Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Voodoo Lounge
Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: January 30, 2006 22:31

What are your top favorite tracks & the bottom 3 tracks for you?
Critique the album if you'd like review song by song.

My thinking is its one of the albums that many will feel total sum better than the individual songs themselves. It was nice to hear a less polished slick production from its predeccsor & follow up. Although those have their moments as well.

Not a lot of classic killer songs individually but good together. Does that make sense????

My Top 3 are Love is Strong, Brand new Car & sparks will Fly

Bottom 3 are: Suck on the Jugular, Mean Disposition & New Faces This 3rd lowest is hard.

Yes Suprise Sweethearts together not in bottom 3

I think lots might put I Go Wild, Blinded by Rainbows or YGMR perhaps somewhere in top 3

I love The Worst also . Sweethearts Together & Suck on Jugular will be mosts bottom 3 is my supposition.

Please participate decrees The MEZ!!!!!!!!! Whats your review of songs on voodoo. Tell me & I'll tell you fellow Stoneheads

Re: Voodoo Lounge
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 30, 2006 22:33

Faves: Brand New Car, I Go Wild & Suck on the Jugular

Least Faves: Love is Strong, Thru & Thru, Blinded by Rainbows

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: January 30, 2006 22:36

Faves: Love is Strong, Moon Is Up, Blinded by Rainbows

Least Faves: Thru and Thru, out of tears, suck on the jugular

Also love YGMR and I Go Wild.

Honorable Mention: Jump On Top Of Me, an excellent B-side from the voodoo sessions.

Date: January 30, 2006 22:42

Yes Jump On Top of me is great. Would be 1st or 2nd if was on LP. I Love that tune! MEZ

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 30, 2006 22:46

1.Blinded by Rainbows 2.The Worst3.Moon is Up$.Love Is Strong5.Baby Break it Down

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 30, 2006 22:46

Top 3 : Thru & Thru, Love is Strong, Out of Tears

Bottom 3 : Suck on the Jugular (one of the worst songs the Stones have ever recorded), Mean Disposition, Sparks Will Fly ('sharks will cry' indeed...yuck)

Posted by: stonesncrowes ()
Date: January 30, 2006 22:49

Let me start off by saying this is one of my favorite albums. It's one that I can put on and listen to the whole way through.

1. Love is Strong - I love this song. The drums are nice and crisp and Mick's harmonica playing is great. Also love the way he sings it.

2. You Got Me Rocking - Another good song. Not the best on the album but Keith's sporatic playing is pretty good. Reminds me of the way he used to play.

3. Sparks Will Fly - Great song as well. Mick sounds young on it. Charlie drives the song, as usual.

4. The Worst - One of my favorite Keith songs. Great harmonies, great picking, it's fantastic.

5. New Faces - I like this one even though most people don't. It reminds me of As Tears Go By and PLay With Fire and some of those mid 60's ballads.

6. Moon is Up - It's different but I like it. Charlie plays on trash cans if I remember right. It's a fun song.

7. Out of Tears - Nice ballad. Like to hear a piano driven ballad being as a lot of the Stones newer ballads seem to be kind of generic acoustic driven songs. Also love the subtle rhythm guitar.

8. I Go Wild - Great @#$%& song. One of the best on the album. Keith and Charlie gel on this one. Mick's lyrics are very good as well.

9. Brand New Car - I like this one quite a bit too. The harmonica is a nice touch. Interesting lyrics if you use your imagination.

10. Sweethearts Together - I love this tune. The harmonies are fantastic. I love to hear Mick and Keith harmonize together. Like the tropical feel to it and the guitar solo is done very tastefully.

11. Suck on the Jugular - This one's alright. Kind of a nice funky groove but I feel it could have been better had it been reworked and produced a little differently.

12. Blinded by Rainbows - Lovely song but nothing special. Don't skip but don't go right to it either.

13. Baby Break it Down - I really like this one a lot. Kind of reminds me of their mid 70's work a little. Don't know why. I like the riff.

14. Thru and Thru - Some lovely fingerpicking by Keith. I like the way this one builds very similarly to Sister Mrophine. Keith voice sounds nice on this one.

15. Mean Disposition - Not bad but not great. Wish it would have been replaced by Jump on Top of Me. Which had it been on the album would have easily been my favorite song on Voodo Lounge.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 30, 2006 22:53

Out of Tears is very very good!

Date: January 30, 2006 22:53

Awesome song reviews stonesncrowes! Thanks a million MEZ

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 30, 2006 23:02

Best: Love Is Strong, Blinded By Rainbows, Sparks Will Fly.

Worst: Mean Disposition, Suck On The Jugular, Sweethearts Together.

Posted by: Mr.Soul ()
Date: January 30, 2006 23:06

Best Songs: Love Is Strong, The Worst, Out Of Tears

Worst Songs: Sparks Will Fly, Baby Break It Down, Mean Disposition

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: January 30, 2006 23:10

Faves:
The Worst
Baby Break It Down
Love Is Strong
Thru and Thru (don't like the pounding finale, though--doesn't make sense too me)
Sweethearts Together
New Faces (60s harpsichord!)

Really wish they had included The Storm and Zip Mouth Angel--they have a great
organic "Beggars" quality

Middle ground:
I Go Wild (good riffing, dumb cornball chorus, seriously--I Go Wild?)
You Got Me Rockin' (but I think the drums are too loud--covers up some great riffin')

Dislike:
Mean Disposition
Suck on the Jugular

Could say more but I'm going to quit here...

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: January 30, 2006 23:21

Best: Love is Strong, You Got Me Rockin', I Go Wild
Worst: Thru and Thru, Sweethearts Together, Mean Disposition

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 30, 2006 23:22

I didn't even mention YGMR! It is such a bad song it doesn't even rate a rating!

Incredible how many top 3's are bottom 3's on these lists. We all have two ears, too, I assume.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 30, 2006 23:30

I find it strange that so many dislike Mean Disposition. I mean it's not a milestone, but it's a jolly good listen, especially because of the "dum-dum-dum-dum"-bass line in the chorus. That must be an acoustic bass. I think it swings in an unusual way.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: January 30, 2006 23:34

Top 3 IMO: Out Of Tears
You Got Me Rocking
Blinded By Rainbows

Bottom 3 IMO: Suck On The Jugular
New Faces
Sweethearts Together

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: January 30, 2006 23:42

Stonesncrow, I'm so glad to read your post, I've written many many times here how much I LOVE this album. I've even said - and repeat - that it's my favourite.
It's not the best in any respect, but it's second best in every respect, and therefore it's the album on which I find the most of the things I love about he Stones packed together.

I agree with all you said, just a few comments of my own:

Mean Disposition is just FANTASTIC. Mick sings at his best, not trying too hard, with his baad pronunciation and fabulous variations everytime he sings "disposition". The end, with the bass going straight boogie and the guitars going progressively astray, is just the perfect album ending.

Mick is again perfect on "New Faces" - it sounds like nothing to do, but if you try to capture all the nuances he does, it is simply impossible - just like on Let Me down slow.

The guitar weaving and slow crescendo on Baby Break It Down is fab. The progressive introduction of the other instruments - a classic sixties pattern: 1) guitars, 2) organ, 3) backvox, as on YCAGWYW works very well. I love this kind of slow groove, reminiscent of Stax 60s sound.

Never have Keith and Charlie been in synch as much as on Sparks will fly. True, lyrics are ridiculous, but the band is so damn tight that everything works.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 31, 2006 03:23

Best: Love Is Strong; You Got Me Rocking; Thru And Thru.
Worst: Sweethearts Together; Moon Is Up (So bad the studio version, so great the live version).

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 31, 2006 03:29

Underrated. Love Is Strong (for the harp work) and YGMR (for the guitar riff) are classic Stones tracks. I Go Wild is right behind. Thru and Thru I never liked until I heard it on the Sopranos, and now I love it.

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: January 31, 2006 04:20

1- Love Is Strong
2- Out Of Tears
3- Sparks Will Fly
4- Moon Is Up

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 31, 2006 05:10

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> YGMR (for the guitar riff) are classic Stones
> tracks.

Please! What is this - a paid political announcement?

Date: January 31, 2006 05:29

1) I Go Wild 2) Love Is Strong 3) Thru & Thru 4) Out Of Tears 5) Brand New Car 6) Break It Down 7) The Worst 8) Sparks Will Fly 9) Mean Disposition 10) Moon Is Up 11) Blinded By Rainbows 12) Sweethearts Together 13) You Got Me Rocking 14) Suck On The Jugular 15) New Faces ~ Outtakes & b-sides : 1) Jump On Top Of Me 2) Honest Man 3) The Storm 4) Zip Mouth Angel 5) Middle Of The Sea 6) So Young (from pre-'93 sessions)

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 31, 2006 05:42

This is by far the Stones' worst album, IMO. Most sad is that they seem to have worked relatively hard on it, trying to recapture what they thought their fans wanted, instead of making some real music. At least ABB was knocked off in a couple of days and has some spontaneity somewhere in there.

"Love is Strong" is good musically but with Dr. Seuss lyrics. "in a park... in the dark... in a house... with a mouse." Would have been good filler, but it's the first song on the album. Not promising.

"YGMR" is a little better live, which is the best I can say about it.

"Sparks Will Fly" must have been written by someone else. The Eagles? Possibly the Stones track I dislike the most.

"The Worst" is ok but very slight.

"New Faces" is an ok Aftermath pastiche. Not as good as "Angel in my Heart."

"Moon is Up" I like. Cool guitar sound and melody. Would have liked some interesting lyrics too but you can't have everything at this stage.

"Out of Tears" is almost a very good song. I just don't like the sing-songiness of the verse. It sounds like an advertising jingle. Again, that children's music feeling. Maybe mick has lost more brain cells than we think -- he writes much more childishly than he did when he was 20. But a nice chord structure and even a good lyrical conceit.

What else is on here? "I Go Wild" is crap, the stiffest excuse for a groove the Stones ever cut. "Drive My Car" has a bit more swing, which I hadn't noticed until reading this board. A nice performance but again such a puerile tune. "Suck on the Jugular" is hilariously bad -- it's amusing enough to fit in on Dirty Work, which I get a big kick out of.

"Sweethearts" and "Blinded by Rainbows" are really the worst, b/c they're supposed to be heartfelt. Ugh. Can't believe this is the Stones.

"Baby Break It Down" is a good riff and nice performance... why didn't they finish writing the song? Another one I had totally blown off until reading this board.

"Thru & Thru" is cool. I guess keith has to pick his moments now.

"Mean Disposition" is fun. I'm not sure why people like "Sparks" and "I Go Wild" and not this one, which is much zippier and hard edged. Is it a 70s outtake redone, like "So Young"?

Date: January 31, 2006 05:52

I Go Wild is trademark Stones & heaven forbid that any of their lyrics rhyme.Surprised that the Stones write about women?They've done it far more than the Eagles have.

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: January 31, 2006 06:05

<<This is by far the Stones' worst album, IMO.>>

Can't disagree with you more. I know most fans are polarized about work post-Tattoo, but in my humble opinion, this would rank among my favorite albums. In fact, I never paid much attention to the Stones until this album came out and I know there are quite a few people under 35 that could say the same. This was a cross-over album, that unlike the single Streets of Love or a number of Jagger solo works, did not compromise artistry for hipness or youth appeal.

It also stands apart from B2B and Steel Wheels, both of which have good material, but were over-produced, albeit from different angles. And I don't think you can compare Voodoo to ABB; that would be comparable to measuring Exile by the standards of Sticky Fingers. They are fundamentally different sounds and albums.

In sum, I would argue Voodoo is the Stones at the core. There is some incredible guitar weaving by Ron and Keith, plus a strong contingent of stand-alone material. I am still amazed by the number of times I hear Voodoo songs and quite often in the most unlikely of places. It was an album that was right for the moment, the public ate up, and still sounds timely over a decade later.

<<Suck on the Jugular" is hilariously bad -- it's amusing enough to fit in on Dirty Work, which I get a big kick out of.>>

But I would definitely have to agree with you there!

"You look like a leper dressed as Sergeant Pepper"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-31 06:08 by JamesBurton.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 31, 2006 07:09

I have some tenderness for this album. Not the best but some solid songs.
I remember hating it the first I listened to it. Then I listened to it so often that I got hooked. I lent it to some friend who never returned it to me and this thread made my buy a new copy on Amazon just now!

The worst of the album:
Suck on the Jugular -- I don't even know where to start
Moon is Up
Blinded By Rainbow

The Best:
Brand New Car -- sleazy and sexy
Out of Tears -- an improved Angie (never liked Angie, dunno why)
Love is Strong - great harmonica

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: January 31, 2006 07:14

My top 3 are Love Is Strong, Out of Tears and Baby Break It Down. But I love the whole damn album, every song. A masterpiece. Totally deserved the Grammy. BUT I will say I think Bridges to Babylon is better. But that's me.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 31, 2006 08:26

micwer Wrote:
> > The worst of the album:
> Suck on the Jugular -- I don't even know where to
> start
>

Well - please start somewhere and we can debate the merits/demerits of the song, which I happen to luv...

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 31, 2006 10:20

Like it, Love it, Hate it...

THE Breakout song of VooDoo Lounge is You Got Me Rockin... an especially great song in a big stadium venue. Especially great played AFTER the crowd already is rockin !!

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Date: January 31, 2006 12:57

Gazza Wrote:
> Top 3 : Thru & Thru, Love is Strong, Out of
> Tears
>
> Bottom 3 : Suck on the Jugular (one of the worst
> songs the Stones have ever recorded), Mean
> Disposition, Sparks Will Fly ('sharks will cry'
> indeed...yuck)
Agree with your assessment of SOTJ, but funny you pointed out the lyric from SWF. This has to be an all-time low lyric wise.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1625
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home