Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Love Train....live 40 flicks dvd
Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: January 5, 2006 06:55

its a cool tune ......wish they would do it again.....

Re: Love Train....live 40 flicks dvd
Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 5, 2006 07:21

"Love Train" blows worse than the Chicago wind in January. I'd rather hear an original Stones composition.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: January 5, 2006 07:26

Toker, I'm w/ you! When I did hear it for the 1st time in Chicago at Comiskey, I begged they wouldn't do it again, but they did. A Stones' concert is no place for a lame tune like that.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: January 5, 2006 07:33

Love Train is a 70s soul/disco classic, and the Stones' version doesn't hold a candle to the original from the O'Jays. Still, I was thrilled that Mick added it to the setlist 3 years ago. Like I need to hear them play gawddam Shattered one more freakin' time. Now _there_ is a song that's a piece of shite.

I find it _very_ amusing that so many here bitch about the Stones doing various soul music covers. My guess is most of the bitching comes from Stones fans who think "Some Girls" is an early album, and don't own anything from the Stones catalogue prior to Beggars.

I well recall my very first Stones album, purchased in 1965, "Out of Our Heads", with all those great Marvin Gaye and Sam Cooke song covers. Last Time and Satisfaction were on that album, of course, but I always loved the fact that Mick and Keith went out of their way _that_ long ago to pay tribute to the great soul singers and soul songs when they could have made more money with royalties from their own songs.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 5, 2006 10:50

shattered isn't exactly a warhorse - you're lucky to have seen it that many times - i was 11 when some girls came out but i went right out and bought the 60s albums

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: January 5, 2006 12:57

I was glad to hear Love Train on last tour. Seems like you either love it or hate it - no middle ground. They do Night Time /Right Time, though on this tour - brings the house down.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 5, 2006 13:07

It's one of the worst covers they've ever done. Wrong tune, wrong setting, wrong hat and jacket!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 5, 2006 14:40

Its great and its better than the original!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 5, 2006 14:49

Listening to the superb original version by the O'Jays, it immediately becomes apparent, that this HAS to be a Stones song!

I love it!

Date: January 5, 2006 14:53

I think it's a song that should have been dropped after the first month of the tour.No matter how many covers they've done,by definition it doesn't get any more Stones than Jagger/Richards original material.You can't blame someone for wanting to hear Stones songs at a Stones concert.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: January 5, 2006 15:52

High and Dry;

'The Last Time' actually is a cover of an old gospelish song. Some of the lyrics were changed though.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 5, 2006 17:05

Love train was great fun. Too many people need to take the bug out of their asses. Cant turn you Loose was even better

and, cover song or not, Night Time has been the musical highlight of this tour so far. In what has been a desert of uninspired setlists this time around, its inclusion has been a musical oasis.

Date: January 5, 2006 17:09

I you want to hear Love Train, go to an OJ's concert.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 5, 2006 17:18

i love the kick that the Stones are clearly getting out of playing these numbers.
and covers of music they love has always been a major Stones Thing. to me it's part of who they are, and i find it both beautiful in itself,
and also enlightening as all get out. the Stones understand where they come from, and they honest-to-God want us to understand it too.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 5, 2006 17:23

I din't like Love Train at all.
Didn't they rehears "Rainy day women"?
Well? What are they waiting for? A club gig?

Date: January 5, 2006 17:24

atip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I you want to hear Love Train, go to an OJ's
> concert.

so by the same yardstick if I want to hear a Chuck Berry song or a blues cover I should go and just watch those artists instead

Yeah, after all..the Stones are a band well known for having no sense of their musical roots arent they?

Date: January 5, 2006 17:27

ITS fun and funky ...... night time is the right time is sooooooooo good it almost brings a tear to my eye ...love ray charles........

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 5, 2006 17:29

tat2you Wrote:
> ITS fun and funky ...... night time is the
> right time is sooooooooo good it almost
> brings a tear to my eye ...love ray
> charles........

Hope they'll play it in Chicago. Lisa is supposed to be great on this song, isn't she?

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 5, 2006 17:32

stargroover Wrote:
> Its great and its better than the original!

You must be joking. Love Train is great by the O'Jays.......lame by the STones.

Date: January 5, 2006 17:44

Gazza, not necessarily, but the OJ's aren't Chuck Berry or the blues. Not to mention that if I want to hear Satisfaction, I don't go to a Britney Spears concert because she has any 'sense of her musical roots'.

Date: January 5, 2006 17:47

id imagine you dont go to a Britney concert solely because shes crap, more than anything else

the Stones' musical roots extend to R&B and soul too anyway, but each to their own winking smiley

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 6, 2006 11:26

I also like that track. It seems fresh and the boy may have had fun playing it. Why shouldn't they? They're the Stones and can do what they want.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 6, 2006 11:28

atip Wrote:
> Not to mention that if I want
> to hear Satisfaction, I don't go to a Britney
> Spears concert because she has any 'sense of her
> musical roots'.

I doubt Britney performs Satisfaction live. I't was'nt much of a hit for her. At least here in the UK anyway.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 7, 2006 16:31

highanddry Wrote:
>> Like I need to hear them play gawddam Shattered
> one more freakin' time. Now _there_ is a song
> that's a piece of shite.
>

HAD

> THank you Thank You Thank you. I Have quoted you verbatum on this exact subject many times. I would take love train anyday over Shattered. Studio stinks
and I have never seen a good live version or ever seen a good crowd reaction to this. Memphis last month was they worst version I have ever heard.

Date: January 8, 2006 01:33

Stones version of "Love Train" sucks more than an Electrolux vacuum with a 454 hemi motor attached to it. Screw playing lame cover tunes(except for Chuck Berry's tunes).

You can also take "Night Time" and trash it. I didn't pay a ton of money to hear a tribute to Ray Charles. Sorry.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 8, 2006 15:52

Midnight Toker Wrote:
> >
> You can also take "Night Time" and trash it. I
> didn't pay a ton of money to hear a tribute to Ray
> Charles. Sorry.

MT,

I am with you on Night time give me any original stones song instead. Except Shattered of course.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 8, 2006 16:03

I do agree. I don't wanna hear no Night Time either.
They have so many amazing original songs that they could do brilliant renditions of instead.
I'd even prefer they play a warhorse rather than sticking to that Ray Charles tune.

Date: January 8, 2006 17:33

LOL

Date: January 8, 2006 21:35

Give me "Silver Train" instead.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 9, 2006 02:01

Heard that song live several times during the Licks tour so I was never surprised when it's time came during a concert. However 1 poor chap setting next to me one night buried his head in his hands as the song was being played and muttered "the Stones have turned in to a lounge act."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home