Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Rolling Stones Project by Tim Ries
Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 15, 2006 01:04

Has anyone heard this CD? I like some of it esp Honky Tonk Women (Keiths Versions) and Waiting on a Friend.

Re: The Rolling Stones Project by Tim Ries
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2006 01:10

Slipping Away with Keith is nice....Street Fighting Man I wrestle with.

Japanese pressing carries extra track....As Tears Go By.

Ries' earlier 2001 release Alternate Side closes with Moonlight Mile.

ROCKMAN

Date: January 15, 2006 01:13

I like Slippin Away too and struggle with Street Fightin Man and Paint it Black

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 15, 2006 01:32

I call it Muzak.

Nico

Date: January 15, 2006 01:35

Wild Horses is awesome.

The Project is excellent, but most Stones-fans probably won't like it....

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 16, 2006 03:13

I heard some snatches of it in a movie theater, in between trivia questions and coke commercials. It was ok. I would probably never choose to put it on for myself.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:39

A friend saw in the Bay Area and said it was good - I looked on Ticketmaster and see that the only venue is in Missouri somewhere! Seems strange - you'd think it could get some gigs in big cities, like Chicago - something to do between Stones shows!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:40

He will do a show at the Finale Club in St Louis on January 26th (thanks bv, for mentioning it in IORR #54!).

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 17, 2006 01:12

Hate the Nora Jones version of WILD HORSES! It is NOT meant for a woman to sing, in the first place, secondly, it sounds like she's on LUDES! I love the rest of Tim's cd, especially Slipping Away! Great job!

Posted by: uck ()
Date: January 17, 2006 01:41

are you guys kidding? what an obvious scam. i don't hear any synergy between stones music and the euro-jazz this guy seems to like to do. seems to me like he got on the gig and then conconted the scam; probably never bought a rock record in his whole life

uck

Date: January 17, 2006 05:34

He is also doing a show in NY on thursday

"mick's my wife, and we can't get divorced"

"Alright keith, gimmie some of them women"

"And now, dressed as mick jagga........mick jagga"

AIM- ohnonotyouagainn

Date: January 17, 2006 05:36

uck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> are you guys kidding? what an obvious scam. i
> don't hear any synergy between stones music and
> the euro-jazz this guy seems to like to do. seems
> to me like he got on the gig and then conconted
> the scam; probably never bought a rock record in
> his whole life
>
> uck

Keef, Charlie and Lisa Fischer are on it.

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: January 17, 2006 07:01

It was the only CD I had in my car after the 2nd SF...we listened to it OVER and OVER to Sonoma and back to SF. Nice CD, but heard it way too many times on that trip.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: January 17, 2006 07:50

Tim Ries and the Rolling Stones Project, featuring Bernard Fowler, Michael Davis, Darryl Jones, and others, will be performing at Martyrs' club in Chicago next Tuesday the 24th. Should be a good show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-17 07:52 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 17, 2006 09:52

Rockman, you got an email
winking smiley

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: January 17, 2006 21:38

this is pathetic. no offense, but i'm not talkin' about whether keith or charlie like the guy, or want to help him out. i'm talkin' about what it is, and it is clearly a scam that does not make much musical sense. the rest of the band works for money, so if you pay them, they'll play on your project. if you guys like it, more power to ya, whatever....

uck

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 18, 2006 04:02

I don't know where you get that this is a scam...

Was the "Silent Way Project", a tribute to Miles Davis by Mark Isham a scam ?? That was hands-down one of the very best jazz gigs you would ever attend.

So far I'm liking what I see about this. The gig in Chicago is on Tuesday Jan. 24th between the 2 shows in town. Link below for info:

[www.martyrslive.com]

Go to the music link and scroll down to Jan. 24th... Darryl Jones, Bernard Fowler, etc. will be there. It's not out of the question that Keith or Ronnie might show up as well...

FWIW, I tried to get tickets on the online link but it's screwed up, best is to call MusicToday.com at 1-800-594-TIXX, tickets are only 10 bucks, you pay over the phone and your tickets are waiting at the will call at Martyrs.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Date: January 18, 2006 04:47

If I lived near Chicago- I'd be there. I agreed wiht born, it's not out of the question that Keef or Ronnie might show-up. In a small place like that you could prbably meet Darryl and Bernard.

Now if Lovely Lisa is going to be there.....we'll...when's the next flight to Chicago!

Date: January 18, 2006 06:28

let's see, mark isham is to miles davis as tim ries is to.... the rolling stones?? c'mon man. if the guy did a coltrane tribute record, i would get it. he gets on the gig, all of a sudden he's a stones' fan, and wants to do a tribute record? are you seriously not able to discern what this is? like i said, whatever. if you like the idea of stones' tunes played by an over-intellectualized jazz ensemble, go enjoy yourself. you won't see me there.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-18 06:53 by uck.

Posted by: theboys ()
Date: January 18, 2006 06:55

Without hearing the Tim Ries deal. . .I have to agree, a jazz flavored twist on stones classics. . .yikes. I do straight ahead piano covers that seem to resononate and get people singing or clapping along. . .I hope it's a tribute and not a lounge act. . . .

Someone who hears this guy and takes it in. . .let us know your take - maybe it's cool?

Time Waits for No One. . .and it won't wait for me. . .hours are like diamonds, don't let 'em waist (great lyrics!)

Piano Man

Date: January 18, 2006 20:51

uck Wrote:
> let's see, mark isham is to miles davis as tim
> ries is to.... the rolling stones?? c'mon man.
> if the guy did a coltrane tribute record, i would
> get it. he gets on the gig, all of a sudden he's
> a stones' fan, and wants to do a tribute record?
> are you seriously not able to discern what this
> is? like i said, whatever. if you like the idea
> of stones' tunes played by an
> over-intellectualized jazz ensemble, go enjoy
> yourself. you won't see me there.....
>

Well, first off Tim Ries IS in the Rolling Stones... if you attend any Stones gig you'll see him playing there onstage...

He's not some independent jazz guy f*cking around with their music...

Keith plays on some of the studio tracks too...

Also, since when is Jazz so foreign to the Stones ?? Charlie is a hard-core jazz drummer, and Darryl a hard-core jazz bassist.

AND DARRYL's in the Tim Ries Project! He and Bernard Fowler and who-knows-who-else are going to be at this live gig.

Where else can you see these guys for 10 bucks plus any "unannounced guests" ?

If it's a choice between going to this gig or to Buddy Guys, I'd do this everytime. BG just isn't that interesting a blues player, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-18 20:53 by BornOnTheBayou.

Date: January 19, 2006 00:25

uhhhhh, my man, the fact that he plays in the band is precisely the point. before he played in the band, i'm gonna guess that he had very little to do with rock and roll. if i'm wrong, show me the evidence. what i smell is pure opportunism; a guy who is really an intellectual euro jazz type, somehow gets himself on this gig, and blatantly attempts to parlay it into something. Do you see Daryl doing a Stones' cover record, or Bernard, or the trumpet guy? No, you don't. I wonder why. As far as their inclusion goes, like I said, people work for money. And like I said, I'm not talking about whether Keith is flattered by this and might show up or any other nonsense. I'm talking about the merits of this particular musical "idea", and I find precious few.....

uck

Date: January 19, 2006 00:43

uck Wrote:
> uhhhhh, my man, the fact that he plays in the band
> is precisely the point. before he played in the
> band, i'm gonna guess that he had very little to
> do with rock and roll. if i'm wrong, show me the
> evidence. what i smell is pure opportunism; a guy
> who is really an intellectual euro jazz type,
> somehow gets himself on this gig, and blatantly
> attempts to parlay it into something. Do you see
> Daryl doing a Stones' cover record, or Bernard, or
> the trumpet guy? No, you don't. I wonder why.
> As far as their inclusion goes, like I said,
> people work for money. And like I said, I'm not
> talking about whether Keith is flattered by this
> and might show up or any other nonsense. I'm
> talking about the merits of this particular
> musical "idea", and I find precious few.....
>

Why's it important whether he had much to do with RnR before touring with the stones ? Darryl Jones didn't have that much to do with RnR either, so what ?

As for your smelling opportunism, Ries already has umpteen CD's out there... he already has a career, doesn't have to parlay anything into anything...

And who in the world would believe that "the Rolling Stones Project" is a career move ? It's just EXPERIMENTATION as far as I can tell... that's at least as valid speculation about his motives as your speculation. That's what musicians do... they experiment with sound.

No, I don't see Darryl doing anything, but then again I never really thought of him as a songwriter OR bandleader OR "project leader" for that matter. He's primarily a great "bass for hire" as far as I read his career path.

As for the merits of setting stones tunes to jazz arrangement, you have a very hard-wired set of opinions... I don't. I'd be very willing to check it out and give it a listen. Might be great, might be dismal, might be a bit of both, but I'd give it a shot. Apparently you wouldn't.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: January 19, 2006 01:02

I've seen Tim Ries do the RS Project live at a jazz club, with Bernard Fowler singing on quite a few songs, and I really enjoyed it. I especially loved how Bernard sang on Wild Horses....that ALONE was worth the price of admission, and then some! It is a creative approach to the songs; at the beginning you don't recognize the song, then it slowly comes to you as being familiar and bingo, you put your finger on it, then it slips off into some jazz tangent, and back into focus again. Paint It Black was very good. I also like the "Bossa N Stones" cover cd by various artists.
I've also seen Bernard & Blondie perform stones covers at stones place; don't see what the big issue is here. Good music is meant to be enjoyed, and putting a jazz twist on it may reach a different audience, and allows us fans to appreciate the music all over again. No staleness there!

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 19, 2006 01:13

I bet Mick shows up to watch, and that Ronnie and Keith actually play with Tim.I'd love to be there! Wish I was close by! I have the cd and happen to love it! I am also confused by the use of the word " scam". It's simply good music and these guys all play on each other's solo projects. Isn't it a GREAT thing that they all love and respect one another?

Date: January 19, 2006 05:47

It's impossibel to read te guys mind. Keef and Ronnie are not forced to do anything and I doubt thye would play on Tim's CD (which surely helps sales) if they thought he was scamming them.

Date: January 19, 2006 14:55

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
>
> Why's it important whether he had much to do with
> RnR before touring with the stones ? Darryl Jones
> didn't have that much to do with RnR either, so
> what ?
>
> As for your smelling opportunism, Ries already has
> umpteen CD's out there... he already has a career,
> doesn't have to parlay anything into anything...
>
> And who in the world would believe that "the
> Rolling Stones Project" is a career move ? It's
> just EXPERIMENTATION as far as I can tell...
> that's at least as valid speculation about his
> motives as your speculation. That's what
> musicians do... they experiment with sound.
>
> No, I don't see Darryl doing anything, but then
> again I never really thought of him as a
> songwriter OR bandleader OR "project leader" for
> that matter. He's primarily a great "bass for
> hire" as far as I read his career path.
>
> As for the merits of setting stones tunes to jazz
> arrangement, you have a very hard-wired set of
> opinions... I don't. I'd be very willing to check
> it out and give it a listen. Might be great, might
> be dismal, might be a bit of both, but I'd give it
> a shot. Apparently you wouldn't.
>

listen, you are free to like and enjoy anything you want. maybe you're a friend of tim's or something like that, i don't know. as for me, i checked this out, and i pretty easily see it for what it is. and, from what i've been able to gather, the marketplace has spoken on this thing, and in my view has judged it correctly.... and I'm pretty sure this guy does not have "umpteen" CDs out there; if he had a real career as an artist, that's what he'd be doing right now, not working as a sideman/phishing for attention. I'm sorry, I find it opportunistic and somewhat offensive that a stones' side musician is promoting his own album of stones' covers on the back of an actual stones' tour?!? if you thinks that's cool, or maybe you think it's an opportunity to see Keith or Ron up close, hey more power to ya.... But I'm not fooled.

uck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-19 17:03 by uck.

Posted by: bloodtv ()
Date: January 19, 2006 17:38

Actually got married to this disc...No kidding! We had a small intimate wedding, gathering of friends, etc. and besides Bigger Bang (which was too rough for some of the older folks [who are YOUNGER than the Stones]- but we kept it playing anyway) we played this cool disc. While I agree I won't be puttin' it on often, it's worth a listen every now and then.

Date: January 19, 2006 19:12

uck Wrote:
> >
> listen, you are free to like and enjoy anything
> you want. maybe you're a friend of tim's or
> something like that, i don't know. as for me, i
> checked this out, and i pretty easily see it for
> what it is. and, from what i've been able to
> gather, the marketplace has spoken on this thing,
> and in my view has judged it correctly.... and I'm
> pretty sure this guy does not have "umpteen" CDs
> out there;

Well, don't be so sure...

Tim Ries: Alternate Side 2001

Prism Quartet: Real Standard Time 2000

Tim Ries & Frank Amsallem: Is That So 1996

Tim Ries: Imaginary Time 1994

Tim Ries & Frank Amsallem: Regards, 1993

AND He's saxophonist on over FORTY other CD's going back to 1982 with such bands as Maynard Ferguson, Joe Henderson and other legendary musicians.

if he had a real career as an artist,
> that's what he'd be doing right now, not working
> as a sideman/phishing for attention.

Well apparently HE's got some pretty good "sidemen" himself: John Scofield, Bernard Fowler, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Darryl Jones, Lisa Fischer, Norah Jones, Bill Frisell, Sheryl Crow, Ron Wood... to name just a few people who appear on The Rolling Stones Project CD....

I'm sorry, I
> find it opportunistic and somewhat offensive that
> a stones' side musician is promoting his own album
> of stones' covers on the back of an actual stones'
> tour?!?

Well YOU may find it opportunistic and offensive but if Darryl, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie, Bernard, and Lisa ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE TO THE MUSIC, why do you find it offensive ? Are you in the Stones ?

if you thinks that's cool, or maybe you
> think it's an opportunity to see Keith or Ron up
> close, hey more power to ya.... But I'm not
> fooled.
>

I guess Keith et al are fooled, but you're not.

Date: January 20, 2006 00:21

dude, whatever, you're clearly a plant. if you want to shill for the guy, pay for an ad somewhere, this is a discussion board, and i stand by my opinion. hmmmm, maybe i know a little bit more about the economics of this business than you do, but we'll just leave it at that, i'm out....

uck

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home