the most wonderful, versatile and "atmospheric," for lack of a better description...
... guitar player and writer favorite of my mine.
I've heard with quite a good rocking band too.
He's an amazing guitarist.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 6, 2021 23:31

hopkins
Well he's certainly known around Nashville and with older country fans, but Buddy Miller is one of the most wonderful, versatile and "atmospheric," for lack of a better description...

He is 68, so not new but immensely talented. He played with Robert Plant and Patty Griffin in Robert Plant's Band of Joy. Great stuff.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 6, 2021 23:49

daspyknows
hopkins

He is 68, so not new but immensely talented. He played with Robert Plant and Patty Griffin in Robert Plant's Band of Joy. Great stuff.

He was also in EmmyLou Harris's band for a long time.

Date: January 6, 2021 23:51

Elmo Lewis
rollmops
Rockandroll,
Mops

Damn right, great band

Agree with that! Have tickets to see them in July with Jaimoe and the Allman Betts Band. We'll see if it happens or not...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-07 00:00 by kovach.

Re: Your Favorite "relatively unknown" Bands
Date: January 6, 2021 23:56

Monkeytonkman
Here's some under appreciated rock bands for ya!

Danko Jones - holy shit, this is some of the best rock I've listened to for a long time. Dudes in the UK, make sure you check it out when they tour soon!

Quireboys - the reincarnation of the Faces. used to be called the 'Queerboys' till they decided to change their name.

Thunder - Damn, that dude can belt out a tune, Blues rock at its best

Beautiful Creatures - sleaze rock from the man who brought you Bang Tango!

this shit ROCKS. I command you all to go check out at least 3 of these bands!!!!

Are the Quireboys formerly the London Quireboys? If so I saw them back when they were touring for their first album, had a minor hit with a song called "7 O'clock" if I remember...

Date: January 6, 2021 23:57

Josh2131
The Music are great, so are Powerfinger.

A great CD is "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too" by the New Radicals. They have a definite Stone's influence.

Also check out Buckcherry. Great Stones and AC/DC influence, similar to the Black Crowes, but different. They have a great live energy.

Josh

Buckcherry is awesome live! Seen 'em twice.

Date: January 7, 2021 02:41

kovach
Monkeytonkman
Here's some under appreciated rock bands for ya!

Danko Jones - holy shit, this is some of the best rock I've listened to for a long time. Dudes in the UK, make sure you check it out when they tour soon!

Quireboys - the reincarnation of the Faces. used to be called the 'Queerboys' till they decided to change their name.

Thunder - Damn, that dude can belt out a tune, Blues rock at its best

Beautiful Creatures - sleaze rock from the man who brought you Bang Tango!

this shit ROCKS. I command you all to go check out at least 3 of these bands!!!!

Are the Quireboys formerly the London Quireboys? If so I saw them back when they were touring for their first album, had a minor hit with a song called "7 O'clock" if I remember...

Same band - very Faces sounding

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 7, 2021 02:42

kovach
Josh2131
The Music are great, so are Powerfinger.

A great CD is "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too" by the New Radicals. They have a definite Stone's influence.

Also check out Buckcherry. Great Stones and AC/DC influence, similar to the Black Crowes, but different. They have a great live energy.

Josh

Buckcherry is awesome live! Seen 'em twice.

And a great play on words - Chuck Berry

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 7, 2021 03:10

shocking blue, not well known and very underrated band from holland in the late 60,s and early 70,s.

mariska veres the lead singer had a fantastic voice and was a stunner when she was young, sadly shes no longer here.

and strawberry alarm clock a psychedelic band from the 60,s.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 7, 2021 03:42

resotele
Ducks Deluxe
Brinsley Schwartz
Count Bishops

thumbs up Nice! I have Ducks Deluxe and Brinsley Schwartz albums!
I knew of them of course from their relationship to Graham Parker/Rumour.
... I also have Rumour albums, with no Graham!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 28, 2021 21:18

ProfessorWolf
don't know if it qualifies since there well known in japan but the flowers travelin' band is a pretty fun japanese band from the 60's and 70's

I have just remembered — The Flower Travelin’ Band were to support The Rolling Stones on five consecutive nights at the Budokan in Tokyo, their aborted first appearances in Japan, which would have started on January 28, 1973, i.e. exactly 48 years ago from today.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home