Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rick Rubin & Mick Jagger
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 10, 2006 13:58

I read on this board about Mick Jagger clashing with Rick Rubin; does anybody know why they couldn't manage to get along after "Wandering Spirit"?
I think Rick Rubin would be the best choice as a producer for the Rolling Stones, he could push the sound of the band and make it freshier. Whenever I listen to BloodSugarSexMagic or Wandering Spirit (great job on that record!), I'm getting more and more convicted that he is definitely the right guy for the job...
So, why he had a fight with Mick (if he actually did)?

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-10 21:41 by Wild Slivovitz.

Re: Rick Rubin & Mick Jagger
Date: January 10, 2006 14:23

I agree. Rubin also did wonderful work with The Cult ("Electric" 1987) and Dan Baird from Georgia Satellites

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 10, 2006 14:34

Maybe he did exactly what needs to be done: he kicked that little British ass around the studio a bit LOL. I guess he actually wnated Jagger to make a good solo album; and he did. Jagger is a fool to not team up with him again.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: January 10, 2006 15:08

Rubin has a word for being slightly excentric. One of the rumours is that he demanded The Red Hot Chili Peppers to listen to Zeppelin's Dazed & Confused for an entire day in the studio before they started recording

Maybe Mick didn't like a similar approach? smiling smiley

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 10, 2006 20:58

Listening to the Rubin-produced Johnny Cash "Unearthed" box right at this moment.

"T For Texas," "The Running Kind," "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man," etc. Tremendous stuff.

He would be just the force the Stones need.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 10, 2006 22:50

Well, I can't imagine him making cash sit around and listen to led zep, so there's no reason he would do the same to the stones. Agreed - he'd be a good choice, musically. Though I wonder if they think they'd look like they need a career reboot, as he became renowned for doing for john. I don't think the first American Recordings had come out by the time of Wandering Spirit, or maybe just the first one.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 10, 2006 22:54

the results speak for themselves: WS is a tremendous album. Nothing the Stones have done since then is as good, IMO. Rubin's credit? Was' fault? Hard to say....

Date: January 11, 2006 00:22

<don't think the first American Recordings had come out by the time of Wandering Spirit, or maybe just the first one.<

Yes they did. Dan Baird´s brilliant album came out in 1992 (Love songs for the hearing impared),

Date: January 11, 2006 03:23

I meant the johnny cash series.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: January 11, 2006 03:33

I heard that Rick Rubin is currently producing Metallica.That is cool,maybe he'll find a right approach for this great band which has gone astray.

I am sure he'd do a bettr job with The Stones than Don Was.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: January 12, 2006 01:46

Rick Rubin should produce and bring along his art director. I love the stark look of the Johnny Cash stuff.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: January 12, 2006 02:02

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rubin has a word for being slightly excentric.

He looks very ordinary to me! winking smiley

Date: January 12, 2006 12:46

smiling smiley

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: January 12, 2006 13:51

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the results speak for themselves: WS is a
> tremendous album. Nothing the Stones have done
> since then is as good, IMO.

I couldn't agree more T&A. WS ist the best Stones related output in I dunno how many many many many years. And Rubin...well, he is a genius on the board. One of the finest producers in the history of popular music.

Date: January 12, 2006 19:44

It is very good. Too bad Santana had that big hit from his (first) "duets" style album. I imagine that gave mick the idea to go with the hodgepodge style of the last solo album.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: January 13, 2006 12:46

The Cult's Electric was the one that got me to noticed Ric Rubin. It one of my top ten picks for a heavey metal disc ever...Incredible guitar drum and vocal sound. The Cult should have used him again also. Wander Spirt is Mick'c finest moment speaking of solo stuff. I have often wondered if He took some of those songs along with some of Keith's stuff from that time, got the Stones together with Rubin...talk about getting a classic disc...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1158
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home