Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jappanese Couple???
Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: January 6, 2006 22:55

Check out the Cream reunion DVD at Royal Albert Hall and you will see them in the front row.............

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 6, 2006 23:14

So desu ka iFox-san. Shibainu ga imasu ka. Inu no onamae wa nan desu ka.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: January 6, 2006 23:17

Great article the Joker!!
Even reinforces my idea for an book of memoirs.; Maybe I could be their publisher!!LOL

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 6, 2006 23:23

Even if it might be interesting to discuss other people on internet, I hope you can all show the respect and the privacy of individuals, and don't discuss any private people on the internet without asking and getting approval from the individual. Just like YOU might not want to be an item of discussion on internet. This ia actually IORR policy. Not to be changed.

Please show the respect of this by either approving or saying nothing, so that I don't have to edit and close this thread because of people's lack of respect. Next time I see similar posts I will simply delete.

Bjornulf

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 7, 2006 00:16

To bv :

Speaking from a journalistic point of view, there is a common rule on what divides "private life" and "public life".

It teaches us that when a person gives interviews in the newpapers, accepts to have his/her pic published in those newspapers, and in this case, play a minor, but consented role in a show, then you can fairly say that this person has himself/herself breached the wall and exposed himself/herself to the public comment. Not on a general point of view, of course, but on the topic which that person put himself/herself into light.

Furthermore, I picked this piece of writing on the Rolling Stones Fan Club itself

[www.rollingstones.com]

So to be fair, you should question also RFSC. Will you do it ?

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 7, 2006 04:19

Tatsuo and Yukico are very nice. Big Stones fans! Not a couple per see, they travel together tho,to Stones shows around the world. Mike Cohl made sure they got tickets to the Phoenix Club when they were here in Toronto outside the rehearsal gates,they seem to know him................

By the way, isn't referring to them as the "Ono's" kinda racist, even if it's unintentional? Most folks here seem genuinely fond of them, so I don't want to create a tempest in a teapot, accuse anyone of anything, but.....We usually don't refer to others,at least in a friendly way, with joke names about their nationality or race. Suppose is okay when both party's call each other names and think it's funny, and it's not being done in a negative or derogatory way,but otherwise strikes me as kind of tacky at best.........

Wouldn't it be better to use their names?
Or just refer to them as the Japanese couple?
Am I alone in noticing this? Feeling this way?

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 7, 2006 04:27

Ono is a Japanese name, proper sur name ( as in Yoko ) and I have been introduced to them on more than one occaision as the Onos...so I assumed that was there real name.

Certainly do not see that as racist. And I cannot say anything except the kindest things about them.

I do think at this point as people began to recount meeting freinds on tour, and a specific couple came into view, that it has all becaome a tempest in a teapot as you say, but for maybe diffrent reasons.

None of us have trouble talking about hooking up with say Gazza, and his Irish roots are showing all over the net LOL. Does that make us racists...or merely name droppers.

OMG A new Level of celebrity worship as we jocky now to place ourselves within the circle of the fans that are most famous....

Maybe I shoud just go back to drugs.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 7, 2006 04:30

davido, isn't Ono their last name? why would it be wrong to refer to them by their last name?

Date: January 7, 2006 04:37

Hi Little Queenie!

If Ono is really their last name I stand corrected,
but I don't think it is..................(?)

Date: January 7, 2006 04:43

Hi Kahoosier!

Ah yes Yoko Ono! A good Japanese name,
and I'm a big fan of hers! Now there's
a potential tempest in a tea pot eh?
Okay, who's going to blame her for
breaking up the Beatles?!? ;-)

By the way, read an interview where she
says she likes the Barenaked Ladies song;
"You Can Be My Yoko Ono". Does anyone know
if this tune get much airplay outside of Canada?

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 7, 2006 05:22

hahahha davido...closet admission time...I have liked some of Yoko's stuff too and thought the "Season of Glass" was a brutally honest artistic statment.

Gained a lot of respect one day when an intervierwer asked, "When are you going to grow tired of playing the greiving widow?" She responded, " I am not playing, I am the greiving widow."

She did not break up the Beatles, competing ( Lennon and McCartny ) and emerging ( Harrison) egos broke that group up.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2006 06:00

davido Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Little Queenie!
>
> If Ono is really their last name I stand
> corrected,
> but I don't think it is..................(?)

well, its their name according to the newspaper article quoted above and also by other people who know them personally.....

Date: January 7, 2006 06:24

Hi Kahoosier!

Hey, I even like Yoko's Apple Discs:
POB, Fly, Approximately Infinite Universe,
and Feeling Space. The Unfisinished Music lps
are fine by me too. Few recognize how ahead of
their time John and Yoko were with their experimental
avante garde stuff. Listen to his guitar on Cambridge 69!!!
Tho granted, not for all tastes...................................

Date: January 7, 2006 06:27

Hi Gazza!

Hmmmm. Well I don't think so, based upon what they told us
about themselves at the rehearsal gate, but I'll respect BV's wishes here,
and respect their privacy, since they are not around.......

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2006 06:36

well..I think people are calling them "Ono" because as far as theyre concerned its their name. If for some bizarre reason, theyre really called something else, thats their business

How referring to someone by what appears to be their name to most people, including journalists, who have met them is some kind of racial slur is lost on me

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: January 7, 2006 07:06

wow ....quite the thred...............

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 7, 2006 08:35

Great article. I have heard of them, and figured that they were incredibly wealthy, and paid their way to those seats. Now that I know that they live in a rented two-room flat, I know that they are just crazy, but crazy in a great way. I wish I had the courage to live my life like that. Rock on

[RACISM!!!] Re: Jappanese Couple???
Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 7, 2006 09:01

As a person with Spanish ancestry, I would offer that anyone who identifies himself on his e-mail as 'eldavido' probably doesn't need to call other people 'racist' for asking (innocently) if a Japanese couple's last name is Ono.

Oh no, daddy-o, here we go again-o!

Realmente, no esta más que Rock n' Roll, hermanicito!!!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: January 7, 2006 14:00

Two great people and great friends.

Posted by: iFox ()
Date: January 7, 2006 14:36

ChrisM Wrote:
> So desu ka iFox-san. Shibainu ga imasu ka. Inu no
> onamae wa nan desu ka.

Shibainu imasen foxterier imasu. Namae wa Darfi desu.

Brno 22.07.07 & Warsaw 25.07.07

Date: January 7, 2006 16:29

Hi Scaffer!

Hmmm. Well my wife is Japanese.

Date: January 7, 2006 16:43

Maybe we're not taking about the same couple? The two we
met in Toronto can hardly speak English, unlike the couple
quoted at length in the article. My wifes spoke to them in
Japanese, and they said they aren't married are just two
friends who follow them around wherever they go.......
Of course the media likes a good story and an easy to
identify tag, so maybe that's how the name got used????

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 7, 2006 16:55

It's normal practice to refer to a couple by saying "the" before their surname and to add "s" to the surname. What on earth is racist about that?! I don't understand where you're coming from at all.

Date: January 7, 2006 17:14

Hi Beast!

Maybe some folks, like the reporter, call all Japanese "Ono" because
they can't be bothered to learn how to spell or say their real names?

Not racist? Good then! Like I said, no need for a tempest in a tea pot.
It's just nice to get it clarified so that no slights against these
fine folk are being unintentionally being made!

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: January 7, 2006 18:06

Some of you guys are so goddamned sensitive.
I can't really understand how you are able to leave the house and communicate with real people. Calm down and have a couple of drinks and bang your wife instead.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 7, 2006 18:25

Rank Outsider Wrote:
> Some of you guys are so goddamned sensitive.
> I can't really understand how you are able to
> leave the house and communicate with real people.
> Calm down and have a couple of drinks and bang
> your wife instead.

go f yourself jagoff

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 7, 2006 19:08

To anyone who might think that a story in a neswspaper means you have given an interview. How wrong can you be. And again and again and again. Don't believe everything you read.

Some times I talk to other people at shows or outside venues, or other places. In the past. Not so often anymore without taking great care. Then next day or so there is a story in a local newspaper, looking like I have done an interview. I never do. Many journalists try to do stories, they operate under cover, pretend they are fans, and next day you realize you had talked to a journalist, not a fellow fan. That is why I never talk about myself to any people I don't know. Because if they ask me about what I do, where I go, what shows I see, what ticket I have and all those other things which are really private, next day it is published in IORR or on Shidoobee or Rock Off or the local newspaper, like I had allowed this to be an interview or like I was a public person.

I know "the Japanese couple" personally. Very well. Tatsuo and Yukico Ono. If they wanted to be public then you would be told. By themselves. Don't take a random journalist story or RS.com or any other publication for their spokesperson. Did you ever ask them in person to make them a public subject of discussion? Don't you have any manners? Come on we are talking about grown up people here and I am sure you are not that tabloid here. Show some respect. May be you understand why people don't want to speak English? And may be you want to understand why people like me don't write reviews anymore in public or tell anyone anything personal? The only way to have some privacy.

Bjornulf

Date: January 7, 2006 19:30

Okay enuff said!

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: January 8, 2006 00:25

BV can set any "rules" he wishes for this forum, but in the end, as long as this remains a public forum available for anyone to read (including journalists), anything posted here is fair game for use by journalists.

In my opinion, BV's rules barring discussion of "non-public" persons makes a lot of sense precisely because this is a public forum. OTOH, as a former journalist myself, I'm not certain I share BV's definition of who is "public" and who is "non-public".

For instance, if I understand BV correctly, he believes that he should have the right to prevent journalists from writing about him and his role in the creation of this site. He believes he is a "non-public" person. Why should/would a journalist who wishes to write a story about fans of the Rolling Stones be barred from writing about BV, or Stonesdoug, or Steve Portigal, or anyone else who's done something similar in a most public manner?

Please understand: I support BV's right not to speak to reporters, and I support his right to try to maintain his privacy to the best of his ability. I also support Mick Jagger's right not to speak to the press, or to try to maintain his privacy, too.

However, if BV believes no one has the right to write a newspaper article about him and this Board, I think he is quite mistaken. As politely as I can say this, in the U.S., this right is clearly detailed in the 1st amendment to the Constitution.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 8, 2006 02:04

I used to be a journalist, and if journalists have indeed talked to bv without first identifying themselves as a journalist and then published his comments, then that is wrong and a violation of journalistic ethics. Journalists are always supposed to clearly identify themselves as such before conducting interviews.

If that ever happened to me, I would call or e-mail the newspaper it was published in the next day and complain loud and long. They would probably publish an apology/retraction, and even if they didn't that journalist would be on the shit list with their employers. If he or she ever got another similar complaint they would probably be fired.

But I must agree with high and dry that anyone who attends public concerts and willingly appears over and over on the giant video screen in front of the whole audience should not expect people to not comment on those activities, either from a journalistic/legal standpoint or a practical one. And it's not as if we have said anything bad about them on this thread - the gist of it has been "wow, this couple is really cool for doing this."

Still, it's bv's forum, and I will respect his wishes and not post in this thread anymore.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home