Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
open the Vaults ! What if IORR/Shoebidoo fans contact Stones?
Posted by: kees ()
Date: January 3, 2006 23:17

Sofar the Stones have hardly released anything interesting from their great past beyond what is out at the moment. We all depend on the bootleggers for this.
My feeling is that if hardcore fans like us/Shoebidoo don't contact the Stones management on this, hardly anything interesting from the vaults will be released.
Bod Dylan has been releasing his bootleg series, Springsteen has released outtake albumbs and a great 30th anniversy Born to Run CD/DVD, Pearl Jam releases almost each gig for a cheap price,etc. but the Stones somehow don;t get it right.
I think we all would love:
- a DVD/live CD from each tour since the start (skip 81 + 2002/2003 because so much excellent bootlegs and offcial stuff released), espec. until 78 tour.
- rehearsals/outtakes from each CD (in excellent quality this time - skip VL...)

What if IORR/Shoebidoo would join hands, contact the RS Management and come up with a proposal.
Any ideas, opinions,etc?

Re: open the Vaults ! What if IORR/Shoebidoo fans contact Stones?
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 3, 2006 23:20

Absolutely, Cornelis! But this joint (and those others)
suffer a heavy lack of a Board, organization etc, right?
That is something that has to be solved.

Björnulf and a couple of other dudes as representatives?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 3, 2006 23:21

hey look this is what we all need the stones to do, and soon,
they should take a page from zep and all the others above and
let out some of that great footage that is going to waste,its
almost like mick is acting like the past didnt happen, bummer

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 3, 2006 23:23

You know kees you're going to get shot down. There will be naysayers but I am all for thinking big.
When I just recently saw a photo of Jagger playing with his laptop, and he had a Stones site up, it dawned on me that OF COURSE he checks us out.
BTW I dig your version of the Shedoobee clubhouse name LOL "...until the moment when we said our first hello little did we know...shoubidoo bidoo..."

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: January 3, 2006 23:24

mick should be ashamed of himself for hoarding that old footage,
its a disgrace to be that selfish

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 3, 2006 23:28

Well that is the ultimate question, isn´t it?
Why don't they do anything at all with their musical legacy, greatest mystery in the universe, even more so than the bigger Bang theory!
Look at Dylan,Springsteen,Elvis Costello,The Beatles, you name it.
Nah, 40 Licks platinum edition (with yellow tongue this time?), or "fanclub DVD",
let's give um that!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 3, 2006 23:29

...If I didnt make that clear, Kees´ idea is wonderful!
Please support him!! I do. Dont be cynical now, ol geezers!!

Posted by: Brad F ()
Date: January 3, 2006 23:32

Of course I agree that it would be nice if they would open the vaults, but I doubt that would happen until sometime after they have decided to stop touring and writing new material together.

Look at Led Zeppelin. They didn't even release "How the West Was Won" until over 20 years after they had been finished. In that sense, I hope they don't take a page from Led Zeppelin. I'd rather they did it with more of a sense of urgency.

I wonder though, who officially owns all of their unreleased material. Is it safe to assume, for example, that they own their unreleased "catalog" of materials that were recorded in, say, 1968? Does Allen Klein own (all of or part of) it? We might be assuming that they have more control of this than they really do, but again, it would be nice to see this stuff come out officially.

Date: January 3, 2006 23:37

kees this is a great idea, but this stuff is up to mick, i dont think
keith ronnie and charlie could care less, for sure charlie couldnt
but mick is too stingy and tight to let the stuff out, he would rather
hold it back for some unknown reason, like he is afraid the past will be better
than the present, which it is btw,thats why he acts like he cant remember
which album a song is from when he is onstage, but its funny how he remembers the fresh ones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-03 23:38 by melillo.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 3, 2006 23:41

I think they are waiting until they are no longer a vital or functioning live act before opening the dam: perhaps Mick and maybe all of them think nostalgia is for the sad or almost dead idea. However this doesn't really carry weight in the light of the (shoddy & pathetic non-rarities) Rarities album. So I'm all for it, great idea, what do we we have to lose?

Can we organise an e-petition somehow? Can we pass it on to other major (& minor) Stones boards?

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: January 3, 2006 23:41

This is a dumb idea. I don't need the stuff you named. I have most of the stuff you named as bootlegs.

Date: January 4, 2006 00:17

Why take the Led Z. example not the Dylan? Yes, Reptile, me too I have lots of stuff on bootlegs, owe some 800 originals. But there is much more and in much better quality.Or do you have a great 73 - 75 78 DVD gig in your possession?
What a waste Rarities is, why not put some serious effort in 'rarities releases' ?
IORR is known among the Stones and so are the people from Shoebidoo. In case the Stones respect their loyal fans I think there is a resonable chance some positive action will take place. First of all two things are important:
- who takes the lead (I would say BV and the guy presiding Shoebidoo)?
- we should come up with a clear wish list. It does not mean overasking but clearly indicating where our interest lies.

BV, are you interested to take action in this matter and contact S. person in charge?

Date: January 4, 2006 00:22

kees Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why take the Led Z. example not the Dylan? Yes,
> Reptile, me too I have lots of stuff on bootlegs,
> owe some 800 originals. But there is much more and
> in much better quality.Or do you have a great 73 -
> 75 78 DVD gig in your possession?

What makes you so sure such tapes even exist?

Date: January 4, 2006 00:28

Of course there are still rehearsals tapes somewhere (Mick, producers place?) and of course they recorded more gigs than released.
What about all the 81 stuff, New Barb., VL rehearsals, etc. what has come out and still comes out in soundboard quality? You have that all Reptile, so why question?

Date: January 4, 2006 00:42

kees Wrote:
> Of course there are still rehearsals tapes
> somewhere (Mick, producers place?) and of course
> they recorded more gigs than released.
> What about all the 81 stuff, New Barb., VL
> rehearsals, etc. what has come out and still
> comes out in soundboard quality? You have that all
> Reptile, so why question?

I mean the early/mid-seventies video's. It's not like it was regular to tape shows back then. Shows may have been recorded, but it was expensive to save those tapes back then. I mean, the tapes were big, they have to be stored, and they have to be maintained to keep them in proper condition. They'd probably say: "we ain't using it, so dump it". It's not like now, where you just put it all on a super small hard disk and you can keep it all for as long as you like.

Then you haven't even mentioned the fact that perhaps the recordings aren't of good enough quality to release.

Date: January 4, 2006 00:55

There is more and more than enough good material to release, wether it is different songs, alternate takes, they have thousands of hours studiotape in the vaults, it's not that difficult to release something like the bootleg series a la Bob Dylan. Agree with you that video material is more sparse, but also in that range there is plenty worthwile. For exmple The 1995 clubshows to name something. Pesonally I'm more for audio releases, but that's me.

Date: January 4, 2006 01:04

Ah well, I just don't really see why... I'm more than satisfied with what I got. Damn, they just released Rarities 1971-2003! Awesome CD, by the way.

Date: January 4, 2006 01:08

Rarities cd does contain an awesome Wild Horses, that's one eye opener for sure!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 4, 2006 01:26

just open the g-damn vaults already....don't be an old fart and dismiss yer past work

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 4, 2006 04:40

It would be good to keep posts like these happening for those times when MJ or KR might be watching... I wonder if they ever post as some strange pseudonym. They must! How could they resist?

I would LOVE some new releases of unreleased material!!!

Keep the posts going!

Date: January 4, 2006 04:52

they do watch this site, thats why sway was played on this tour,
just to shut us up, and then never played again, which is probably a good thing

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 4, 2006 04:57

You have my vote guys.
However, I don't think it's fair to always put the blame on Mick. Keith is also involved in the decision making.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 4, 2006 05:09

All for it - but there is SO much, including BBC stuff - don't they license their own material?, Decca/Abkco stuff (how would that work? How has it worked w/ joint projects), & post '71 stuff which I assume is controlled by the Stones.
Yes I have boots but I'd like annotated & carefully mastered versions, & such major upgrades can be revelatory.
Thus far they tried to do the Black Box, we got Metamorphosis; 20 years later "Rock & Roll Circus" film/cd, & these rather indifferent b-side/remixes/live collections, "Collectables" & "Rarities". A chronological series would be wonderful. Look at all the Hendrix gems from his '67-70 career, still coming out 35 years after his death. Can't say I was thrilled w/ the Beatles Anthology - but the Stones have a lot more, & a much longer career. I'm sure Mick sees Rarities as a Starbucks type project & is disinclined to dwell in the archives, which is why a passionate team & top notch engineer (Bob Irwin, Steve Hoffman, etc) works best - as w/ Hendrix, the Dead, Beau Brummels, etc.

Date: January 4, 2006 05:16

yeah but the rare stuff i want is not so much audio as it is video footage
of say complete shows from 69-71-73-78 on dvd , thats the stuff i yern for

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 4, 2006 11:21

It's a great idea, but there are many issues involved with a LOT of this stuff. Ownership is one -- they simply either don't own a LOT of the video footage or would need to deal with legal stuff to get the proper people paid etc. (Ladies & Gentlemen is a prime example of this).

Second there is the whole ABKCO issue of rights etc. (they 'own' everything through Brown Sugar, and about half of "Exile On Main Street" since most of it was done prior to Oct. 1970). Though they have recently been working with each other on things like 40 Licks and "Rarities" (intentional sarcastic quotes). But remember, a compilation of thier early BBC tracks, or a 2CD set of alternates and outtakes of a remastered DVD-Audio, 5.1 mix of "Let It Bleed" just puts money in ABKCO's pockets, not the Stones'.

Third you have to realize and remember that the Stones went through a frustrating period in the early to mid-70's when they were constantly competing with themselves. DECCA was releasing one or two compilations of their back catalog each year after the band left the label simply to sell more records based on their popularity. This was seen by the band as undermining their new and current product, and they never want to be in that situation again. Regardless of what you think their current music is like, they will not want to have it being compared to their past in a direct sales situation.

Finally, read the horrendously screwed up liners notes in the "Rarities" CD and any recent interviews that cover the topic - Mick simply feels that most things left in the can have been left there for a reason....they don't measure up. He admits on the odd occassion something like "Start Me Up" will resurface but most of it, according to him, is weaker material that simply did not stand up to the released stuff.

J

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 4, 2006 11:26

>> Though they have recently been working with each other on things like 40 Licks and "Rarities" <<

small side question: does ABKCO have anything to do with Rarities?
it looks like a purely post-ABKCO compilation to me, but maybe i'm missing something (as usual). :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 4, 2006 12:04

The idea has crossed my mind several times, so you have my blessing Kees! Surely they have a heart too and are willing to listen to us.

If there's anything I'm coveting it's a complete '69 soundboard, preferably one of the MSG shows. Now that would be the real holy grail.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 4, 2006 12:17

Bob Dylan is a lazy bastard that has only been releasing best of's and bootleg's for the last 9 years. All he has is his old material. Is that what you want the Stones to be? A nostalgia-act for 50 year-olds, performing nothing but Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, and so on? I want them to concentrate on making new material, like they do now. You guys never have enough. They have opened their "Vaults" for Rarities, which is a great disc, but it has just come out, and now you're whining about another one? Be realistic...

There's already '66, '75, '81, '89, '98 and 2002-2003 live discs. Tours were pretty much alike back then, except for a few songs. They released something from about every period. Be satisfied with what you got!

Date: January 4, 2006 12:21

I hope BV will reply to this matter and give his opinion.
Anyway, I think we should not be passive in this matter and give it a try.
Let's keep the subject going and start planning soon

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 4, 2006 12:37

Reptile Wrote:
> Bob Dylan is a lazy bastard that has only been releasing best of's and bootleg's for the last 9 years. All he has is his old material.

Time Out Of Mind, 1997.
Love And Theft, 2001.
Two really good Dylan albums, in my opinion.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2098
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home