Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Montreal kicks starts with Jumpi' Jack
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 11, 2006 13:34

what do you mean perfect, its the same thing as the first leg

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 11, 2006 14:19

ironic that it was Keith who got a (justified) bit of criticism in the first leg of the tour for playing the same songs over and over again, and then when the tour resumes he changes BOTH of his songs (he made more changes last night (2)than he did for the entire 2005 leg (1 song)

Good to see As Tears Go By back in. I think its now almost a cert we'll get it at one of the shows in the Boston, New York and Chicago double-headers.

From a review posted on Rocks Off, This Place is Empty went down very well and didnt result in the usual mass exodus for a piss-break

Mick's still playing it safe, though it seems. I didnt expect much else considering there was no real rehearsal time.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: January 11, 2006 15:05

Yeah they played it safe, but still I am glad Keith changed his stuff around (even though I am not much of a fan of tPiEWY)... "Happy" was great fun!
Guitars very loud in the mix, which should be good news. But Ronnie Wood plays so many bum notes that it too often results in cacophony to my ear - but I'm ageing, any young one heard this entirely differently last night? I thought the trio of Keith, Jagger and Watts managed terrificly! From my binoculars, Keith's arthritis appeared to me like it has diminished, and he did played many solos that didn't sound bad at all... at least from what I could get of it through the noise (if only Ronnie would learn to lay out from time to time, have a ciggie, a banana, anything... The HORNS do it, and they still sleep at night!)
You know FOUR new songs - albeit from an album I feel as tepid over as aBB - is really welcome fresh air with all these war horses left and right (ATGB is almost a war horse to me beause it's a classic that everybody knows backward), and I dug ONNYA, then RJ on the B-stage.
When I think of the lesser known classics they churned out 3 years ago here I almost feel like crying...
Yeah, the crowd was wild over most everything anyway. All along, I could see people dancing in front of their seats all the way up to the ceiling!! Great atmosphere!

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 11, 2006 15:20

I pray they leave " AS TEARS GO BY" in the setlist, at least until Friday!! And although I am usually bored by Keith, I can't wait to hear his songs, two of my favorite KEEF tunes! Now, for a surprise in Boston, Mick comes out to share the SAME microphone on HAPPY! " AND THE CROWD GOES ABSOLUTELY WILD!" I know, dream on!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 11, 2006 17:27

Kickstarting with Jumping Jack Flash was a great thing to do. If it only could last. Great things have a tendency to be one-offs. Just remember Sway.

However, I`ve still got no ticket for Bergen or Gothenburg. Might there still be any chance before the gigs go off?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 11, 2006 17:49

noughties Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kickstarting with Jumping Jack Flash was a great
> thing to do. If it only could last. Great things
> have a tendency to be one-offs. Just remember
> Sway.
>

they opened with JJF in Vegas and at one of the Hollywood Bowl shows

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: January 11, 2006 18:12

Not only did no one leave during this place is empty, KR had to stop once at the beginning as the place was going nuts. The Montreal crowd was well"lagered" to face the cold night and went wild on almost every number.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: January 11, 2006 18:20

Sure nice to see "Happy" popped in there and by the sounds of the review in in the Montreal Gazette "As Tears Go By" was extremely well done and received. I talked to a buddy of mine who went and he said the crowd was wild ... especially for a Monday evening show.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Date: January 11, 2006 18:49

Debra Wrote:
Now, for a
> surprise in Boston, Mick comes out to share the
> SAME microphone on HAPPY! " AND THE CROWD GOES
> ABSOLUTELY WILD!" I know, dream on!

I believe Keith has it in his contract that Mick must be off stage when he performs.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 11, 2006 19:56

"Odd-beat" wrote: "But Ronnie Wood plays so many bum notes that it too often results in cacophony to my ear" It is a sad thing to read that. Not any improvement in relation to the last year?

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: January 11, 2006 20:47

Ronnie was very loud and prominent on nearly every song. The days of showcasing only his paint-by-numbers slide workout on the abysmal You Got Me Rocking...and you don't hear anything else from him...are obviously over.

But he hit some incredibly bad notes. His solo on YCAGWYW had some dreadful clams.

It was a sloppy, sloppy show last nite in Montreal, though I have to admit I enjoyed its chaos and sloppiness (and improved setlist) a lot more than I enjoyed those dreadful rote shows at Fenway in Boston last August.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: January 11, 2006 20:49

Did Mick play his slide-part during This Place Is Empty?

Date: January 11, 2006 21:23

No I believe it was Ronnie on the slide on that.

It's not so much that he would kick in solos out of key. Rather that he played so loud and didn't seemed to care about having wrong strings ringing in his chords or licks. When you play that loud you can't "afford" being sloppy like that...

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: January 11, 2006 22:39

Give a "sloppy" show like this anytime. 18,000 people and none of them sat down the whole time. There's a lot of dazed folks wandering around the cold streets of Montreal today.

Stones are leaving later this PM for Boston.............

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: January 11, 2006 22:56

This set list would have been OK for the first part of the tour. I really hope they change it up more for the the future, specially for cities they are returning to.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 11, 2006 23:18

Kudos to the Stones, and Keith in particular, for changing up the setlist. Here's hoping they keep up the good work!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 11, 2006 23:22

fleabitpeanutmonkey Wrote:

> I believe Keith has it in his contract that Mick
> must be off stage when he performs.

Hey, is that true??? I've actually wondered if there was something like that in place. That sucks if so.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 12, 2006 00:17

"This Place is Empty" great, one of the greatest songs in rock history all time, and I think, I'm very sober ...

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: January 12, 2006 00:32

I also adore TPIE; I think it and Happy work well as a one-two punch. Now if only Chuck could cajole Mick into trying She Saw Me Coming, Dangerous Beauty, Driving too Fast and IWTL once again. B stage should be ABB only!

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: January 12, 2006 04:19

God already get rid of You Got Me Rocking & Miss You. Nobody wants to hear these hello! Ok very few. They are not classics people want to hear every tour MU. YGMR is alright but enough already. What are they thinking with these two. Does someone from caravan read their boards, polls etc. Get rid of em. SO many others. Is it just safe or Mick so Godamn stubborn he doesn't care as he loves em or is he or are they oblivious that nobody receptive to these two overplayed songs. Please I am right aren't I? MEZ

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 12, 2006 04:35

kudos to what, the same songs for the 1000th time, just in different order,
bullocks

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:24

RobertJohnson Wrote:
> "This Place is Empty" great, one of the greatest
> songs in rock history all time, and I think, I'm
> very sober ...

I think you're not

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:25

T&A Wrote:
> RobertJohnson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "This Place is Empty" great, one of the
> greatest
> > songs in rock history all time, and I think,
> I'm
> > very sober ...
>
>
> I think you're not
>

this combined post is the official joke post of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Date: January 12, 2006 20:27

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> Kudos to the Stones, and Keith in particular, for
> changing up the setlist. Here's hoping they keep
> up the good work!

Other than TPIE, how did the setlist change??? Are we so desperate we pick minor tweaks as "changing the setlist." Other than TPIE, not one new song introduced (new as in not played on the tour as of yet)

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: January 12, 2006 21:21

Apart from Happy that is, fleabitpeanutmonkey.

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: January 12, 2006 21:36

Montréal was fun! Hearing "TPIE" and then "Happy" was awesome. Once again, Keith steals the show. I had already heard "as tears go by" in san diego. Still it was cool to hear it again. "She's so cold" sounded rusty. Too bad too because I love that song on this tour.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 12, 2006 21:51

fleabitpeanutmonkey Wrote:
> ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> >
> Other than TPIE, how did the setlist change???
> Are we so desperate we pick minor tweaks as
> "changing the setlist." >
>

apparently. changing out the JJF slot for the SMU slot is even 'cos for minor euphoria these days. Whether Ronnie eats a banana or an apple during introductions is tantamount to a setlist surprise....

Posted by: iFox ()
Date: January 13, 2006 14:00

Odd-beat Wrote:
> No I believe it was Ronnie on the slide on that.
>

Ronnie did it on pedal steel.

Brno 22.07.07 & Warsaw 25.07.07

Date: January 13, 2006 15:22

You're right, pedal steel.
Wrong wording!

Date: January 13, 2006 15:23

Wait a minute! That thing he uses is no pedal steel but "lap steel", right?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1556
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home