Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shanghai April 8th?
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 2, 2006 19:20

Michael Davis has this date listed for Shanghai, on his website.
The March 14th show in NYC is also listed.

[www.hip-bonemusic.com]

Re: Shanghai April 8th?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 2, 2006 20:12

way cool! that city is a genuine trip -
i hope they really make it this time. :E

Date: February 2, 2006 22:52

I wonder if there will also be shows in Beijing and/or Hong Kong.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 2, 2006 22:54

So what will happen to Australia and New-Zealand.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 2, 2006 22:58

I live in the Asia Pacifc area. Rumour out here is that the Chinese government wants a bit more control over content then what they attempted on the Licks Tour. On that tour they basically handed out a list of 4-5 songs that could not be played ( and some , I could not see any reason why). Now they more or less want to to tell the Stones what they can play.

Rumours are rumours, no more or less. But for me the good thing is that they are often based on a grain of truth. I have heard about the suppposed Shanghai gig from more than one source. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but also think ticket sales MUST be announced soon. Many travellers will need to get VISAS etc.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 2, 2006 23:00

kahoosier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now
> they more or less want to to tell the Stones what
> they can play.

Cool, now let's all send our requests to the Chinese government grinning smiley

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: February 2, 2006 23:01

the nostalgia show rolls on . . .

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2006 23:20

kahoosier Wrote:
> I live in the Asia Pacifc area. Rumour out here is
> that the Chinese government wants a bit more
> control over content then what they attempted on
> the Licks Tour. On that tour they basically handed
> out a list of 4-5 songs that could not be played (
> and some , I could not see any reason why). Now
> they more or less want to to tell the Stones what
> they can play.

the scary thing is that the Stones will probably go along with that instead of telling them where to shove their demands.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 2, 2006 23:24

China is tough stuff. wasn't Beast of Burden one of the songs they were told they couldn't play there?
it made me wonder what the translations were conveying - maybe it was like the Coca-cola adverts that were supposed to say
"Coke adds life" but came out meaning "Coca-cola brings your ancestors back from the grave" ...

anyway i hope it works out a good way for the Stones - they've been wanting to play China for such a long time!
smile: one time when they were turned down - in the 90s i think - the reason given was that the Stones are "cultural pollution"
and Keith said: "yeah, that's the general idea." :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: hi1 ()
Date: February 3, 2006 02:50

I lived in China for a little over 2 years and I had purchased a ticvket for their show in Shanghai. I just hope that this time they will makie it. A lot of foreign stars have already performed in China. It would be quite incredible that the Stones would be the only band not performing in China. I will not be able to see them their but in Europe this summer. Got my ticket already. I wish them good luck and no matter what they will perform in Shanghai, The Stones performing in mainland China... that is worth the trip!

Date: February 3, 2006 19:36

Are the Rolling Stones headed to Shanghai?

There are strong rumors that four Englishmen in their 60s will strut what is left of their stuff on a stage somewhere in Shanghai this April. At this point they are still just rumors, but here are some reasons why Shanghaiist believes the Rolling Stones will bring their A Bigger Bang tour to our fair city this year (unless China’s “mysterious” disease du jour once again scares them away):

- A source within the local music industry told Shanghaiist that the Stones and a Chinese company had “signed on the dotted line” for a Shanghai performance (or performances) in 2006.

-The director of a Shanghai-based English-language training company confirmed that they had been offered the opportunity to sponsor the event by an unnamed Shanghai advertising company.

-An employee at one of Shanghai’s five-star hotels told Shanghaiist they were bidding on the rights to house the aged rockers.
-Call it a hunch.

As for an exact date, this site guesses April 8, three days after a confirmed show in Nagoya, Japan. If two months is just too long for you to wait, you can catch the Rolling Stones during halftime of Super Bowl XL on Monday morning.

(One Shanghai concert that is most definitely confirmed is James Brown, who makes even the Stones look young … except maybe Keith Richards. Go to Yunfeng Theater on Wednesday, February 22 to see if “Soul Brother No. 1” indeed does have “Oriental blood” flowing through his veins, as he claims in this interview.)

[www.shanghaiist.com]

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:13

Gazza Wrote:
> kahoosier Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I live in the Asia Pacifc area. Rumour out
> here is
> > that the Chinese government wants a bit more
> > control over content then what they attempted
> on
> > the Licks Tour. On that tour they basically
> handed
> > out a list of 4-5 songs that could not be
> played (
> > and some , I could not see any reason why).
> Now
> > they more or less want to to tell the Stones
> what
> > they can play.
>
> the scary thing is that the Stones will probably
> go along with that instead of telling them where
> to shove their demands.
>

Don't be so pessimistic.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:38

Shanghai April 8 sounds perfectly probable once you see the date. As close as you get to Tokyo. First stop going west. Then a few more stops in Asia like Beijing and Hong Kong and anything like Bangkok or Singapore. They don't go to China for one show I think. Then they have just asked for multiple shows in Honolulu Hawaii 6,000 capacity venue, April 22 and on, so it is hard to see how they will be able to fit in Australia. May is a month off until Barcelona. The April touring schedule will be very interesing indeed, once it is final and published eventually.

As for Europe, there are Dublin lawsuits among promotors and re-arrangements of shows in the south-east so the tour office must be ral busy righ now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: February 4, 2006 00:24

Thanks for that post ,have been waiting for any news on the aust and nz tour ,guess there are more bucks to be made in asia.Will be guitted if they do not show up down here.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 4, 2006 00:33

There are absolutely no bucks to be made in China. They do it simply because they have never been there, I mean mainland China. They would make more money in Australia. And who said they won't make it down under? It's a puzzle that's what it is.

Bjornulf

Date: February 4, 2006 00:55

phd Wrote:
>
> Don't be so pessimistic.
>

you're seriously suggesting that the big, bad Rolling Stones are going to miss out on millions of dollars and risk having their shows cancelled in a huge and untapped market by telling the Chinese government to stuff their regulations?

Dont think so, somehow..

Date: February 4, 2006 01:20

bv Wrote:
> There are absolutely no bucks to be made in China.
> They do it simply because they have never been
> there, I mean mainland China. They would make more
> money in Australia. And who said they won't make
> it down under? It's a puzzle that's what it is.
>
> Bjornulf

China is the 2nd biggest economy in the world now, Bjornulf and the one thats growing the most rapidly. Its also an untapped market for the Stones. Can you imagine the potential in being huge in a country that has four times the population of the USA?

Australia always seemed like an afterthought for the Stones on this tour from what I could see as it wasnt mentioned in the original press conference or press releases. The longer they decided to stay in the US and make more $, the less time that left for a spring visit to Australia - and it also meant that many of the stadiums became unavailable as they were being used for sports. Any visit to Oz at that time of year seemed that it was always going to just be limited to a couple of shows.

At this late stage, I cant see them playing Australia in April and filling football stadiums at 2 months notice at the prices they charge. U2's visit a few weeks before them has affected them too.

Some of the Aussies on Rocks Off seem to think that if they ARE going to visit down under, a tour towards the end of 2006 is more realistic. It would make more financial sense too.

>They don't go to China for one show I think. Then they have just asked for multiple shows in Honolulu Hawaii 6,000 capacity venue, April 22 and on, so it is hard to see how they will be able to fit in Australia.

really?? wow...shit, they finally decide to play small venues and they do it in one of the most remote parts of the world sad smiley

>As for Europe, there are Dublin lawsuits among promotors and re-arrangements of shows in the south-east so the tour office must be ral busy righ now.

thanks for the info...I understood that the rights to stage the Dublin show had been settled in the courts (Wonderland Promotions won the battle over MCD), but maybe there's an appeal going on..hopefully it'll be settled quickly. Still doesnt explain why the show is no longer on rs.com because theres no suggestion that the date has been changed or the show cancelled.

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: February 4, 2006 02:47

Japan is the second largest economy isnt it?

anyway, there was an article in a paper here about a charity who has a signed guitar stolen. apparently they were told that the stones will happily sign one for them when they are here in april.

Date: February 4, 2006 02:52

Daethgod from Rocks Off (from his contact at the promoters) has just posted that it seems on OK for April

"just heard it looks solid as :

2 shows in NZ and 2 shows in Sydney"

announcement soon "

Date: February 4, 2006 02:57

andrew9148 Wrote:
> Japan is the second largest economy isnt it?
>

guess you're right. China now appears to have catapulted to 4th - its also certainly the fastest growing one

[news.bbc.co.uk]

[today.reuters.co.uk]

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: February 4, 2006 04:24

Hey when you live way downunder and havent had the stones visit for 10 years ,and cannot get to the Us or Europe to see them .You start to panic with any rumours you hear.I WILL have another beer and keep waiting .
Philip New Zealand

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2201
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home