Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: The mighty "ABB" - no other Stones Album comes close to it
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 8, 2010 19:07

thabo
This constant critiscism is such a nonsense. I'll tell you that when this album would have been released by a new band, it would have been a sensation and would have dominated the nr 1 positions for weeks or months all over the world. but because it is just from the Stones it is not good enough. I honestly fear that even if the Rolling Stones would today make their best album ever, it would be panned down and not recognised as such. Maybe it is the midlife crisis most Stones "fans" are suffering from and hence shouldn't be taken to serious.

now, THAT'S some nonsense!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 8, 2010 19:08

I always loved (most of..)..the album, and 5 years later still listen to it and whilst it's obviously not in the same league as the Stones' meisterwerk's, it is a damn good, at times brillinat, piece of work.

It;s too long methinks, and simply reading some of the thoughts above gives a hint of just how chalk/cheese some tracks are to different people^

I absolutely love 'This Place is Empty', 'Laugh I nearly Died', 'Look what the Cat Dragged In', 'Let Me Down Slow'& 'Rain Fall Down'. Those 5 I think are brilliant and a welcome addition to the Stones' canon.

Just behind them are 'Rough Justice', 'Back of My Hand', 'Oh No Not You Again', 'She Saw me Coming' & 'Driving Too Fast.

Maybe adding 'Infamy' & 'Dangerous Beauty' to those 10 would make an excellent Stones album.

Fillers - Neo Con is awful imo, 'It Won't Take Long' just drones on without ever going anywhere, 'Streets Of Love' is too solo-Mick cheese to make it as a true Stones track, and 'Biggest Mistake', while good never really captures the attention like the best Stones ballads do.

Despite the filler, the presence of some brilliantly strong tracks make this worthy!

Love the album!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 8, 2010 19:23

To me it's completely redundant. It's a great dust collector! Perhaps with one exception: "Rough Justice" - a standard rocker that works pretty well live. Maybe it's an age-thing; younger Stones-fans seems to be more "forgiving"! The last really good album was "Tattoo You", some 30 years ago. I never bargain with that.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 8, 2010 19:40

StonesTod
thabo
This constant critiscism is such a nonsense. I'll tell you that when this album would have been released by a new band, it would have been a sensation and would have dominated the nr 1 positions for weeks or months all over the world. but because it is just from the Stones it is not good enough. I honestly fear that even if the Rolling Stones would today make their best album ever, it would be panned down and not recognised as such. Maybe it is the midlife crisis most Stones "fans" are suffering from and hence shouldn't be taken to serious.

No it's not. Listen a lot of guys here complain about "warhorses" yet if you ask them to make their own setlist, it contains exactly those warhorses again! Than they complain that the Stones are a nostalgia act. Yet all what those guys want to hear is those old early 1970's Stones songs themselves! Than they complain that Keith can't play in tune anymore, yet they swear that Keith IS the Rolling Stones. Well if that is not a hang to the past, and all was better 50 yrs ago, but not just that, also demand that past to be alive today, in other words a midlife crisis than what is?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 8, 2010 19:51

For me as i said i loved ABB when it was 1st released the only problem was it could have been better..Good songs could have
been even better if we saw more involment in its making from Keith and Woodie...Jagger is a great songwriter but together with Keith
they are GREAT songwriters....

I think us Old fans expect more from the Greatest band on earth...

Date: December 8, 2010 19:55

thabo
StonesTod
thabo

No it's not. Listen a lot of guys here complain about "warhorses" yet if you ask them to make their own setlist, it contains exactly those warhorses again! Than they complain that the Stones are a nostalgia act. Yet all what those guys want to hear is those old early 1970's Stones songs themselves! Than they complain that Keith can't play in tune anymore, yet they swear that Keith IS the Rolling Stones. Well if that is not a hang to the past, and all was better 50 yrs ago, but not just that, also demand that past to be alive today, in other words a midlife crisis than what is?

you seem to know alot about all of us here for someone who rarely posts.

your supposition regarding a mid-life crisis is preposterous. i won't presume to speak for others, but i don't like most of ABB because the song-writing is amateurish at best...what that has to do with the fact that I'm 51 and have been a lifelong stones fanatic is beyond me....

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: December 8, 2010 19:56

It's a shit album. Complete crap.

Date: December 8, 2010 20:04

Bimmelzerbott

you must be old

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: December 8, 2010 21:03

[/quote]

No it's not. Listen a lot of guys here complain about "warhorses" yet if you ask them to make their own setlist, it contains exactly those warhorses again! Than they complain that the Stones are a nostalgia act. Yet all what those guys want to hear is those old early 1970's Stones songs themselves! Than they complain that Keith can't play in tune anymore, yet they swear that Keith IS the Rolling Stones. Well if that is not a hang to the past, and all was better 50 yrs ago, but not just that, also demand that past to be alive today, in other words a midlife crisis than what is?[/quote]

Bullseye!

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: December 8, 2010 21:50

One of the good albums but may be the worst cover design.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: December 8, 2010 22:04

Greatness (Exile for example) stands the test of time. At the moment I don't like it, but who knows, maybe in forty years I will see the light. I gave it another listen recently and decided that 'She Saw Me Coming' was kind of fun, but fun doesn't = greatness. Always liked 'Laugh I Nearly Died', and SOL worked well live at Qwest in '06 although many think it's about as bad as it gets.

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: December 8, 2010 22:23

It's basically a standard rawk album, and I don't have much time for that. It's bland.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 8, 2010 23:25

LeonidP
i actually like the album a lot due to several songs, but i am very puzzled at how much some seem to like the songs that i think are so incredibly bad. for example, Rain Fall Down and Dangerous Beauty are non-listen-able (as is Look What the Cat..), yet so many speak like they are incredible songs. NO! They are really bad songs, up there with the Stones worst tracks. Horrible writing, horrible lyrics, etc. Good thing there is Rough Justice, Let Me Down, Laugh, Infamy, & Back of My Hand to offset these tracks.

Now I love this album and I listen to it more than any other post break up album. Still listen to it all the time, just a few duds in my opinion.

LeonidP and I couldn't be farther apart in our opinions though. I happen to love Rain and Cat and skip over Rough Justice, Laugh and Infamy. Rough Justice to me is just past their prime Stones rocker with stupid lyrics, and Infamy is just awful and should have been left on the floor with Keith.

ABB gives me hope for another killer from the Stones and add the Exile extras, forget it, I think they will deliever.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 8, 2010 23:36

T[/quote]

No it's not. Listen a lot of guys here complain about "warhorses" yet if you ask them to make their own setlist, it contains exactly those warhorses again! Than they complain that the Stones are a nostalgia act. Yet all what those guys want to hear is those old early 1970's Stones songs themselves! Than they complain that Keith can't play in tune anymore, yet they swear that Keith IS the Rolling Stones. Well if that is not a hang to the past, and all was better 50 yrs ago, but not just that, also demand that past to be alive today, in other words a midlife crisis than what is?[/quote]

Agree 100% I rarely ever listen to BB or LIB, those songs are like Stairway to Heaven to me. Great tunes ruined by OVEREXPOSURE. I would love if the Stones didn't play any songs off those 2 LPS and skip HTW and Brown Sugar too.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 8, 2010 23:50

bassplayer617
If you add the two songs, "We Don't Wanna Go Home" and "Under the Radar", then, yeah, you've got one of the best Stones albums ever. An "Exile" for the 21st century.

...ando so we can say that 'We don't wanna go home' is one the best Stones songs ever, a very masterpiece, the 'Rocks Off' of 21st century. confused smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 9, 2010 02:36

Doxa
There are good songs, but most of the fascination is based on having a deja vu -feeling.........But the truth is that the band has lost its muse long ago. The creative spark is gone. - Doxa

Well, ABB is slightly better than the one with the lion on the cover....
Ehh, its what you say - the thrill of listening to that band, those guys is enough to get you through a latter-day Stones album, but the staying power is not there. I love "Oh No Not You Again" because it...sounds like the Stones. I still like it, the best cut on ABB for me.....but it doesn't measure up to say, "Respectable", even though its raucous, driving etc...
but like you Doxa,, I don't expect another masterpiece from the Stones, that is only wishful thinking. Its not cynicism, its just recognizing that these guys will never match their peak again, just as Dylan will never recreate Blood on the Tracks or anything that matches "Isis". He can try, and may echo a certain feel...but the fire that burned then is gone. Stones fans hate to hear that, but it isn't a bad thing, just part of being an artist. Aretha Franklin will never recreate "I Never Loved a Man" -
These artists were so brilliant, burned so bright with creativity at their peak - that cannot last forever.
Everytime I hear about the Stones "summitt in Zurich" or wherever, Im like 'Eh..'
Im more excited about Daniel Day Lewis playing Lincoln in the Speilberg film set for 2012......I will still get that thrill when I hear the first strains of a new Stones album, but I rarely listen to the new stuff more than a few times and hardly never after its initial release. I know, that makes me a bad Stones fan...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-09 02:39 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 9, 2010 03:11

Albums by the Rolling Stones ceased to be artistic statements many years ago and became fodder for a new tour instead. They have nothing new to say. Doesn't mean some of the songs and performances are not enjoyable - they are still the same band (mostly). So between the one "with the lion on the cover", the other one very much like it (Voodoo something) and ABB, I don't much care. I gave each of them a chance, which is frankly more than they deserved. But would I rather have a bad Rolling Stones album with Mick Jagger playing more instruments instead of various rappers and Dust Brothers and other "contemporary" distractions? Yeah. So on that count I liked ABB slightly better than those other two. But the first time I heard Keith sing that line about "sit down and bare your breasts" I nearly threw the CD out of the car.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-09 03:58 by 71Tele.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 9, 2010 03:19

71Tele

But the first time I heard Keith sang that line about "sit down and bare your breasts" I nearly threw the CD out of the car.

And how did I miss that?!
I've been a Stones fans since 1979 and know, like most of us here, most of everything there is to know about not only the band, but their women, their "friends", the time-line of their clothes, hairstyles, the kind of perfume Mick Jagger puts on his ass (some French shit) etc...
But for the life of me, I cannot produce a songlist from the last four albums.
What does that say?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-09 03:21 by stupidguy2.

Date: December 9, 2010 03:25

stupidguy2
71Tele

But the first time I heard Keith sang that line about "sit down and bare your breasts" I nearly threw the CD out of the car.

And how did I miss that?!
I've been a Stones fans since 1979 and know, like most of us here, most of everything there is to know about not only the band, but their women, their "friends", the time-line of their clothes, hairstyles, the kind of perfume Mick Jagger puts on his ass (some French shit) etc...
But for the life of me, I cannot produce a songlist from the last four albums.
What does that say?

it says you're a gentleman and a scholar. cheers.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 9, 2010 04:15

ABB makes dirty work look like exile

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 9, 2010 06:10

I'm glad to hear that fans are enjoying the newest album, but I am not in that group. For me, along with GHS, it's the worst thing they have ever done. The dreadful lyrics are painful to hear and I wish they were in a language I didn't understand.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 9, 2010 06:56

IMHO, Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge are far superior.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 9, 2010 06:59

Bliss
I'm glad to hear that fans are enjoying the newest album, but I am not in that group. For me, along with GHS, it's the worst thing they have ever done. The dreadful lyrics are painful to hear and I wish they were in a language I didn't understand.

What? GHS is a classic: Winter? Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)? Star Star? Dancing With Mr. D.?

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: December 9, 2010 07:20

ABB seems very insincere to me, made purely so the Stones could get out on tour. The most meaningful thing it says is that Mick's getting a bit old but still wants to have sex. A lot of sex.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 9, 2010 07:59

There's nothing enduring about it. Five years on, I don't find myself playing it, in its entirety or in excerpts. Ever.

Date: December 9, 2010 12:37

StonesTod
Bimmelzerbott

you must be old

...or bored?!...

P.S.: you're taking that "midlife crisis" quote by Thabo (btw: welcome, dude! Even if it's just a new 'nick' you're using... Who knows?! winking smiley)a bit personal aren't you, StonesTod?!

I think Thabo has a definite point - Though I might add that I think he didn't mean midlife crisis as such; more like midlife crisis in some's existance as a Stonesfan... (Feel free to add and/or correct if you think it's necessary, Thabo!)

And yes, I too (mostly) agree with him. And I might add to the (growing!) list of frustrations with these particular 'midlife' stonesfans: the almost dictatorial claim that the Rolling Stones stopped making "GOOD" music ever since the mid '70s (you know, "around when MT left..."?!), and the right they attribute themselves to dismiss of the current Stones as "the 'Vegas' edition" (sucking ALL the irony out of that catchphrase...) - it freezes my balls off. They have no right; they don't know everything - I grant them their (very, very personal!) sense of taste; but it is by no means representative for us ALL - and definitely not compatible with mine (in my mid 40's right now; enjoying a full-blast midlife crisis as we speak, by showing it MY BLADE...) - much as I love L&G, Exile, Brussels '73 etcetera.

Hooping for & looking forward to some sparkling, kick-ass, gasoline-fueled renditions of "Rough Justice" a.o. on stages worldwide in '11-'12!!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-09 14:27 by MississippiBullfrog.

Date: December 9, 2010 17:21

MississippiBullfrog
StonesTod
Bimmelzerbott

you must be old

...or bored?!...

P.S.: you're taking that "midlife crisis" quote by Thabo (btw: welcome, dude! Even if it's just a new 'nick' you're using... Who knows?! winking smiley)a bit personal aren't you, StonesTod?!

I think Thabo has a definite point - Though I might add that I think he didn't mean midlife crisis as such; more like midlife crisis in some's existance as a Stonesfan... (Feel free to add and/or correct if you think it's necessary, Thabo!)

And yes, I too (mostly) agree with him. And I might add to the (growing!) list of frustrations with these particular 'midlife' stonesfans: the almost dictatorial claim that the Rolling Stones stopped making "GOOD" music ever since the mid '70s (you know, "around when MT left..."?!), and the right they attribute themselves to dismiss of the current Stones as "the 'Vegas' edition" (sucking ALL the irony out of that catchphrase...) - it freezes my balls off. They have no right; they don't know everything - I grant them their (very, very personal!) sense of taste; but it is by no means representative for us ALL - and definitely not compatible with mine (in my mid 40's right now; enjoying a full-blast midlife crisis as we speak, by showing it MY BLADE...) - much as I love L&G, Exile, Brussels '73 etcetera.

Hooping for & looking forward to some sparkling, kick-ass, gasoline-fueled renditions of "Rough Justice" a.o. on stages worldwide in '11-'12!!

it's interesting that there seems to be a continual strain of thinking that if a stones fan has a gripe with something they've done that it somehow is a negative reflection on the fan. that the fan is bored, or having some crisis of some kind. BV himself has stated claims like this several times in the past. Why is that? Why can't a stones fan just not like something they've done without it representing something "wrong" with the fan?

I don't like alot of what these guys have done, particularly in the last 25 years. I know what I like and what I don't like - it has nothing to do with my age, my degree of boredom or midlife-crisis-ness...nor anything other than my particular tastes in music. They are my favorite band ever, but that doesn't mean I blindly (or deafenly) applaud everything they do.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 9, 2010 17:29

StonesTod
Bimmelzerbott

you must be old

Indeed you must be very old

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 9, 2010 17:44

I still love when they do bluesy type numbers. The fact that Back of My Hand was included was the key seller for me. I love tracks like The Storm, Jump On Top Of Me, Blue (mick solo), but it seems like for a long time the Stones have stayed away from including these types of tracks on the release, and hid them as b-sides. The next album should have 2 or 3 of these types of tracks. Ronnie w/ slide, bluesy riff & Mick on harp will always do it for me! (or considering older tracks, Brian or Mick Taylor for that matter).

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 9, 2010 17:46

Mostly good CD - shouldn't be mentioned with the big 4 though.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2219
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home