Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any Stephen King fans out there? (Stones related)
Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: December 21, 2005 17:14

I've been reading a short story called "Autopsy Room Four" in the book "Everything's Eventual" that tells about 2 medical examiners working on a body that may -or may not- be dead while listening to a Stones tape. Although no specific album title is mentioned, it sounds like they're listening to Rewind since it says the song changes from "It's Only Rock-n-Roll" to "Emotional Rescue" to "Start Me Up" then to "Hang Fire."

I have read most of King's books, and I seem to recall several other Stones references in them although nothing specific comes to mind right now. King frequently cites rock music references in his work. Pretty cool. I think that was one of the reasons I was attracted to his books in the first place.

Re: Any Stephen King fans out there? (Stones related)
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: December 21, 2005 18:12

Several Stones songs used in his books, which I always loved to see. Some that come to mind was on in Firestarter, forget which song now but it was from Goats Head Soup.......Undercover was used in Tommyknockers and although not in the book itself, the tv movie of The Stand used the line Please to meet you hope you guessed my name when Randall Flagg introduced himself. Many others but can't recall them all right now. But used a fictional Stones song by referencing the Stones playing a blues number in Bag of Bones also.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 21, 2005 20:01

Very much into King. Truly.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: December 22, 2005 03:53

gimme shelter in one of his short stories - roadwork. the character (a loser who is walking towards the houseparty, and is beginning to peak on mescaline) hears gimme shelter from the open window. He also bought three albums that day. Abby Road, Dela Vu, and Let It Bleed. He likes Let it bleed beacause its loud and thumping.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 22, 2005 04:09

I used to be a big King fan but sort of lost interest in the early '90s. He is definitely a rock fan and has a lot of rock references in his work. Apparently during the '70s and '80s he did about as much coke as most rock stars of the time. He also occasionally plays in a band. I think it is called the Rock Bottom Remainders. There are several other authors in it, I believe Dave Barry is one.

Can anybody recommend any good King stuff from 1990 and up? I wouldn't mind checking out some of his more recent material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-23 00:28 by ohnonotyouagain.

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: December 22, 2005 05:14

The Green Mile is a great book. I also like Hearts in Atlantis and From a Buick 8 from his later (post 1990) works. Dreamcatcher is a decent book. Don't let the crappy movie version spoil that story for you.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 22, 2005 13:16

Rock 'n' Roll Heaven... Population: .....

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: December 22, 2005 13:24

Have most of the books but haven't read any thing of his in the last 5 years or so. The earlier stuff was great but he went a bit off the boil, still light years ahead of most other writers though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home