Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

punk versus rock
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 2, 2006 00:16

watched a program on Punk here in iceland in, like 1977 to 1982. Must say was impressed by it: and in some ways i might like it more than rock. then i am refering to the nononsense, youdonthavetobecool, - approch of punk.
rock is to a large extent about being cool : clothes haircut, cool songs, posing on stage , dancing on stage, all that (shit...)

punk is more about , sheer power, honesty, cut the carp, dont take yourself seroiously, - thing..

what do you think o punk ?

Re: punk versus rock
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 2, 2006 00:18

Punk, pure meant, is rock. And vice versa.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 2, 2006 00:24

agree that punk is rock

but rock is punk ? : dont agree
there is more to rock than punk, and that is the (nonesense, bullshit) things as i described before.

shoot me..

Posted by: iFox ()
Date: January 2, 2006 00:25

Good punk can's be bad, right?

Lou Reed who is said to be one of the godfathers of punk never wanted to be connected with punk performers. He used to make jokes of punks like "find at least one punk who can use communicative English!"

I think punk was good for rock though. Like richter wrote: sheer power, honesty, cut the carp, dont take yourself seroiously

I think ABB was somehow influenced by punk...

Brno 22.07.07 & Warsaw 25.07.07

Date: January 2, 2006 00:27

Keith is punk. Mick´s not.
Keith was never spat at from the punx.

When I spoke of rock above I meant rock'n'roll.

It mat be deep, it may be short; I´m no sociologist, so I
wont use many words on this. Maybe some1 else... ?

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 2, 2006 00:27

the thing that hooked me into the punk movement in '76-'77 was the pure energy and do-it-yourself attitude, which was an inspiration to join a band and re-examine the "state of" rock music in general at that time...the Ramones and the British punk movement produced some great music imo...The Sex Pistols and the Clash were the frontrunners and bands like the Jam took the punk energy and incorporated it into their Who & Kinks style music....and some other bands from around the world... the Saints (Australia) & the Undertones (Ireland) came up with some good music as well...as far as fashion....Johnny Rotten stood out in '76-'78 with his vagabond, rag-tag d.i.y. look...as well as the Ramones with their torn jeans and leather jackets and mop-top hair-cuts to go along with their great music....in the early '80s the Replacements (Minnesota, u.s.a.) made some great punk lps without getting into the fashion game....the l.a. punk scene produced Fear, Black Flag, The Germs, X, etc.....the bastard son of rock'n'roll......i'm rambling here better stop

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-02 00:32 by Leonard Keringer.

Date: January 2, 2006 00:30

the Saints... Whoa...! Undertones... Now we talkin´...
Well; richter - very heard Finnish Hurriganes...

To me they´re the very missin link between raw punk & raw rock.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: January 2, 2006 02:15

Rock basically has 3 subcategory's:

Punk
Rock - Pop rock
Rock 'n' Roll
I mean, punk is rock. What would you call a punk band? AC/DC? Maybe. But aren't they a rock band?

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 2, 2006 02:27

imo...the punk is more in the "attitude" of the song......"Get Off Of My Cloud" has a punk vibe (Jagger was the prototype punk vocalist in his youth)......"Communication Breakdown" (Zeppelin) has "punk" energy to it...as does "Paranoid" (Sabbath)....the Stooges were definitely "punk'n'roll" (just listen to Iggy vent his rage on the "Raw Power" lp).....lots of aggession, energy and attitude....this thing they call punk

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 3, 2006 19:42

when i saw the video of keith signing little t&A on "you tube"

[youtube.com]

i couldn't help but liken it to punk - keith even looked the part! i loved it!

Date: January 3, 2006 21:39

Reptile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rock basically has 3 subcategory's:
>
> Punk
> Rock - Pop rock
> Rock 'n' Roll
> I mean, punk is rock. What would you call a punk
> band? AC/DC? Maybe. But aren't they a rock band?

Dont doubt it.
But who make those divisions really?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home